Puzzled by basic version control operation - how do you commit a change?

bansheebanshee USMember

I'm a bit puzzled by the source control system. How do I commit a change? I see how to get a list of all the changes in a file, but how do I commit one of them? There's a "remove" command, and a "revert" command, but there's no "commit" command that I can find. (Other than the commit button in the upper left, but that commits every change in the file.)

• LluisSanchezLluisSanchez ESXamarin Team Xamurai

Committing individual changes in a file is not supported. You have to commit whole files.

• NoGlassHouseNoGlassHouse USMember

while in "review changes" view, use the "Commit..." Button to commit (select the files you want to check in before hitting the button).
    In the project browser, right click your project or file item and choose "version control -> commit" in the upcoming contextmenu.

• bansheebanshee USMember

lluis, I'm sorry to hear that.

NoGlassHouse - no, that's a different operation. Commit every change in a file is a special case of a commit. Normally, a git tool for committing lets you choose which changes you want, and perhaps has a "commit everything in this file" as a convenience operation. Basically, files aren't the atomic unit for changes.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

@banshee

I think there may be a feature request that I or @mhutch filed the other day asking for "git gui"-like functionality in Xamarin Studio. For sure it would be a nice feature to have. I know he and I were talking about it if we didn't file it (I can't remember). If you don't see it on https://bugzilla.xamarin.com, go ahead and file it (don't stress about filing a duplicate request, it's not that big a deal).

In the meantime, if you are on MacOS, you can use git gui if you install git via homebrew (which is what I use).

I'm actually using GitX on mac, when I'm not using the command line. I think it's better than git gui, but has a vaguely similar interface. There are a few other git apps available, but most of them seem to try to do too much. (Also, GitX fonts looks fine on a retina display; git gui looks awful).

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

I'll have to check out GitX, I have to agree that git gui looks awful (even on my not retina display)

FYI, I've switched to using http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ instead of GitX. I use the mac version, there's a Windows one as well.