Disable tabbed page swiping when using FormsAppCompatActivity

Hi, I am building an app in Xamarin Forms and have been using Xlab as the base class for the Main Activity on the Android side. I just switched to FormsAppCompatActivity as described in this link: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/platform-features/android/appcompat/

By default the tabbed pages can be swiped. How do I disable swiping?

Best Answers

Answers

• LushLush USMember ✭✭

Hi @LazareenaThaveethu! Did you find a solution to this issue?

Thanx!

• DionisOliveiraDionisOliveira USDeveloper Group Leader ✭✭
    edited August 2016

HI @Lush !

This solution worked for me.

public class CustomTabbedRenderer : TabbedPageRenderer
    {
    protected override void OnElementChanged(ElementChangedEventArgs e)
    {

var info = typeof(TabbedPageRenderer).GetTypeInfo();
            // Disable animations only when UseAnimations is queried for enabling gestures
            var fieldInfo = info.GetField("_useAnimations", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);

fieldInfo.SetValue(this, false);

base.OnElementChanged(e);

// Re-enable animations for everything else
            fieldInfo.SetValue(this, true);
        }
    }

• BrightLeeBrightLee KRMember ✭✭✭

@bunny-wabbit
    Hi, What if I want opposite?

I want to enable swipe but don't want animation when I press tab because when I hit fourth tab from first tab is passes through every other tab and it makes app slow.

Thanks.

• Hello! While trying to use this code, i'm getting System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Any help?

• krishnamvermakrishnamverma USMember ✭✭

Hi All. I tried the above codes marked as answers to this question but still I am not able to disable the swipe gesture for tabbed pages in my application.
    I have created a tabbed page for which I have added a custom renderer in my Android project containing above code.
    I have recently updated all Xamarin components.
    I just wanted to ask if there anyone else also facing same issue or do I need to add something more which is not mentioned here. Or can the Xamarin update affecting this code?

• EnriqueRangelEnriqueRangel USMember

@krishnamverma, apparently with the last update, this code not work, at least on my app that code stopped working.

• mwasimmwasim USMember ✭✭

@EnriqueRangel said:
    @krishnamverma, to extend the previous comment, with the last xamarin forms update (2.3.4.231) to disable the swipe gesture in tabbed forms, I use this code and is working.

using Xamarin.Forms.PlatformConfiguration.AndroidSpecific;

namespace AppNamespace
        {
            public partial class MainPage : Xamarin.Forms.TabbedPage
            {
                public MainPage()
                {
                    InitializeComponent();

this.On<Xamarin.Forms.PlatformConfiguration.Android>().SetIsSwipePagingEnabled(false);
                }
            }
        }

Yes this solution works well on and above xamarin forms update (2.3.4.231).

• yasiralijavedyasiralijaved PKUniversity ✭✭

@EnriqueRangel said:
    @krishnamverma, to extend the previous comment, with the last xamarin forms update (2.3.4.231) to disable the swipe gesture in tabbed forms, I use this code and is working.

using Xamarin.Forms.PlatformConfiguration.AndroidSpecific;

namespace AppNamespace
        {
            public partial class MainPage : Xamarin.Forms.TabbedPage
            {
                public MainPage()
                {
                    InitializeComponent();

this.On<Xamarin.Forms.PlatformConfiguration.Android>().SetIsSwipePagingEnabled(false);
                }
            }
        }

This worked for me. Thanks

• franoisLecointefranoisLecointe USMember ✭✭
    edited August 2017

I work on Crossplatform and I also use syncfusion for a listview with a left / right swipe and the latter is in my tabbed (or the fact that I need to lock the tabbed swipe)

I try the proposed solution, the worry is that, because I am on crossplatforms, there is an error on:
    public partial class MenuPrincipal : TabbedPage

Indeed, he tells me that "TabbedPage is an ambiguous reference" the enbuggeée being done between the TabbedPage of Android and the TabbedPage of Forms.

How can I remedy this? I have to make a renderer? If this is the case, I can not use this function (despite the tutorial)

edit: Sorry, it's morning at home ^^'
    public partial class MenuPrincipal : Xamarin.Forms.TabbedPage
    quite simply

• mandy0007mandy0007 INMember ✭✭

If you wish to do it form code behind you can use following

• @BrightLee said:
    @bunny-wabbit
    Hi, What if I want opposite?

I want to enable swipe but don't want animation when I press tab because when I hit fourth tab from first tab is passes through every other tab and it makes app slow.

Thanks.

Guys, any solution for this, please?