Xamarin.Forms 2.2.0

• MommMomm USMember ✭✭✭

@AdamP, iOS Webview seems broken to me too, it's not scaling the content properly, I don't even need to rotate the device.

It was working 100% on 2.0.1.6505 (last version that everything is stable to me).

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@Momm i experience the scaling issue as well. Going away from the page with the webview and back again seems to correct it but obviously thats broken still. The webview is such a mess in 2.2.0 i hope they dont go to release in its current state.

• BryanHunterXamBryanHunterXam USXamarin Team Xamurai

@AdamP said:
    @BryanHunterXam - I mentioned this critical CarouselView bug on WinRT when -pre2 was the latest release.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40502

is there any chance this will be fixed before 2.2.0 hits stable?

Hi Adam. This is being worked on right now.

Thanks @BryanHunterXam

Also any word on the WebView regressions in iOS. I did mention it in this thread but just put it in a bug report so at least its part of the bug tracking system. Its a severe regression in 2.2.0 that causes previously working webview's in iOS to be completely unusable. Others are experiencing the same issue.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40656

@DavidCASBONNE said:
    @BryanHunterXam Just for your informations (and to avoid duplicate bugs for people who are following this thread), I've created 5 new bugs in bugzilla :

40630 CarouselView with ItemsSource null or empty throws Exception (v2.2.0.18-pre3)
    40631 Setting CarouselView.Position throw exception (v2.2.0.18-pre3)
    40632 CarouselView missed a "SelectedItem" property (v2.2.0.18-pre3)
    40634 CarouselView fires (or not) "ItemSelected" or "PositionSelected" in an buggie way (v2.2.0.18-pre3)
    40635 CarouselView needs either a page indicator or show part of the left and right pages (v2.2.0.18-pre3)

CarouselView is an incredible component which really helps us to build great interfaces ! I hope you would consider these bugs and new features requested for the stable version.

Thank you @DavidCASBONNE. Here's how we are progressing:
    40630 - in progress
    40631 - working on an accurate reproduction. If you could add your reproduction that would be helpful.
    40632 - in progress
    40634 - in progress
    40635 - won't ship in 2.2.0, but we've added this to the feature backlog

@AdamP said:
    Thanks @BryanHunterXam

Also any word on the WebView regressions in iOS. I did mention it in this thread but just put it in a bug report so at least its part of the bug tracking system. Its a severe regression in 2.2.0 that causes previously working webview's in iOS to be completely unusable. Others are experiencing the same issue.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40656

I just spotted your bug report (thanks for filing it!). I have marked it as a regression. As we look into it tomorrow, I'll let you know where we are.

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart DEMember ✭✭✭✭

@BryanHunterXam Regarding 40635 please make this only optional. Also I read that the new CarouselView has a position indicator. Please make this optional. Otherwise it cannot replace the CarouselView completely. In my App I use a full screen CarouselPage so any indicator will damage the look of my App.

Hi @AdamP. The fix, PR, and merge for 40656 is ready for pre5. We re working on a set of related CarouselVIew issues that @DavidCASBONNE mentioned above. Once those are in we will push pre5.

• DavidCASBONNEDavidCASBONNE USMember ✭✭

@BryanHunterXam said:
    Thank you @DavidCASBONNE. Here's how we are progressing:
    40630 - in progress
    40631 - working on an accurate reproduction. If you could add your reproduction that would be helpful.
    40632 - in progress
    40634 - in progress
    40635 - won't ship in 2.2.0, but we've added this to the feature backlog

Thanks @BryanHunterXam . Concerning 40631 I will send you a repro project as soon as possible.

@BryanHunterXam said:
    Hi @AdamP. The fix, PR, and merge for 40656 is ready for pre5. We re working on a set of related CarouselVIew issues that @DavidCASBONNE mentioned above. Once those are in we will push pre5.

Oh thanks for doing that for the pre5 !

@ThomasBurkhart said:
    @BryanHunterXam Regarding 40635 please make this only optional. Also I read that the new CarouselView has a position indicator. Please make this optional. Otherwise it cannot replace the CarouselView completely. In my App I use a full screen CarouselPage so any indicator will damage the look of my App.

Don't worry @ThomasBurkhart, on the feature request I have asked for 3 options including "None". You can go to the bug page and comment if you want !

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

i noticed several problems in my UWP app after ugdating from 2.1.0.6526 to 2.2.0.23-pre4.

[XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)] seems to be broken.

The page rendering is different between the old and new verison, see the attached screenshots.

For example i have a login screen. In the screenshots you will see that the entry fields are aligned differently and that the the two buttons below the entry fiedls are now white instead of grey.

For the entry fields i use a custom viewcell with a grid inside:

<ViewCell>
      <Grid Padding="15,0,15,0">
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
          <RowDefinition Height="*"/>
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
          <ColumnDefinition Width="150"/>
          <ColumnDefinition Width="*"/>
        </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<Label x:Name="NutzernameLabel" Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" Text="{i18n:TranslateExtension Nutzername}" VerticalOptions="Center" HorizontalOptions="FillAndExpand"/>
        <local:EntryNoBorder Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="1" x:Name="Nutzername" Keyboard="Email" Text="" Placeholder="{i18n:TranslateExtension Nutzername}" HorizontalOptions="FillAndExpand" VerticalOptions="Center"/>
      </Grid>
    </ViewCell>

Next sreen contains a list and has several changes:

The alignment of the labels in the list changed.
    The text color changed from white to black.
    The padding between the cells disappeared.
    The icon in the toolbar disappeared.

This is the code for my cell:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <ContentView xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms"
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml" 
        x:Class="ClickLearn.Mobile.Forms.ContentViews.ThemaCellView" 
        Padding="4,1,4,1" BackgroundColor="#FFFFFF">

<Grid BackgroundColor="{Binding UIFarbe}" Padding="5">
          <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition Height="*"/>
          </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="30"/>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="Auto"/>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="*"/>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="40"/>
          </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<Label Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" Text="{Binding Sortierung, StringFormat='{0}.'}" TextColor="#FFFFFF" XAlign="End" YAlign="Center"/>
          <Label Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="1" Text="{Binding Bezeichnung}" TextColor="#FFFFFF" YAlign="Center" LineBreakMode="WordWrap"/>
          <Label Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="3" Text="{Binding DispAnzFragen}" TextColor="#FFFFFF" XAlign="End" YAlign="Center"/>
        </Grid>
    </ContentView>

There now is a problem with rendering of frames:

In the old version my big buttons have a blue backgrounnd with an image and a label on it.
    Using the new XF version the background color is white, so the white image is no longer visible

This is my code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <ContentView xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms"
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml"
        xmlns:local="clr-namespace:ClickLearn.Mobile.Forms.Extensions;assembly=ClickLearn.Mobile.Forms"
        xmlns:converters="clr-namespace:ClickLearn.Mobile.Forms.Converters;assembly=ClickLearn.Mobile.Forms"
        x:Class="ClickLearn.Mobile.Forms.ContentViews.ButtonWithImageView">

<ContentView.Resources>
            <ResourceDictionary>
                <converters:ImageSourceConverter x:Key="ImageSourceConverter"/>
            </ResourceDictionary>
        </ContentView.Resources>

<ContentView.GestureRecognizers>
            <TapGestureRecognizer Tapped="OnTapped"/>
        </ContentView.GestureRecognizers>

<Frame x:Name="frame" WidthRequest="150" HeightRequest="150" HorizontalOptions="Center" VerticalOptions="CenterAndExpand" BackgroundColor="#1971AF" HasShadow="false" Padding="5,5,5,5">
        <StackLayout Orientation="Vertical" HorizontalOptions="FillAndExpand" VerticalOptions="FillAndExpand">
          <Image x:Name="image" Source="{Binding Source={x:Reference HiddenImageName}, Path=Text, Converter={StaticResource ImageSourceConverter}}" VerticalOptions="StartAndExpand" HeightRequest="100"/>
          <Label x:Name="textlabel" TextColor="White" HorizontalOptions="CenterAndExpand" VerticalOptions="EndAndExpand" HorizontalTextAlignment="Center" LineBreakMode="WordWrap" FontSize="Small"/>
        </StackLayout>
      </Frame>
    </ContentView>

• JeffDalbyJeffDalby USUniversity ✭✭

Something new I'm seeing on pre-4 with iOS. I've got a custom user control I've created, which is just a grid with an image and some text. On iOS the SizeChanged event isn't firing when the control changes visibility, or when the control is first created.

@AdamP said:
    @DavidCASBONNE @ChaseFlorell - I was impatient so I created my own View Indicators for the CarouselView, while we wait on Xamarin to implement it, if interested. https://xamarinhelp.com/carousel-view-page-indicators/

Thanks @AdamP , it seems to be just what I need :) I will try to implement it this evening.

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart DEMember ✭✭✭✭

@BryanHunterXam Has anything changed concerning the the different behaviour of OnAppearing on Android and iOS?
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/18781/ios-and-android-different-behaviors-for-onappearing

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Adding views to a CarouselView dynamically causes it on Android to lose track of where it is. It causes this bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40513

but also has knock on effects on other things when using it on android. Basically makes it unusable in its current state. Although I must say this control is (will be) great!

• Matthew.4307Matthew.4307 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

@ThomasBurkhart said:
    @BryanHunterXam Has anything changed concerning the the different behaviour of OnAppearing on Android and iOS?
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/18781/ios-and-android-different-behaviors-for-onappearing

I've raised a bug for these not firing correctly on Windows RT for Tabbed and MasterDetail pages

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40408

Possibly a variant of that issue?

I've ended up adding EventHandlers on my NavigationPage subclass for Popped and Pushed as this is the only reliable way to determine when pages have appeared and disappeared.

• MommMomm USMember ✭✭✭

@AdamP said:
    @DavidCASBONNE @ChaseFlorell - I was impatient so I created my own View Indicators for the CarouselView, while we wait on Xamarin to implement it, if interested. https://xamarinhelp.com/carousel-view-page-indicators/

Nice!

As a suggestion, we could add a tapped event on each dot, so if the user taps in the 4th dot, it will move the carousel directly to the 4th item.

This feature could be added to the Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView as well, @BryanHunterXam.

@Momm - I just added the tapped gesture and two-way binding on the Position, so now you can click on the indicators to jump to a page.

@BryanHunterXam - Are we expecting -pre5 sometime this week or after Evolve?

@AdamP said:

Thanks @AdamP , it seems to be just what I need :) I will try to implement it this evening.

I have tried your indicators and the only thing I have to say is great!! It's easy to use, it works as excepted on Android and iOS. Thanks a lot!

Are you planning to make a nuget to make it easier for everyone ?

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryanHunterXam any eta on pre5? Im holding off of a TestFlight build for a fix to 40656.

• TravyDaleTravyDale USMember ✭✭

Possible bug for CarouselView:

I am using version Pre4 and am not having my CarouselView stretch the width of my device. I am resizing it to an aspect ratio and have it centered on the screen. On Android, the Position object is spot on and always correct to the object being shown. On iOS, the Position object is not always the correct index for what is being shown. I suspect this is due to the control not being stretched to the full width of the device.

Has anyone else noticed the Position index being incorrect for iOS?

I lied. It is doing it on Android as well. I will double check my code but I wanted to make this aware just in case it is within the new CarouselView.

@BryanHunterXam i'm kind of eager for -pre5 with those webview fixes if there is any kind of ETA so I know what to plan for. I know its a pre-release but hoping to take 2.2.0 to production next month and hoping to get some UAT started this week.

@AdamP said:
    thanks @DavidCASBONNE - because Xamarin have mentioned they will look at adding it into the core framework as per your Bugzilla Feature Request, I would rather leave it to them to do the final implementation, rather than creating a Nuget package that will be obsoleted in the future.

However if they announce we can finally make Pull Requests to Xamarin Forms at the Evolve Keynote, I will package this up, try to make it a little more customizable and submit a pull request. They have to be announcing how we can submit a PR soon after their Build announcement of Open Source, just not sure when its coming, or if my implementation would be sufficient as I don't have any solid defaults for view indicators, which would be needed otherwise I could just see the huge amount of questions of view indicators aren't working just because they didn't specify an image :)

You're right, I will follow Evolve tomorrow and if you could make a PR it would be great !
    Without build-in indicators it's sure that you would have a lot of questions ^^ Yesterday I was on the way to ask you that until I realized that gray indicators would not be really visible on gray background !

Ok there is definitely a bug with the CarouselView. I am binding to the Position object. Here is what is happening:

I have my own indicator of which index is being shown (Ex -- 1 of 3). If I touch and just slightly move to the next item, the Position Setter gets called. Lets say I dont actually move it to the next item and stay on the original item. In that case, the Position object has the wrong index. That seems to break it from here on out. It never get corrected.

Please fix this before you release!!

@TravyDale said:
    Ok there is definitely a bug with the CarouselView. I am binding to the Position object. Here is what is happening:

I have my own indicator of which index is being shown (Ex -- 1 of 3). If I touch and just slightly move to the next item, the Position Setter gets called. Lets say I dont actually move it to the next item and stay on the original item. In that case, the Position object has the wrong index. That seems to break it from here on out. It never get corrected.

You're right, I have submit a bug concerning this problem 4 days ago and they are working on it. (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40634)
    As far as I know they would correct all bugs I have submit on CarouselView for the pre5 so it would be OK for the release!

@DavidCASBONNE - I was going to see if I could use the ASCII circle's instead of images as the default, alleviates a lot of hassles if I can get it to work and also resolves the color issue: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/25cb/browsertest.htm

@AdamP It seems to be great ! I didn't even know ASCII has a circle character ^^ Hope you could get it to work.
    If I were much experienced in Xamarin development I would proposed to help you but unfortunately it's not the case for the moment...

@DavidCASBONNE said:

@TravyDale said:

You're right, I have submit a bug concerning this problem 4 days ago and they are working on it. (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40634)
    As far as I know they would correct all bugs I have submit on CarouselView for the pre5 so it would be OK for the release!

Oh I didnt catch that. Thanks for the heads up!

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Niiiice. :smile:

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

@JMarcus said:
    Open source Xamarin.Forms

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms

And everything else
    http://open.xamarin.com

• MichielvvMichielvv NLMember
    edited April 2016

Any reason why this would stop working on 2.2.0 on Android? (worked fine up to 2.1.0)

var wrapperLayout = new AbsoluteLayout {
        HeightRequest= EventTab.MainNavigationBarSize,
    WidthRequest = EventTab.MainNavigationBarSize,
    };
    var backImage = new Image
    {
     HeightRequest = EventTab.MainNavigationBarImageSize,
         Source = ImageSource.FromFile ("white_arrow.png")
    };

// This BoxView will make for a bigger touch area, which is necessary for Windows Phone
    var box = new BoxView {
        HeightRequest = EventTab.MainNavigationBarSize,
        WidthRequest = EventTab.MainNavigationBarSize
    };

wrapperLayout.Children.Add (box, new Point(0,0));
    wrapperLayout.Children.Add (backImage,new Point(15,11));
    navigationLayout.Children.Add (wrapperLayout);

var tg = new TapGestureRecognizer {  
          NumberOfTapsRequired = 1 
    };
    tg.Command = new Command(async () =>
    {
        App.Navigation.PopAsync ();    // Navigation is static reference on App to the NavigationPage
     });
     wrapperLayout.GestureRecognizers.Add (tg);

It does not register the tap on Emulator or real device.

(Will create ticket in bugzilla if there is no obvious solution that I overlooked)

• LesterMeeksLesterMeeks USMember ✭✭

"CarouselView, which appeared in Xamarin.Forms 2.2.0-pre1 through pre4, has been been removed from the Xamarin.Forms package and moved into its own Nuget package. (Note: should be published later today)."

Build is broke right now, is CarouselView accessible somewhere yet?

edited April 2016

@LesterMeeks - not that I can see, I am also watching Nuget to wait for its release. Hopefully its soon as its getting late in the US. Though they deployed a Xamarin.Forms.Pages.Azure and -pre2 of XF about an hour ago, so some activity occurring.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

Is anybody else having problems deploying to iOS devices after upgrading XF to 2.2.0.39 ? I updated Xamarin.Insights and Visual Studio around the same time, but I think the issue started after doing the XF upgrade. Visual Studio gets to the Launching bit and changes color to the debugging color, but nothing happens.

• AdrianKnightAdrianKnight USMember ✭✭✭✭

@JohnHardman I was having the same issue. For me, the fix was updating to Mac El Capitan as well as XCode 7.3. I also updated Xamarin Studio on the Mac.

https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_9/xamarin.ios_9.9/

I'm not sure if you're using Cycle 8 Alpha or simply the newest version of XF or both.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@AdrianKnight - I had the problem you hit when my Mac o/s updated. What I am getting now seems to be something different. Powering down and up my iPhone "seems" to have made a difference there, although only time will tell if that is 100% solved. I haven't powered down my iPad yet, to test whether this was the problem. I'll update here when I get a conclusion.