Stable Release: Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 – Service Release 2

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited March 2016 in General

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-6-service-release-2/

This is a small bugfix release. It addresses several of the known issues from the Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 Feature Release. See the Release Blog post for more details.

Fixed bugs

You can view the list of bugs addressed by this Beta version of the service release using the following Bugzilla query:

Remaining known issues

You can view all of the remaining bugs that have been reported against the Xamarin 4 ("Cycle 6") but that are not yet fixed in "Cycle 6 – Service Release 2" using the following Bugzilla query:

Bug filing

If you find any new issues in this release compared to the previous Stable versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate, please do file a quick bug report, and then feel free to add a note on this thread with the bug number. Thanks!

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the previous Stable version by manually reinstalling each old package. See the KB article on downgrading. If you have a Trial or Starter subscription (or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need), feel free to contact contact@xamarin.com to request the older versions.

Older Mono package versions are not currently listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads. The Mono package for the previous Stable version is available here:

Release info

Windows

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.1.145.msi (f869dba) Release Notes
  • Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.1.147.msi (1cc3a99) Hotfix
  • XamarinStudio-5.10.3.26.msi (ac9b7fc) Release Notes
  • XamarinStudio-5.10.3.27.msi (8dc6bca) Hotfix

Mac

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-6-service-release-2/

See the first entry in the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

(These are the same as for the initial Cycle 6 Feature Release.)

• [XamarinVS] The Cycle 6 builds of XamarinVS now require Visual Studio 2012 or higher. Following along with the end of Mainstream Support for Visual Studio 2010 by Microsoft, Cycle 6 is not compatible with VS 2010.

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [Xamarin Studio] [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] [Xamarin.Mac] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

EDIT Mar 18: Update with hotfix for testing on iOS 6 and iOS 7 devices.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski

I can now see In-House profiles in Visual Studio, thanks for your help on this issue.

• rdiazconchardiazconcha MXUniversity ✭✭
    edited March 2016

Today I installed Xamarin 4.0.1.145. Now, each time I create a new Xamarin Forms project I receive the following error:

Microsoft Visual Studio

Package Installation Error

Could not add all required packages to the project. The following packages failed to install from 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 14.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\XAMARIN\XAMARIN\4.0.1.145\Packages':

Xamarin.Forms.2.0.0.6482 : Failed to initialize the PowerShell host. If your PowerShell execution policy setting is set to AllSigned, open the Package Manager Console to initialize the host first.

OK

In fact, it happens too when I try to update a project from 2.0.0.6482 to 2.1.0.6526:

Executing script file 'C:\Users\Rodrigo.nuget\packages\Xamarin.Forms\2.1.0.6526\tools\init.ps1'...
    Failed to initialize the PowerShell host. If your PowerShell execution policy setting is set to AllSigned, open the Package Manager Console to initialize the host first.

What should I do?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

RodrigoDiaz.2847, that sounds like something specific to your environment. At first guess, I suspect it would affect any NuGet package that uses a PowerShell script.

It looks like the Google results for "Failed to initialize the PowerShell host" have some good ideas for next troubleshooting steps.

(I also tested quickly locally on both VS 2013 and VS 2015, and I was able to create new Forms projects without any trouble, but I'm not too familiar with the applicable Group Policy settings. I might not have any those settings enabled on my Windows test system.)

• rdiazconchardiazconcha MXUniversity ✭✭

Thanks, but that is not very helpful. Problem is, everything was running perfectly before I installed Xamarin 4.0.1.145 today :neutral:

What I've tried:

I Executed Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned using an elevated PowerShell console. Nothing.
    I Executed Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted using an elevated PowerShell console. Nothing.
    Restarted Windows. Nothing.
    devenv.exe /ResetSettings and now Visual Studio is crashing when creating a new Xamarin Forms portable app, specifically in the the "Creating App.Droid project... " part of the project creation.

Is there any way to rollback this entire Xamarin version installation? I've been wasting so much in time in this issue.

Or is there anything I could send you so you can verify the issue?

Is there any way to rollback this entire Xamarin version installation?

See the "Previous versions, downgrading" section in the first post in the thread.

Or is there anything I could send you so you can verify the issue?

I'd recommend sending in an email via "Business & Enterprise Support" for more in-depth one-on-one troubleshooting.

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

@Brendan Zagaeski,
    After updating I cannot connect VS to my Mac. I get what appears to be a security error (see attached). I can ping the internal ip from my Windows 10 VM in Parallels no problem.

Luckily I didn't upgrade last week when I got the notification during VS Live or all my presentations would have gone ... poorly. However, one of the audience members had encountered the same error. Also the VS version and Mac version for iOS seem to have slightly different versions (94.42.24 in VS vs. 9.4.2.27 when I look in XS on the Mac), is this normal? Both sides are on the stable channel.

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

Turns out this was some sort of cached ip issue. I had to find the IP and enter it by hand into the connection Window. The IP it is associating with my Mac was (and continues to be) one it won't connect over. Interestingly enough the IP it thinks it is pings just fine.

• CullenCullen USMember

I had upgraded and it crashed. So downgraded to the previous version and worked just fine.
    Then updated Android SDK to the latest version, upgraded again crashed again. Attached is the crash dump report.

@Cullen, thanks for the report. If you get a quick moment to copy that comment over into a new bug report for Xamarin Studio (and attach the stack trace), that would be perfect. I'd also recommend zipping up and attaching the log folder from "Help -> Open Log Directory". Having you as the original reporter on the bug will be helpful in case the engineers have any follow-up questions or tests for you to try. Thanks again!

• KenPespisaKenPespisa USBeta, University ✭✭
    edited March 2016

Upgraded to XS 5.10.3.27 and got an error starting up:

The following add-ins could not be started: MonoDevelop.MonoGame.3.5.0

When I ignored the warning and started up XS, I saw two Apple logos in the menu bar (see attached)

I rolled back to 5.10.2.56 to fix both issues.

The following add-ins could not be started: MonoDevelop.MonoGame.3.5.0

When I ignored the warning and started up XS, I saw two Apple logos in the menu bar (see attached)

Thanks for the report. Based on another report of this issue, the loading failure seems to be an issue with the MonoGame add-in itself. Uninstalling the add-in and then reinstalling the latest version from http://www.monogame.net/downloads/ has been reported to solve the issue. (I also double-checked that workaround quickly myself, and it stopped the problem successfully for me.)

(It turns out the issue with the duplicated Apple menu icon its own secondary problem. A candidate fix for that second issue is included in the current Cycle 7 Preview builds.)

This discussion has been closed.