How to get Xamarin Studio and LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 to coexist on OS X 10.11

dlechdlech David LechnerUSMember ✭✭

A bit of background for those not familiar with LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3, this is a programming software for the latest generation LEGO robotics system. It is based on National Instruments LabVIEW which uses MonoMac and Mono 2.10.9 as well as Microsoft Silverlight. It is available for download at http://mindstorms.lego.com.

And I just updated to Xamarin Studio Community:

Xamarin Studio Community
Version 6.0 (build 4968)
Installation UUID: b4ddb385-ad0f-4b4a-a190-4d1e726da8a7
Runtime:
    Mono 4.4.0 (mono-4.4.0-branch/a3fabf1) (64-bit)
    GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

Package version: 404000122

Xamarin.Profiler
Not Installed

Apple Developer Tools
Xcode 7.3 (10183.3)
Build 7D175

Xamarin.iOS
Not Installed

Xamarin.Android
Not Installed

Xamarin Android Player
Not Installed

Xamarin.Mac
Not Installed

Build Information
Release ID: 600004968
Git revision: ab7092ce63351276394f283e4f9c8646baf51fce
Build date: 2016-04-08 09:30:34-04
Xamarin addins: be0a0aef6ec8b075b4ba4690bd147d1e33c2abd7
Build lane: monodevelop-lion-cycle7

Operating System
Mac OS X 10.11.4
Darwin gerda.lechnology.com 15.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 15.4.0
    Fri Feb 26 22:08:05 PST 2016
    root:xnu-3248.40.184~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Both of these programs seem to want to use the "current" mono framework. When I install the LEGO software, Xamarin Studio gives the error: "Could not launch Xamarin Studio/This application requires Mono 4.3 or newer/Please download and install the latest version of Mono.". So, I have to reinstall Mono to get Xamarin Studio to start. Then the LEGO software will no longer start. I have to reinstall the LEGO software (which reinstalls Mono 2.10.9) and I also have to reinstall Microsoft Silverlight to get the LEGO software to start. But this breaks Xamarin Studio.

Is there any way to get these to work without the endless reinstalling each time I want to use a different program?

Both frameworks are installed in /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/, so I am guessing that it just has to do with the fact that both of these programs depend on some symlinks such as Current in the framework directory.

Best Answer

• dlechdlech David Lechner USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

LEGO has (mostly) fixed this in their EV3 software in v1.3. The LEGO installer still breaks Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio, but after re-installing Mono to fix Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio, the LEGO app will still open without having to re-install the LEGO software.

Answers

• LennyLenny Lenard Bartha USMember

I had the same problem and I hate it. Didn't figure it out yet, but if you do please post the solution!

• TakehikoYOSHIDATakehikoYOSHIDA Takehiko YOSHIDA JPMember

I'm suffering from the same trouble with Visual Studio for mac, too.

I filed a bug a while back. Someone finally answered, but still no solution.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41711

• Johan_SchoemanJohan_Schoeman Johan Schoeman ZAMember ✭✭

May 2017, and still the same issue for me too: MacOs Sierra: Xamarin and EV3 software don't play nice!

• Johan_SchoemanJohan_Schoeman Johan Schoeman ZAMember ✭✭

I have contacted LEGO support, and while the support person was very polite, it was clear that no fix is foreseen for this issue. I was told to look at alternatives to the LABView software.

I though about doing this a while back, but never got around to it...

It should be possible to make a "Mono Version Selector" tool that simply updates the Current symlink (and possibly other symlinks) in /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/

But, since there are constant Mono updates, I've just been doing lots of installing and reinstalling to switch back and forth.

Accepted Answer

LEGO has (mostly) fixed this in their EV3 software in v1.3. The LEGO installer still breaks Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio, but after re-installing Mono to fix Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio, the LEGO app will still open without having to re-install the LEGO software.