system.runtime.serialization not automatically included while adding web reference

PiyushBhatt.5672PiyushBhatt.5672 USUniversity ✭✭

Just FYI - while adding a web reference to an Android project - the generated Proxy uses the Serialization assembly but its not automatically added in references. So if you get following error, then manually add the reference.

error CS0234: The type or namespace name IExtensibleDataObject' does not exist in the namespaceSystem.Runtime.Serialization'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Fixed, thanks! In future, please file bugs for these sorts of things so we don't lose track of them.

• KumarSaurabh.7799KumarSaurabh.7799 USMember
    edited January 2017

Hi Mikayla , I am also facing the same issue, Can you let me know how the issue can be resolved? I have taken the reference of "System.Runtime.Serialization" in my Project but getting error "The type or namespace name 'IExtensibleDataObject' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Runtime.Serialization' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Please file a bug with a test case and version information.

• JoeBJoeB USMember

It seems to me that the Problem Is still not fixed

• kandibankandibskandibankandibs USMember

Hi everyone,

We also getting same issue.. Don't know what to do. can anyone suggest a solution for this..

waiting for your quick reply...

Thanks..

• SeethaLakshmiSeethaLakshmi INMember

Hi,

I am new user for Xamarin,
    I am also facing same issue... Please explain more details how to fix it...

Thanks
    Seetha

• MadlinkMadlink USUniversity ✭✭
    edited January 2017

2017 and the issue remains.
    Can we have an answer if it's going to be addresses at some point?

The issue was confirmed in 2015 but no fix available yet: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30944

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@Luciano.1844

I just tested and yes, the issue is still present. There is an easy fix though, just add references to the needed assemblies. In my case I had to add references to the System.SeviceModel and System.Runtime.Serializatoin assemblies. Just right click n the References folder and select Edit References. In the window that opens, select the Packages tab and place check marks next to the above assemblies.

It may be worth going over this guide for using WCF with Xamarin: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/application_fundamentals/web_services/#Windows_Communication_Foundation_WCF

In most cases, it is better to use the SLSvcUtil tool form the Silverlight SDK on Windows to generate the service proxy class.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

The need to manually add the references is actually documented in Walkthrough - Working with WCF in the section titled Creating a Xamarin.Android Application.

4. Before this generated proxy class will compile, we need to add to some references(System.Runtime.Serialization, System.ServiceModel, System.ServiceModel.Web) to our Xamarin.Android project, as shown in the follwoing screenshot: