Forum General

The MS-wishes-thread!

FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

I have opened this thread to post wishes to Microsoft regarding Xamarin merger.

I hope this thread will find his way to the MS responsible person(s).
So here are my wishes:

Keep the Xamarin-forum running or take care to overtake all information’s to a (only a better :smirk:) forum software.

Replace Bugzilla with a usable (and user-friendly) bug-tracker and clean-out Bugzilla on-the-way.

Keep the Xamarin-community running:
Take care to the community - MS only can dream of such a good community like Xamarin community
Inform your customers directly via email to the changes, they are worth it.

Overtake .forms, but make it stable!
If necessary, do a complete redesign from scratch, but make it stable - please!

So I’m sure this thread will grow in not time :smirk:

• AxelCharpentierAxelCharpentier FRMember ✭✭

QA and QA and also QA.
    Did I mention QA ?

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@PavlinaPavlova
    MS could easily "stop" the community from running, if they would kill this forum and not overtake the information's to another forum-SW :wink:.

"but we as the community should be engaging, active and stop wishing and start doing"

That's what I have done and also tried to do with the stuff... but without any success (with the staff :smirk:)

• TomGilderTomGilder GB ✭✭
    1. Better and more responsive bug triage and feature requests. I’m increasingly less likely to report bugs on Bugzilla, too often they just seem to be ignored.

2. Reducing the build/test/build cycle. Speeding up builds always helps, but also by further developing the really promising live coding Inspector stuff. Live AXML and XIB updating would be amazing.

3. Better and more helpful error messages. Many errors could have hints as to what might be wrong, rather than cryptic error codes.

4. Integration with Visual Studio’s built-in debugging and performance tools.

5. Using VS’s XAML designer as a base for iOS and Android. It’s a more mature designer, and I love split-screen.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@AdamP

Rewriting Xamarin Forms would most likely not be the best way forward

Yes, I agree, but if I look at the new bug's and "evergreens" by almost every update (you just have to look at the release threads to see "x don't work anymore", "new crash when....") I think there have to be basic-design-bugs in .forms.
    And this for over a year now (it don't get better).
    I also heard a interview with Jason some time ago, where he says, that he would do something other (in the design), if he could restart developing .forms.
    So... I also don't want a redesign (as I have apps to all platforms in the stores and then have to rebuild it), but if it is necessary, it's better do it now (so that we really can count for "stable" updates in the future :smile:).

• ThibaultDThibaultD SEMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    • Continue to allow me to use a simple and free version of Xamarin Insights (crash reporting & aggregation + simple consistent stats).

I say consistent, because Xamarin Insights shows me how many users my app is using regardless of the platform. Something that is not possible with Azure Insights because data is tracked on separate "projects" and you can't consistently compare the stats because the results are wrong: Although 40% of my users are Android (and 60% iOS), Azure Insights metrics are 10 times higher for iOS than for Android (and there's no way to understand what these metics mean).

• AndreasReiffAndreasReiff DEUniversity ✭✭

Xamarin included with VS -> most wishes come true. :)

Wonder what comes out of it now.. huge, widespread adoption of Xamarin?

Anywho, thanks Microsoft for being so awesome!!! (Note: Evolve 2014, making .net core open source, Build 2016, making Xamarin free.)

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart DEMember ✭✭✭✭

@ThibaultD Have a look at the conditions of Hockeyapp two free Apps and very fair conditions if you have more and are a single developer. I guess INsight won't be that different.

edited April 2016

@ThomasBurkhart said:
    @ThibaultD Have a look at the conditions of Hockeyapp two free Apps and very fair conditions if you have more and are a single developer. I guess INsight won't be that different.

Yes thank you.

But although I have only one application yet, I created no less than eight (8) applications in Xamarin Insights.
    The reason is that I want to monitor separately the following builds:

• Dev Debug
    • Dev Release
    • Test Internal Debug
    • Test Internal Release
    • Beta Debug
    • Beta Release
    • Prod Debug
    • Prod Release

There's surely a couple of this configurations that I don't use very often but I don't want the business model to put limits on what I wish to achieve technically as a developer.

Oh, and I completely forgot one important thing!

PLEASE PLEASE make Intelisense for XAML working correctly!

• Maharshi.5212Maharshi.5212 USMember ✭✭

PLEASE PLEASE make Intelisense for XAML working correctly! From my side as well.

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@ThibaultD et al,

Concerning Insights, this is from a blog post by Nat:

Xamarin Insights is joining HockeyApp

Xamarin Insights delivers incredible value to mobile .NET developers by helping find and debug issues in your apps. Now we are ready to bring that experience to an even wider audience.

Over the next few months, Xamarin Insights will merge with HockeyApp bringing experiences that made Xamarin Insights so great into HockeyApp.

During this transition, current Xamarin Insights customers will be supported through existing contracts and Xamarin developers can still freely integrate Xamarin Insights into their apps. For more information, please see the FAQ.

• JensRumstichJensRumstich DEMember ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Most of my wishes come true...

• improving the code analysis: it already gives some hints but resharper is still better
    • after canceling Astoria showing us an easy way to transform a Xamarin.Android (not Forms) app to UWP. Although my hopes are low and I currently think about rewriting my whole app to reactiveUi
    • maybe making the Xamarin.Insights analytics feature free, so I do not have to use Google Analytics
    • improving XamarinForms so it is also usable for larger apps.
    • I am currently use HockeyApp as simple Ticketsystem. This feature should survive the switch to Xamarin.Insights

@JensRumstich said:

• maybe making the Xamarin.Insights analytics feature free, so I do not have to use Google Analytics

I do understand why this feature is not free.

It's a choice of business model: Either pay for a service there your data is safe ; or use a free service that will use your user's data for commercial goals.

• SKallSKall USMember ✭✭✭✭

Make development possible on Linux desktop, including Xamarin and WebApi.

• ColdBlueLavaColdBlueLava USMember
    1. Linux Version of Xamarin Studio.
    2. Windows Phone tools for Linux/Mac.
  • DavidSpeakDavidSpeak GBUniversity ✭✭

@ThomasBurkhart

+1

• RussellCollinghamRussellCollingham GBUniversity ✭✭

Multiple users (PCs / VS) being able to build on a single mac

@ThomasBurkhart said:

I don't always use XAML but when I do I use Resharper. I noticed the intellisense doesn't work for XAML in XS but on VS with Resharper it works great. I don't know if it is VS itself or Resharper that does the trick.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@SKall said:

@ThomasBurkhart said:

I don't always use XAML but when I do I use Resharper. I noticed the intellisense doesn't work for XAML in XS but on VS with Resharper it works great. I don't know if it is VS itself or Resharper that does the trick.

Absolutely! Resharper in Visual Studio is the way to go to get Forms XAML to work properly. Makes Forms much easier to learn too!

@SKall Only partway. The BindingContext is still complained an CustomControls are not detected.

• JWhiteJWhite USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@RussellCollingham said:
    Multiple users (PCs / VS) being able to build on a single mac

Not that I don't agree with this idea, but just want to make sure that it is understood this is more on Apple than Microsoft/Xamarin.

• DavidDancyDavidDancy AUMember ✭✭✭✭

Actually as far as builds go, unless you have internal requirements that prevent using cloud services, the build automation offered by https://www.bitrise.io looks quite hard to beat. Perhaps MS can buy them next?

Oh, and I've been playing with the latest Alpha of Xamarin Studio. There are lots of things that still need to be improved, but the XAML intellisense is very nice.

Big wishlist item: Allow Info.plist / AndroidManifest.xml to be specified per build configuration. I currently have to create a whole new app for each of my Dev / UAT / Production builds, when the only thing that changes in each one is the app's BundleId.

Having full SVG support on Windows platforms would help probably a few people? If not willing to do that then modify the MS XAML editor to support vector graphics creation for XF across all platforms?

• MommMomm USMember ✭✭✭

It seems that now they will focus on StackOverFlow instead of this forum.

Last one to leave, turn out the lights please!

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@Momm - I think its more of enhancing Q&A there, not replacing the forum. MS still have plenty of forums that are very active. MS are focused on being everywhere and SO needs some attention as a lot of c# devs are all coming from there.

Hmmm, I was just about adding my wish that Xamatin Support should be more active at the forum. looks like the contrary.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

@Momm said:
    It seems that now they will focus on StackOverFlow instead of this forum.

Good luck to them. I'll post here or not bother going forwards.

@JamesMontemagno Do you really think this is the right decission to support the comunity?

• HunumanHunuman GBMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

@NMackay @ThomasBurkhart

I totally agree, this place is way better community-wise, as well Xamarin info-wise.
    Maybe its just me, but stack overflow always seemed to overflow with ego's....
    I haven't been there in a while maybe its changed....

I hope this forum stays up and active.

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hunuman is not changed

• HunumanHunuman GBMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

@AlessandroCaliaro

LOL somehow that doesn't surprise me.

There is nothing wrong in not knowing something.
    It is only wrong to pretend to know something, when you know that you don't know.
    There are some SO members who don't seem to realise that....

Luckily the Xamarin forums rock IMHO.