A Xamarin Insights + HockeyApp Future

2»

• ThomasVandenBosscheThomasVandenBossche USMember ✭✭

I agree with @ddotmunch, some more details about the timings would be interesting so we know when to move to HockeyApp.

The FAQ still states a timeframe of 3 to 6 months: https://www.xamarin.com/faq#qha5
    Is there a roadmap available for the migration?

• IanJanickiIanJanicki USXamarin Team, University Xamurai

@ddotmunch, @ThomasVandenBossche Thanks for reaching out. Timing remains the same. To list a few details:

• The 'transition' is a manual process. You must integrate the HockeyApp client into your apps. We encourage you to do this soon
    • There is no hard date set for 'sunsetting' Insights, but development work and support is minimal at the moment. We hope that by the end of the year, almost all of our users have switched over to HockeyApp

For those of you using Forms, you'll be glad to know HockeyApp has released a new client supporting PCL projects. Check it out here!

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

@IanJanicki any documentation about how to transition from Xamarin.Insights to HockeyApp for Xamarin.Forms users?

@JKay There's a setup section in the ReadMe on this repo you can find here

• ThibaultDThibaultD SEMember ✭✭✭

In reply to: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/188490/#Comment_188490

@IanJanicki said:
    @ThibaultD, I figured this was the issue. I definitely agree with you this is limiting. While I cannot offer you a solution right now, both myself and the rest of the team know that the current pricing structure doesn't make sense. This will be one of my priorities as I start to work with the new team, and I will definitely take your feedback to heart. Thanks for expressing your concerns!

Hi @IanJanicki , almost four months later I was wondering how are the pricing discussions going and if you have any clearer idea whether it will soon change or not. As yet, HockeyApp still has the same price model as when I earlier raised my issues.

Regards,

Thibault D.

@ThibaultD We are working on it, but have no update at the moment.

• NikiNiki BGMember ✭✭✭

@IanJanicki how adding support for handled exceptions to HA going? This is the #1 feature of Insights for me, since I am usually defensive and prefer to show an error message rather than crash.

@Niki, great question. To give you some background about what we're attempting to do: the ingestion ratio between handled and unhandled exceptions is about 1:10, respectively. While Insights was built with this reality from day one, HockeyApp had not, but is an important next step for the product. At the same time of big task of scaling up that infrastructure, we also want to provide unhandled errors to the other customers using different platforms (native iOS, Android, etc.). That's another layer of work.

TL;DR: We're busy working on it, and while we hoped it would be out sooner, it should arrive late fall. Until that time, continue to use Insights if that feature is critical to you!

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

@IanJanicki do you have any timescale as to when Hockeyapp.Xamarin will be out of beta and ready to use in production applications?

@JKay, from what I'm hearing from the SDK team, it is on schedule for one of their next sprints. At most, a month out. Hope that helps!

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

Thanks @IanJanicki I'll keep a look out

• alekssmykalekssmyk USMember ✭✭✭

Can I use Xamarin.Insights and HockeyApp simultaneously?

@deandean, I would avoid doing so.

Both HockeyApp and Insights have a exception handler and only one will catch the exception, so it will only be reported on one service. Insights does has the capability to turn off exception reporting, so if you want Insights to just capture events, users, etc., while HockeyApp collects exceptions, that might be possible.

At the end of the day, I would not recommend it. Hope this helps!

• alekssmykalekssmyk USMember ✭✭✭

@IanJanicki thank you. It really helps me.

• GlenPurdy.7915GlenPurdy.7915 USMember
    edited September 2016

Will the new Hockeyapp event feature eventually have the same features on the HockeyApp website? Specifically will it show events in the order they occurred and provide delta timing between them? Will a crash report also include this same information to help in determining what events might have caused the crash?

If this isn't going to happen before the Insights sunset, would it be possible to add support for adding additional data to a crash report?

Also, is there any status update as to when Insights will disappear?

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@GlenPurdy.7915

Yeah, I'm asking the very same questions.

The events features they announced recently seems to fall well short of what currently available in Insights, we need at least the same ability as insights already has, we add parameters to out events and use it with unique user tracking.

https://hockeyapp.net/blog/2016/08/30/custom-events-public-preview.html

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

@IanJanicki I notice that the HockeyApp.Xamarin nuget is now out of Beta.

Is there any documentation to go with this on how to transfer our Xamarin.Forms applications from Insights to HockeyApp?

@GlenPurdy.7915, @NMackay
    Thanks for your questions! As we expressed earlier this year, Insights will not go away until we feel HockeyApp has met and surpassed feature-parity. While this has taken longer than expected, we are busy working on all those crucial features that you mentioned above. We'll have news on this progress at Connect this November, so stay tuned!

@JKay
    If you asking how you transfer the data Insights has on your application to HockeyApp, there is currently no way to do that. The easiest way is to launch your next version of your app with the HockeyApp SDK and start transitioning to HockeyApp as your error-monitoring service. As mentioned in the comment above. If you feel more comfortable with Insights until HockeyApp reaches feature-parity, you are welcome to do that.

• JimBennettJimBennett GBInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

@IanJanicki - whilst I am very excited for the future HockeyApp, we are stuck in the middle of the migration and suffering a bit. We are currently on the free tier of Insights with just crash reporting, but we want more user event data. Insights offers this, but we are told we can't upgrade to the relevant paid version due to HockeyApp coming soon.

If Insights can give us what we want right now, why can't we give you some money and get the features, and migrate as soon as HockeyApp is ready? Problem we have is we don't want to wait so we may move onto other platforms which is a shame as I like the Xamarin offering.

• vinguanvinguan USMember ✭✭

@IanJanicki Does HockeyApp already have Exception reporting that insights had? I am trying to find we did not have any success...

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@Vinguan, HockeyApp will automatically handle crash and exception handling for you extremely similar to Insights.

Also, 4.1.0 just came out with some nice new features for custom events to pass in dictionaries: https://www.hockeyapp.net/blog/2016/09/26/hockeysdk-xamarin-4-1-0.html

Also it is really cool that you can stream the events into App Insights: https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Cloud+Cover/Episode-214-Hockey-App-and-Azure-App-Insights-with-Evgeny-Ternovsky-and-Josh-Weber

@JamesMontemagno - just trying this out and I'm getting a Missing Method exception when I track events :(

• ashtomashtom USMember

@JimBennett Which method is missing or what's the full exception? Can you please post your trackEvent call?

@ashtom - I was calling MetricsManager.TrackEvent("MyEvent") with no issues before, but after reading the post about 4.1.0 I upgraded my NuGet to the latest stable and tried the call that takes properties and measurements - MetricsManager.TrackEvent("MyEvent", myProps, myMeasurements) and this was giving a missing method exception. If I use the overload that just takes a string for the event name it works.

I'll grab more details and the full exception when I'm back in the office tomorrow.

edited October 2016

@ashtom -

MetricsManager.TrackEvent(eventName, new Dictionary<string, string>(), new Dictionary<string, double>());

• ashtomashtom USMember

@JimBennett I can't reproduce this. Here's a quick sample project that I just set up:
    https://github.com/ashtom/XamarinMetricsTest
    The custom event in the button.Click method shows up on HockeyApp & AI as expected.

My best guess would be that the NuGet update didn't work in your solution, so you are still on the previous version that doesn't have the overloaded method with 3 params.

@ashtom _ I tried both an update and a remove and re-add. I didn't clear down my packages folder so let me have a bash at that and see how it goes.

• Hi,
    I don't understand if the transition from Xamarin Insights to HockeyApp is mandatory and if there is a deadline for do that.

• PayalPayal USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2016

@IanJanicki
    Will Insights available after releasing the HockeyApp.? I mean once the HockeyApp meets your surpassed features, will Insights available in the market or will it just vanish or HockeyApp will replace Insights?
    And I'm not able to see Users, Events, and Audience sections in Insights dashboard. I can see only Issues and Settings section. Why so?. Am I missing something.?!

Hi Payal,

Thanks for your question. Earlier in 2016, we were going to move all the functionality of Insights into HockeyApp. After realizing we needed a larger, more integrated vision, we embarked on the Visual Studio Mobile Center, which is currently in Preview.

Mobile Center is the next evolutionary step for both Insights and HockeyApp. We encourage you to try it out, but please realize it is not ready for production apps.

Re: your question about not being able to see Users, Events, and Audience sections: If you are on our Basic Plan, "Issues" is the only feature available. If you are a Business or Enterprise user, and you don't see those pages, let me know! I will get that resolved for you.

Hope this answers your questions.

• PayalPayal USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2016

@IanJanicki
    Thanks for your quick response.
    The link you shared for "try it out" says post not found.
    And yes I'm clear now. But still I have some questions for you.

Ok, let me first explain my current situation.
    I have a project on Xamarin Forms working with XamarinStudio on Mac os 10.11 not on visual studio and I'm using Xcode 7. Insights supports my current version but unfortunately, HockeyApp is not Please refer this.
    In the above discussion they mentioned that HockeyApp wont support downward compatibility for Xamarin toolchain.
    HockeyApp requires so many things including Xcode 8, and Xcode 8 requires Mac os 10.11.5 or later.
    I cant afford to update all these things for now ( but in future I'll ).
    So, I'm struggling to integrate crash reporting tool right now. I need your suggestions/help/idea to solve my current problem.
    My personal opinion : I wish Insights should remain or HockeyApp should support downward compatibility or I'll be forced to choose a third-party tool.

Thanks in advance.

@Payal

Because our resources are constrained in keeping HockeyApp SDKs up to date, we only have the capacity to keep up with the current toolset and not be backwards compatible too far. I hope you get a chance to update your stack!

Sorry for the dead link before, here you go: mobile.azure.com

• PayalPayal USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2016

@IanJanicki

I have gone through Visual Studio Mobile Center and I have created apps for iOS and Android. But, how to create an app for WindowsPhone.??

And one more question:
    Does HockeyApp supports WindowsPhone.?
    Because, so far I dint see any components or any guidelines/instructions to integrate HockeyApp to WindowsPhone.

Mobile Center is starting with support for the following platforms:

• Native iOS
    • Native Android
    • React Native
    • Xamarin (non-UWP)

In the future, we'll support:

• Cordova
    • UWP

HockeyApp does support Windows Phone. See the docs here.

• PayalPayal USMember ✭✭

@IanJanicki

Thanks for the link...
    Those articles were awesome...

Thanks once again

2»