Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

How do I show security image overlay when app is running in background?

vinodkumarvinodkumar INMember ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Xamarin.Forms

Hi,

What I want to do is

1. Open app
  2. Do some actions
  3. Click on Home button
  4. App will be running in background
  5. User clicked the recent apps button in android (in iOS, click home button twice )
  6. Display list of apps running in background

in 6th point I need to show an image overlay for my app instead of showing a view which user was working before app being sent to background.
Please see the attachment for more understanding.

Thanks
Vinod

Best Answer

Answers

• ChristianFalchChristianFalch NODeveloper Group Leader ✭✭✭

It's a little bit hard to understand what you are trying to do - running an app in the background does exactly what you describe - it continues to execute your app in the background and the user interface (where you are changing your background image) will not be visible to the user.

Running an app in the background is not something that is supported out of the box on iOS (it's possible on Android) - sending the app to the background will stop it from executing. You should read up on how backgrounding works on both iOS and Android:

iOS: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/application_fundamentals/backgrounding/
    Android: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/application_fundamentals/backgrounding/

That said, changing the home screen on a user's mobile device is definitely not supported on iOS, so you need to find another way to inform your users that your app is running in the background. You will most definitely also run into issues when trying to get your app approved in the AppStore if you get to creative with the way you are using the options available.

Remember that the reasons for putting apps to sleep when they are sent to the background is an explicit design choice made on mobile platforms to avoid apps draining the battery or other shared resources.