Forum Visual Studio

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

VS2015 Enterprise and Free Xamarin

I can't find Xamarin in my VS2015 Enterprise? Where is it?

Best Answer

Answers

• VictorGarciaAprea.9996VictorGarciaAprea.9996 USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Aaron,

Some background:

In order to use Xamarin for free you need to be on the latest Stable version which is 4.0.3.214.

If you install VS 2015 (RTM, U1 or U2) or "VS 15 Preview" (vNext) on a box with no previous Xamarin installed, you will get this 4.0.3.214 by default.

If you already have Xamarin installed, you may need to run the Xamarin Universal installer, so it updates your current version of Xamarin to the latest Stable one.

We are working to improve this experience in VS Setup, and hopefully very soon, it will be possible to upgrade existing Xamarin from VS Setup.

Now: can you do Help->About and see if there are no entries at all for Xamarin in there? If none is found, then you will need to download the bits from the Xamarin website. That will install the new free version.

HTH!
    -VGA.

• AaronStainbackAaronStainback USMember

Where do I download the bits?

• CecilPhillipCecilPhillip USUniversity

I just installed on a new windows machine. It asked me to sign in with my Xamarin account, and then said I need to renew my subscription or I can use the starter edition? Is the starter the free version ?

edited March 2016

Also I just installed VS2015 U2 enterprise and it's completely missing.

Okay I found the bit, I had to act like I was downloading community but then check "I use Visual Studio today" and it changed the download. It's installing now. Let's see how it goes.

Aaron, when installing VS2015 U2, did you tick the [ ] Xamarin checkbox via Custom install?

@CecilPhillip, can you please let me know which exact version of Xamarin are you running? (Help->About)

edited March 2016

Visual Studio 2015 U2,
    Xamarin 4.0.1.147

I just downloaded it from the website

When installing VS2015 U2 I did not look at every checkbox but I did hit custom and hit the "Select All" checkbox.

@CecilPhillip , you are running an old version of Xamarin. Please install this MSI:
    http://download.xamarin.com/XamarinforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.3.214.msi

edited March 2016

:(:( When I installed the bits for VS2015 it removed Xamarin from VS15 preview. :(:(

Here is my guess of what happened.
    1) Installed VS2015 U2 with "Select All" checkbox. (I bet Xamarin was fine at this point)
    2) Installed VS15 Preview (I bet this removed Xamarin from VS2015)
    3) Installed Xamarin 4.0.3.214 bits (This added Xamarin to VS2015 but removed it from VS15 Preview)

@AaronStainback yes, that's something that we will be looking at changing soon. The reason for that is that Xamarin doesn't support SxS versions, so the Xamarin tooling version is really tied to a given Xamarin runtime version, and mixing different versions is not usually a good idea.

We are looking at ways to be clever enough from VS Setup to detect other installed Xamarin versions in other VSes and at least re-install the latest version (even if it is not the same you previously had) to those VSes too.

For the time being, if you run the MSI I pasted and run with UI, it will allow you to install to multiple VSes versions at once, so you can tick VS 2015 and 15 Preview.

FYI The bits I downloaded was 4.0.3.214, this is what removed Xamarin from VS15 Preview. Will the link you provide fix the VS15 preview?

@AaronStainback Yes. If you run the MSI manually (instead of having it installed by VS Setup) it will show all VSes versions detected and selected to install by default. You can use that to choose to which VSes you want to install to.

The removing of Xamarin from other VSes only happen when the MSI is silently ran by VS Setup.

Yep, it's all working now, thanks so much for your help!

@VictorGarciaAprea.9996 Thanks. I'm all good

Good to know both of you are good now!