Binding .JAR / using JNI

I'm trying to create a binding for Aspose.Words for Android. I'm following the guide at:

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/advanced_topics/binding-a-java-library/

Unfortunately I'm getting all kinds of errors related to obfuscation.

e.g.

1>JARTOXML : warning J2XA006: missing class error was raised while reflecting com.aspose.words.zzDZ : asposewobfuscated/zzW8

I've got over 1,000 of these, so it's not just a matter of a few tweaks to the XML.

I'm thinking then that I need to consider this:

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/advanced_topics/java_integration_overview/working_with_jni/

But I can't for the life of me find anything that tells me how to get the .JAR into my project, then invoke a method. All the examples seem to talk about the native methods that are already built-in.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here?

Best Answer

• PeterMillsPeterMills GB ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

In the end I had to write a Java assembly that wrapped up each of the method calls - this meant the obfuscation wasn't a problem anymore.

Answers

• PeterMillsPeterMills GBMember ✭✭

I forgot to add, after all the warnings. I get this:

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Bindings.targets(380,5): error MSB6006: "generator.exe" exited with code -1073741819.

Having turned MSBUILD verbosity up, I get:

1>BINDINGSGENERATOR : warning BG8103: Class Com.Aspose.Words.HeaderFooterCollection has invalid base type com.aspose.words.NodeCollection.
    1> (TaskId:38)
    1> Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (TaskId:38)
    1> at MonoDroid.Generation.ReturnValue.get_JavaName() (TaskId:38)
    1> at MonoDroid.Generation.Method.get_IsVoid() (TaskId:38)
    1> at MonoDroid.Generation.Method.get_CanGet() (TaskId:38)
    1> at MonoDroid.Generation.Method.get_IsPropertyAccessor() (TaskId:38)
    1> at MonoDroid.Generation.GenBase.AddPropertyAccessors() (TaskId:38)
    1> at MonoDroid.Generation.GenBase.FillProperties() (TaskId:38)
    1> at MonoDroid.Generation.GenBase.FillProperties() (TaskId:38)
    1> at Xamarin.Android.Binder.CodeGenerator.Run(CodeGeneratorOptions options) (TaskId:38)
    1> at Xamarin.Android.Binder.CodeGenerator.Main(String[] args) (TaskId:38)
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Bindings.targets(380,5): error MSB6006: "generator.exe" exited with code -1073741819.
    1>Done executing task "BindingsGenerator" -- FAILED. (TaskId:38)

It would appear something in the code generator is upset with Aspose. Can I get this raised?

• trinnguyentrinnguyen VNMember ✭✭

Have you added permission Camera to AndroidManifest.xml?

• trinnguyentrinnguyen VNMember ✭✭

My mistake on typing. Should be Internet permission.
    Xamarin.Android app can access internet in the Debug mode, but will need this permission in Release (also the real world).

Accepted Answer

In the end I had to write a Java assembly that wrapped up each of the method calls - this meant the obfuscation wasn't a problem anymore.