Visual Basic in Xamarin

CrazyDudeCrazyDude USMember ✭✭

Ok, don't give me "just learn C#" or "C# is just like VB". I'm just asking a question. :) SO yeah, I was so happy to hear Microsoft bought Xamarin. In the past I've posted about this subject and Xamarin claimed they didn't have enough interest to develop support for VB.NET. But now that Microsoft owns it and is the creator of VB.NET, may we see VB.NET support in Xamarin in the future?

Tagged:

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope this help

https://blog.xamarin.com/mobile-apps-with-visual-basic-xamarin-forms/

but a good solution is to learn c# ;)

• CrazyDudeCrazyDude USMember ✭✭

I've seen that almost useless workaround. That was then, this is now. Microsoft has real money to put into this. And if they don't by the time I'm ready, I'll learn C#. But I feel so much more comfortable in VB. Maybe it's because I'm old. This is not meant to be turned into a C# vs. VB.NET war, because that's futile.

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart DEMember ✭✭✭✭

There is another reason to switch to C#. Besides Xamarin, there are tons of exremely helpful components on GitHub written in C# that complement the Xamarin libs. Without them live as mobile developer us really hard

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrazyDude

I understand where your coming from. 5 years back I used to code in VB.NET & Winforms but then I started in WPF and quickly realised all the best frameworks etc didn't bother with VB.NET. You can do it with WPF but TBH I didn't find people as willing to assist. I switched to C# as a result but as I was doing some Javascript at the time i found the switch easier than expected. It's a nicer language to code in and despite still missing a few VB language shortcuts overall.

For Xamarin, I've seen little appetite for VB.NET support and as Thomas says, all the samples, forum snippets, pluggins etc are all written in C#. I don't think the MS acquisition of Xamarin will change this situation at all.

Thanks everyone, especially Norman. I probably will probably jump straight to C#, especially since the VB.NET user base has dwindled. Classic VB in it's day was way more popular than VB.NET has been apparently. C# is the way to go, if for nothing else, sheer popularity. That being said, why not just drop VB.NET from from Visual Studio completely? Who needs it? No one it sounds like.

@CrazyDude said:
    Thanks everyone, especially Norman. I probably will probably jump straight to C#, especially since the VB.NET user base has dwindled. Classic VB in it's day was way more popular than VB.NET has been apparently. C# is the way to go, if for nothing else, sheer popularity. That being said, why not just drop VB.NET from from Visual Studio completely? Who needs it? No one it sounds like.

Until VS2008, VB.NET was pretty horrific syntax wise from what I remember. I wrote a multi-channel music video/scrolling news feeds/advertising/sms jukebox/ multi channel-audio channel system touch screen system in VB6 and a bit of C++ that was in 250+ bars and restaurants so yes, classic VB was much nicer IMO. It just fell (very) short on threading and handing big integers, callbacks though but not really what it was designed for.

For a happy Xamarin journey, you need C# :wink:

Thanks guys. From what I can see on coding statistics, hardly anyone uses VB.NET anyway. Can we delete this entire thread? :smile:

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Take this thread for the history and open one "Why is C# better then VB.NET?"

@CrazyDude

It's worth keeping as others will have the same question and it was a perfectly valid question. I think the main user base is enterprise customers who want to stick with VB.NET...or more commonly are unwilling to pay to retrain staff in C#.

• GuillaumeGirardGuillaumeGirard CAMember ✭✭
    edited May 2016

There is still one case where VB.Net support make sense: if you have a legacy code base you don't want to entirely rewrite in C#.
    In that case the PCL in VB.Net helped us a lot... but it is still not supported by Xamarin Studio, so no way to use this solution on the OSX box.

I hope things will change in the near futur as Xamarin Studio is now based on Roselyn... which has built-in support for Visual Basic ;)

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@GuillaumeGirard
    ... and the hope dies last... :wink:
    I also would hope for vb-support, but don't think, that this theme has any priority by MS (as e.g. also the new asp.net (core) only ist available with c# and vb support will be added "later"... and asp.net had full support).
    So... let's hope together :sunglasses:

• rob8861rob8861 USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2016

I am not a VB developer (personally I find it archaic and ugly, but that's my opinion) , but can't you simply call VB functions from c#?
    Similar to Swift and Obj-C with the bridging headers. If that's possible, than no need to spend time and resources adding support for VB. If you have legacy VB code, use a bridging header :wink:

LOL. I was just hoping because Microsoft bought it that VB might get in there, which I know would take a lot of work. VB has been my language for many years, but at least on the .NET side of VB, it is very uncommon. Hardly anyone uses VB.NET apparently, so Microsoft might as well kill it. I'm going to learn C# and be happy with it. At least it's not C++, having to manage memory and other BS. Everyone says it's not much different from VB.NET, so I'm sure I'll have no trouble, even at my age. :)

• hayder78hayder78 MYMember

@CrazyDude
    Did you manage to learn C# ?

I have good news for you.

Now in 2017 June, VB.NET is supported by Xamarin and can be compiled to Android and IOS and Windows Universal app.
    See here (I cannot post links since I have just now registered to tell you about it, so please add www before the following):
    blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vbteam/2017/06/13/visual-basic-and-cross-platform-mobile-apps-with-vb-xamarin-and-net-standard/

Hey man, thanks for that good news! I hadn't been following it, but I was happy to hear Microsoft bought Xamarin and included it for free in Studio. That was the best thing that could've happened. I'm still on VB Classic and never got to learn C#. Since the software I'd be developing is a network scanner, I'm not as excited about it because Apple recently started preventing devs to see MAC addresses with iOS 11. Having MAC addresses is indispensable when scanning networks. So I'm sticking to Windows for now until I achieve a lot more success. I assume we'd go C# though, mostly because there are a lot more C# devs than VB.NET last time I checked. I think I'd prefer VB.NET over C#, but everyone tells me C# "it's almost the same as VB.NET". It didn't look like it to me when I studied structures of both, but what do I know?

Here's a "competing" product that talks about this new limitation Apple's put on iOS:
    www.fing.io/support/mac-addresses-ios-11/