Blank screen when navigating

We ran into strange bug on IOS. When using a master navigation page when we 'pop to root' we get stuck at a blank page. By blank page I mean there is no content (just white).

The page that causes this includes a customer full screen video render.
Could that be the cause ? If not, what could be the cause.

Our current work around is to replace the master navigation page completely. (App.MainPage = new...). This works, but causes a noticeable reload of our content which is less than satisfactory.

Answers

• AlmaJensen.9398AlmaJensen.9398 USMember ✭✭✭

@CaseyNiemann
    Does your master detail page still work if you swipe from the left?

I do most of my debugging on Android and have seen a similar issue there. The work around for me is to call PopToRoot on the actual named instance of your navigation page. and then push a new page using the named instance. Depending on your architechture you may need to use something like Xamarin Messaging to pull this off, buy triggering a message that your master detail page is subscribed to.

There are other ways of doing this as well.

Contact me later if you need some help still.

• Hi, I work with Casey.

This is actually an IOS only issue. The page in question has a custom renderer and we feel this might be related.

The work around for me is to call PopToRoot on the actual named instance of your navigation page

We are. We have a static reference of the master navigation page that we call pop on. We have also tried single pops.

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@NicholasVentimiglia @CaseyNiemann - any chance we could see what is happening in that custom renderer, since I am assuming if you call PopToRoot on another page it works as expected? I know that if you jump out of a Xamarin Forms page, to a native one, then try to jump back in the Xamarin Forms page it will result in a blank screen, I had that issue with Windows Phone.

• The Native Renderer is a child control within the Xamarin Forms page. It implements the OpenTok service client, a video webRTC api. So technically, we never leave the xamarin forms page. In fact, when we are leaving the page we are doing so by pressing a Xamarin Forms button that is ontop of a xamarin forms 'splash screen' which is ontop of the OpenTok custom control.

https://gist.github.com/NVentimiglia/6a7fa8597f61b6b142fe53b78b665906#file-view-renderer-ios

• JimTyminskiJimTyminski USUniversity ✭✭

@NicholasVentimiglia did you ever resolve this? I am having similar problems with PopToRootAsync

• I had the same problem, just with android test. In the lasted release of Xamarin.Form the problem is solve.
    But the work around I found, is when it was called in a android device, to set again the main page of the application and start a new navigation.

• CarLoOSXCarLoOSX USMember ✭✭

@lorenzoantoniobritomorales said:
    I had the same problem, just with android test. In the lasted release of Xamarin.Form the problem is solve.
    But the work around I found, is when it was called in a android device, to set again the main page of the application and start a new navigation.

In what version of forms you know it was solved? in the last versión the problem seems to persist. Could yout tellme wat was the correct version please ? Thankyou!

• Are you having the issue for ios ? I amusing 2.4 and no problem, well, I back to xamarin .ios and xamarin.android . I am not using xamarin.forms any more, I will give it a try like in 2 years.

https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/xamarin-forms/xamarin-forms-2.4/2.4.0-stable/