Workbooks & Inspector 0.8.0 Released

abockabock Aaron BockoverUS Xamurai
edited May 2016 in Workbooks & Inspector

As freshly demoed during the Evolve 2016 opening keynote, a new Workbooks & Inspector release is now available offering support for iOS Workbooks on Windows and improved NuGet support!

Download

Documentation

Sessions To Watch

• softlionsoftlion Benjamin Mayrargue FR ✭✭✭

Hello,
    i tryed the inspector on Mac, i use Xamarin studio on beta channel, i updated it, but the inspector button does not shows up when the app is started for debugging.
    The about box correctly displays that inspector is loaded though.

I also tryed from Visual Studio (beta chan too), the inspector button shows up but when the app is launched fr debugging the button stays grayed.

Is there another requirement ?

Build options includes "enable profiling", "enable debugging", "enable incremental builds", "dont link", "use sgen", "float as 64 bits", "value type sharing"

I tryed without "enable profiling", then without "incremental builds". No luck.

I'm debugging on ios simulator 4s / ios 9.3

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong Sandy Armstrong US Xamurai

@softlion Workbooks are free, but inspecting your own app is an Enterprise feature. If you have an enterprise license, please send logs to help us troubleshoot your issue. Thanks!

... only business. It was working with the previous version on business... The installer or your documentation should at least notify that, instead of let us loose time trying to find a non existant problem.

The enterprise requirement has been present and documented for a few releases now. We will be improving the installer to be more clear.

• MurtazaMaqboolMurtazaMaqbool Murtaza Maqbool US

Hello,
    I've downloaded and installed Inspector on my Mac successfully using the download link provide on this forum.
    When I try to use the sample workbooks it doesn't load them up. The only workbooks I can start are:
    Xamarin.Mac (Mobile Profile)
    Xamarin.Mac (.NET 4.5 Profile)
    When I try to load Xamarin.iOS or Xamarin.Android the workbook opens and I see the loading spinner forever.

Let's hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks,
    Murtie

@MurtazaMaqbool I saw in the other thread that you're on the alpha channel, so that could be the issue.

For Android, do you have Xamarin Android Player installed? Do you have a KitKat (Android 4.4) or newer device set up with it?

• yonifrayonifra Jonathan Fraimorice IL

This is just amazing, really. Saw the demo on Evolve 2016 and immediately downloaded it. Great learning tool!

@SandyArmstrong At this price, i prefer to go with revealapp.com, it's 89$ and has much more features.

@softlion Reveal.app is a really fantastic tool; if it suits your needs then that is great. :-) Unfortunately it doesn't support live code injection like the Xamarin Inspector, which is one of the primary reasons we felt the need to create our own tool.

• RichardSevioraRichardSeviora Richard Seviora CA

I'll add my voice to @softlion in saying that the requirement for an enterprise license should be much clearer in both your documentation and the installer. Right now the overall effect is something like:

HEY LOOK AT THIS REALLY COOL THING WE JUST DID

(but you need an enterprise license, sorry if you've wasted time trying to debug this because there's absolutely zero indication in the IDE that you're trying to use a feature you're not licensed for)

• abockabock Aaron Bockover US Xamurai

@RichardSeviora the 0.8.1 release has updated installers that now should make it clear that Workbooks and Live Inspection support will be installed (as distinct features), but that Live Inspection is an XS/VS Enterprise-only feature.

Apologies for the confusion as we've been trying to clean up the mess after Workbooks was split out of Inspector. Both Workbooks and Inspector are still preview products.