How do I get the downloaded file name?

MikeRowley403MikeRowley403 Mike RowleyCAMember ✭✭✭

I have my app downloading a file using the DownloadManager, however if I take the pointer from the Enqueue method and pass it to GetUriForDownloadedFile I always get a null however the file downloads every time.

I need the downloaded file name as it may not always match the filename on the server as the DownloadManager appends a -# on the file if duplicates are downloaded. Any suggestions on how to get the downloaded file name so that I can pass it to a Send Intent?

Thanks
M

Android.Net.Uri contentUri = Android.Net.Uri.Parse(uri);
            Android.App.DownloadManager.Request r = new Android.App.DownloadManager.Request(contentUri);
            r.SetDestinationInExternalPublicDir(Android.OS.Environment.DirectoryDownloads, filename);
            r.AllowScanningByMediaScanner();
            r.SetNotificationVisibility(Android.App.DownloadVisibility.VisibleNotifyCompleted);
            Android.App.DownloadManager dm = (Android.App.DownloadManager)Xamarin.Forms.Forms.Context.GetSystemService(Android.Content.Context.DownloadService);
            var savedFile = dm.GetUriForDownloadedFile(dm.Enqueue(r));

• MikeRowley403MikeRowley403 Mike Rowley CAMember ✭✭✭

As is common with Xamarin Forums, I am answering my own question.
    The solution is a bit convoluted, it appears you cannot get the URI for a downloaded file until the DownloadManager is done with the download. I solved my issue by catching the completed download in a BroadcastReceiver. DownloadIDsToShare is a List to ensure I don't fire the share intent on every downloaded file but only those where the user has clicked the Share Button.

[BroadcastReceiver]
        [IntentFilter(new[] { DownloadManager.ActionDownloadComplete })]
        class BootCompletedBroadcastMessageReceiver : BroadcastReceiver
        {
            public override void OnReceive(Context context, Intent intent)
            {
                long dwnId = intent.GetLongExtra(DownloadManager.ExtraDownloadId, 0);
                if (MainActivity.CurrentActivity.DownloadIDsToShare.Contains(dwnId))
                {
                    Android.App.DownloadManager dm = (Android.App.DownloadManager)Xamarin.Forms.Forms.Context.GetSystemService(Android.Content.Context.DownloadService);
                    var fileURI = dm.GetUriForDownloadedFile(dwnId);
                    var shareFile = new ShareFileService();
                    shareFile.Share(fileURI.ToString());
                }
            }
        }

• SirAndriySirAndriy Andriy Kolodiychyk USMember ✭✭✭

good job @MikeRowley403!!!

• PeerlessProgrammerPeerlessProgrammer Daniel Dickey USUniversity ✭✭

Very helpful @MikeRowley403

For others that would like more help I found a book through hours of searching that had a good explanation.
    Xamarin Mobile Development for Android Cookbook!
    https://books.google.com/books?id=3fSoCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA145#v=onepage&q&f=false

Hope that helps others that may be struggling.