Xamarin for All! Stable Release: Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 – Service Release 3

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited April 2016 in General

Blog post: https://blog.xamarin.com/xamarin-for-all/
Xamarin FAQ: https://www.xamarin.com/faq

This is a feature release. It changes the licensing model for Xamarin as announced during the Build 2016 keynote to enable Xamarin features for all Visual Studio users (including Visual Studio Community Edition users) at no extra cost! See the blog post (https://blog.xamarin.com/xamarin-for-all/) and the FAQ (https://www.xamarin.com/faq) for additional details.

For Visual Studio, the new Xamarin licensing model is compatible with any non-Express version of Visual Studio 2013 or 2015. For Xamarin Studio, it requires the latest version of Xamarin Studio as listed under "Release Info" below.

Commonly reported issues for this release

• "System.FormatException: One of the identified items was in an invalid format. at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.GetErrorWorkflow". This problem happens when attempting to use the new licensing model with old incompatible versions of Xamarin. Solution: Ensure that you have updated all of your installed Xamarin packages on both Windows and Mac to match the versions listed under "Release Info" below.

• "Requires a Business (or higher) license". (One common scenario where this happens is if you already have Xamarin installed and then update to Visual Studio 2015 Update 2. In that case the Visual Studio update process will not automatically update the Xamarin extensions. This behavior will be adjusted in the future.) Solution: Ensure that you have updated all of your installed Xamarin packages on both Windows and Mac to match the versions listed under "Release Info" below.

• "bash: ... Broker/4.0.3.214/Broker.exe: Permission denied" or "bash: Broker/4.0.3.214/Broker.exe: cannot execute binary file" when attempting to connect to the Mac build host from Visual Studio. Solution: Make sure you have installed all of the required Xcode and Xamarin packages on the Mac build host: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/installation/mac/.

• "System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path1 ... at Xamarin.Messaging.Activation.ActivationAgent.InitializeMonotouchActivation ()" Solution: Make sure you have installed all of the required Xcode and Xamarin packages on the Mac build host: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/installation/mac/.

• "The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden" or "Access Denied" when installing Xamarin. Status: FIXED. The Xamarin team has updated the stale server-side information that was causing this problem. The changes should now be fully propagated to all the CDN servers. If anyone is still seeing this error, please add a comment below to let us know!

Fixed bugs

N/A

Remaining known issues

The remaining known issues are the same as for "Cycle 6 – Service Release 2". Please see that thread for details.

Bug filing

If you find any new issues in this release compared to the previous Stable versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate, please do file a quick bug report, and then feel free to add a note on this thread with the bug number. Thanks!

Previous versions, downgrading

As usual, existing Xamarin Business, Xamarin Indie, or Xamarin Enterprise users can downgrade back to the previous Stable versions if needed by manually reinstalling each old package. See the KB article on downgrading.

New users will all want to stay on Cycle 6 – Service Release 3 or later to continue using the new licensing model.

Release info

Windows

Mac

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-6-service-release-3

See the first entry in the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

• [XamarinVS] The new licensing model requires Visual Studio 2013 or higher. (Existing Xamarin license holders can continue to use the old licensing model in Visual Studio 2012.)

(The reamining compatibility notes are the same as for the "iOS 9.3 and Xcode 9.3 SDK Bindings" release.)

• [iOS] Xcode 7.3 requires OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

• [XamarinVS] The Cycle 6 builds of XamarinVS now require Visual Studio 2012 or higher. Following along with the end of Mainstream Support for Visual Studio 2010 by Microsoft, Cycle 6 is not compatible with VS 2010.

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [Xamarin Studio] [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] [Xamarin.Mac] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

EDIT Mar 31: Add information about "The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden" and "Access Denied".
EDIT Mar 31: Update status of "The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden" as FIXED.
EDIT Apr 01: Update compatibility notes and common issues.

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG. This is awesome news guys!!

• when it will became free? just tried to build my solution on VS professional and still ask to upgrade subscription

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭✭

It is a great opportunity for new and old developers, Congrats on this we've been expecting this for so long that now we don't even believe it.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited March 2016

@RobisonKarlsCustdio, as soon as you have updated to these Cycle 6 – Service Release 3 versions the new license model should kick in. See the FAQ for a few additional details about removing expired licenses (if applicable). Existing on-disk licenses will override the new licensing model (existing Xamarin Indie, Xamarin Business, and Xamarin Enterprise licenses will continue to work as normal). So you will need to be sure to clear any existing on-disk licenses to get the new licensing to show up.

If the new licensing still doesn't show up after that, feel free to get in touch via an email to [email protected] for any licensing questions.

• Anil.ApexAnil.Apex USMember ✭✭

OMG...OMG...OMG...OMG....OMG....OMG.....

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski will this also apply to the Alpha Channel for the Cycle 7 builds?

@rmacias, the license changes are in the process of being merged into the Alpha channel Cycle 7 builds. A new Cycle 7 Alpha refresh that includes the changes will be published to the Alpha updater channel early next week, barring any unforeseen complications.

• Awesome!
    Just now upgraded for Visual Studio Community Edition.

• I have an Indie iOS subscription now, what will happen when that expires? Should I just use the community edition?

This is pretty wonderful, BTW

• JOELChinchillaJOELChinchilla CRMember

I just trying to donwload Xamarin Studio but the installation stops with the error: Access Denied. Then I tried to donwload the components separately, but for Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS donwnload urls, I'm getting also Access Denied on the browser. Any idea?

What will happen when that expires? Should I just use the community edition?

Yes, please do use the community edition! You can check the Visual Studio Community Edition license terms to make sure you are eligible.

• JustinAntoszekJustinAntoszek USMember
    edited March 2016

Using VS2015 Update 2 with the latest Xamarin updates but I am unable to build the basic 'Blank App (Xamarin.Forms Shared)' project. When I try to build the UWP app I get:

Your project.json doesn't list 'win10-x86' as a targeted runtime. You should add '"win10-x86": { }' inside your "runtimes" section in your project.json, and then re-run NuGet restore. App2.UWP (which is in the file btw)

Unable to resolve Xamarin.Forms (>= 2.0.0.6482) for UAP,Version=v10.0. (which is findable in nuget)

NuGet Package restore failed for project App2.UWP for 'Xamarin.Forms (>= 2.0.0.6482)'.

Completely empty project - all I did was try to deploy.

That said - I am able to build and launch the Windows 8.1 build from the same solution

@JOELChinchilla, I know the Xamarin web team is working on addressing some load-balancing issues on store.xamarin.com. There's a chance a similar issue with traffic volume might be affecting the download CDN servers.

I checked quickly locally to make sure the individual downloads are working OK for me, and they do seem to be OK here, but it's possible you're pulling from a different server on the CDN.

I will notify the team here to see if there are any tests they'd like to have you try. (There's also a chance the problem might resolve itself after some of the traffic quiets down later today.)

edited March 2016

@JOELChinchilla

Update: The team is aware of the issue and is updating some server-side information that should correct that "Access Denied" error. The issue should be resolved once the new information propagates through all of the CDN servers.

EDIT: Correction about the cause of the problem.

@JustinAntoszek, thanks for the report. I suspect that might be an new compatibility bug with the preview support for UWP in Xamarin.Forms caused by changes in VS 2015 Update 2. If you get a quick moment, please do file a new bug report for that issue against Xamarin.Forms. The initial bug report can be as simple as copying your forum comment word-for-word into the description. Thanks!

• @BrendanZagaeski said:

What will happen when that expires? Should I just use the community edition?

Yes, please do use the community edition! You can check the Visual Studio Community Edition license terms to make sure you are eligible.

So far so good, I noticed my subscription already changed in the Xamarin Studio IDE from Indie to Community, though I have until September before it expires.

Is there really any difference, though? Other than the fact that I seem to have Android and Mac targets available now?

• bobby.3978bobby.3978 USMember
    edited March 2016

Aargh. Timeouts on the bootstrapping installers on the download page!

Please point us towards the links for the offline installers? In other words links to the complete "msi" and "dmg" files?

edited March 2016

bobby.3978, in theory the combined installer should show you a page with the individual download links if it encounters any errors. If that page is not appearing in your case, please contact [email protected] to get a list of the current links.

edited April 2016

I noticed my subscription already changed in the Xamarin Studio IDE from Indie to Community
    Is there really any difference, though?

There are no differences in software features between using a Xamarin Indie license or a Visual Studio Community license. The only differences are in the licensing terms.

EDIT Apr 01: Correct my earlier edit. If you are logged in with an Indie license, Xamarin Studio should show "Xamarin Indie" under Xamarin Studio > Account.

• DaveJacobDaveJacob USMember

This is great news! I think Xamarin's user base will greatly expand.

• JustinAntoszekJustinAntoszek USMember

@BrendanZagaeski said:
    @JustinAntoszek, thanks for the report. I suspect that might be an new compatibility bug with the preview support for UWP in Xamarin.Forms caused by changes in VS 2015 Update 2. If you get a quick moment, please do file a new bug report for that issue against Xamarin.Forms. The initial bug report can be as simple as copying your forum comment word-for-word into the description. Thanks!

Done. Listed as Bug 40028 - Using VS2015 Enterprise Update 2 with the latest Xamarin updates but I am unable to build the basic 'Blank App (Xamarin.Forms Shared)' project.

• SimonWadsSimonWads GBMember ✭✭

What is the situation for organisations like mine that put a large renewal order in for Xamarin Enterprise TODAY, as our current subscription was expiring yesterday.

• JessMicheleJessMichele USXamarin Team Xamurai

@SimonWads said:
    What is the situation for organisations like mine that put a large renewal order in for Xamarin Enterprise TODAY, as our current subscription was expiring yesterday.

Please email [email protected] and we'd be happy to help you!

edited March 2016

@SimonWads, not to worry. Your Xamarin account manager should be able to get things sorted out for you. Please contact your account manager or get in touch via an email to [email protected].

• JOELChinchillaJOELChinchilla CRMember

Still can't donwload on Mac. Any update?

• SKuklauSKuklau DEMember

"Mac users with Visual Studio Professional or Visual Studio Enterprise linked to their Xamarin account"

Where do I perform this 'link'?

• SimonWadsSimonWads GBMember ✭✭

@JessMichele said:

@SimonWads said:

Please email [email protected] and we'd be happy to help you!

Thanks Jess; I've passed the info on to our procurement team.

@JOELChinchilla, the initial issue that affected installation when using the "XamarinInstaller" apps should now be resolved. But reading back through your comments, I see you might have been updating using the Xamarin Studio > Check for Updates dialog in Xamarin Studio.

In either case, there's a chance Xamarin might have cached an outdated version of the server-side information on your computer. You can try clearing the caches and re-trying the installation steps:

1. Run the following command in a Terminal.app command prompt:

open "$HOME/Library/Caches"

2. Locate the "XamarinStudio-6.0" folder and move it to the Trash.

3. Locate the "XamarinInstaller" folder and move it to the Trash as well.

4. Retry the installation.

5. If the installation fails again, you can attach back either the "Xamarin "Universal" Installer" logs if you are running the "XamarinInstaller" app:

a. Run the following command in Terminal:

zip -r "$HOME/Desktop/XamarinInstallerLogs.zip" "$HOME/Library/Logs/XamarinInstaller/Universal"

b. Attach back the XamarinInstallerLogs.zip file from your Desktop.

6. Or you can attach back the Xamarin Studio logs if you are updating from within Xamarin Studio:

a. Run the following command in Terminal:

cp -i "$HOME/Library/Logs/XamarinStudio-6.0/Updater.log" "$HOME/Desktop/Updater.log"

b. Attach back the Updater.log file from your Desktop.

(For a broader reference on log file locations see also: https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1675684-where-can-i-find-my-version-information-and-logs-)

Thanks in advance!

@SKuklau, I believe the key step is under the "I have an MSDN subscription. How do I use Xamarin Studio on my Mac?" section of the FAQ:

Once you log in to the Visual Studio Subscriber portal, you should find a "Xamarin Studio (for OS X)" item in the list of Subscription Benefits:

• SKuklauSKuklau DEMember

@BrendanZagaeski said:
    @SKuklau, I believe the key step is under the "I have an MSDN subscription. How do I use Xamarin Studio on my Mac?" section of the FAQ:

Once you log in to the Visual Studio Subscriber portal, you should find a "Xamarin Studio (for OS X)" item in the list of Subscription Benefits:

I do see that, but it redirects me to a page where I can buy VS Enterprise through Xamarin (I already have VS Enterprise through MPN).

I'm guessing some kinks still need to be worked out there. No worries.

• TheJackahTheJackah GBMember

I'm glad it has been made free - very good job Microsoft!

edited March 2016

@SKuklau, in case it's helpful, in theory I believe the "Register and download" link will redirect you to a page on https://store.xamarin.com that will allow you to "purchase" Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.Mac licenses for free. One complication is that you might need to make sure you're logged in on https://store.xamarin.com before clicking the "Register and download link". Once you've "purchased" the licenses, you can then use them on Mac by logging in to your Xamarin account in Xamarin Studio (using the same Xamarin Studio > Account login workflow you might have used in the past for a Xamarin Indie, Xamarin Business, or Xamarin Enterprise license).

If the "Register and download" link doesn't redirect to the expected location that lets you purchase the Xamarin licenses, feel free to get in touch via an email to [email protected].

• DAVIDBUCKLEYDAVIDBUCKLEY GBMember
    edited March 2016

Been a fan since the start this is awsome new for our company. Can i ask I herd miguel say about an ios simlulator for windows will that mean well be able to compile without a mac soon or is that just going be simlualtor alone and does community version include support to sql data ?

• jonojono USMember ✭✭

So if we just bought licences through Xamarin, but already have a MSDN subscription, how do we apply for a refund?

@jono, send an email [email protected], and the team will get you sorted out.

will that mean well be able to compile without a mac soon or is that just going be simlualtor alone

The demonstrated iOS simulator on Windows works by running the app on the Mac and displaying the graphics on Windows. You will indeed still need a Mac to build and run iOS apps.

and does community version include support to sql data

I believe this might correspond to one of the items in the release notes for these new versions of Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android:

All editions may now make use of these features which were previously restricted:
    ... All types and assemblies may now be used, including System.Data.SqlClient

• HunumanHunuman GBMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Hi All,

Just updated VS2015 to update 2 and all installed ok.
    I have followed the instructions to log out of my Xamarin account in both VS and XS.

I have also removed all subscriptions as instructed, including the Android Business subscription.

Still VS insists that I log in, and regardless of whether I log in or not, VS insists my trial license has expired.

Help!

Thanks

Tim

• HunumanHunuman GBMember ✭✭✭✭

Also removed local licenses as per https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1641743-how-do-i-manually-resynchronize-xamarin-licenses-

Still no joy...

sigh...

Ok going to have to restore my subscriptions just to be able to get any work done today....
    Fingers crossed.

Tim

Just updated VS2015 to update 2 and all installed ok.

If you are updating an existing installation, note that you will still need to explicitly update the Xamarin extensions (to make sure you're on version 4.0.3.214) after the Visual Studio update. The Visual Studio update process will integrate Xamarin updates in the future, but at the moment it does not.

See also:

This discussion has been closed.