Forum General

Alpha Release: Cycle 7 Feature Release Preview

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited April 2016 in General

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/64574/beta-release-cycle-7-feature-release-preview/p1

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-2-cycle-7/

This is a feature release. A few of the early preview features are:

Bug reporting

Note that Alpha versions have not yet completed the full suite of tests by the Xamarin QA team. That said, customer bug reports are still much appreciated, even if the problem would eventually be caught by the remaining QA tests.

Installing the Alpha and switching back to Stable

You can install this new Alpha version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

Release info

Windows

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.1.0.111.msi (a78562a) Release Notes
  • XamarinStudio-6.0.0.4801.msi (f73f730) Release Notes
  • gtk-sharp-2.12.33.msi

Mac

Release Blog post including estimated timeline to Stable: https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-2-cycle-7/

See the first entry in the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

EDIT Feb 23: The Alpha previews of Xamarin.Mac and Xamarin.iOS have been temporarily unpublished pending some fixes to address essential usability. New versions should be available soon.
EDIT Feb 25: Some of the usability issues in the Xamarin.Mac and Xamarin.iOS previews have now been addressed. Additional updates on the way.
EDIT Feb 29: Add XamarinVS release notes.
EDIT Mar 03: Update Xamarin.Mac version number for new build.
EDIT Mar 07: Update Xamarin.Mac and Xamarin.iOS version number for new builds.
EDIT Mar 10: Update Xamarin Studio and XamarinVS version numbers for new builds.
EDIT Mar 15: Update version numbers for new builds.
EDIT Mar 30: Update Xamarin.iOS and GTK# version numbers for new builds.

• JamesKingJamesKing USMember
    edited February 2016

REMOVED - NOT RELEVANT

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski Brendan, thanks for the update. I was wondering if bug 36080 is still planning to be fixed in this release? I am trying to understand what each release means. I know initially 36080 was planned for Cycle 6 Service Release 2, but is that now Cycle 7 or will the other one be a separate release? In Bugzilla it is currently as Assigned.

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Please note there are a few significant issues related to Xamarin.Mac in this build. See the notes here:

https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/mac/xamarin.mac_2/xamarin.mac_2.8/

• MichaelTeperMichaelTeper USMember
    edited February 2016

Is there a bugzilla case we can look to for tracking those Xam.Mac issues?

Also, FYI, I installed C7A1, experienced the crash on startup, went back to Stable channel and now still experience crash on startup. Will try a complete uninstall-reinstall next.

Thanks!
    -Michael

UPDATE: sorted it out, in the end (I think) a complete clean and rebuild was the missing link.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

I've reported two bugs here:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=39021
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=39018

I'm loving the dark theme and Intellisense seems so much better now!

• NuninzNuninz USMember ✭✭

Do you guys have any plans on supporting Client Certificates with those new handlers? I managed to have it working with ModernHttpClient using part of this code:

https://github.com/paulcbetts/ModernHttpClient/pull/169

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@MichaelTeper - Likely you are using system mono and had installed mono 4.3. There was an incompatibility that was caught last minute, but too late to make this release, between the two. It will be fixed next Alpha.

• rseostarrseostar USUniversity ✭✭
    edited February 2016

Not sure if I should report this error here, or over to JetBrains?

After upgrading to Cycle 7, I am getting an error with a known working project.

ReSharper is giving an error directing me to reference Java.Interop when trying to use Android.Graphics.BitmapFactory.

Module 'Java.Interop, Version=0.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' should be referenced

However the build does not fail, and if I unload and reload that project the error disappears.

Should I post this to bugzilla or something?

Using Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 with ReSharper Ultimate 10.0.2, and heres my Xamarin Details:

Xamarin Studio
    Version 6.0 (build 4520)
    Installation UUID: 458b73be-8d10-45f8-9e9a-731a68e9f5b3
    Runtime:
    Microsoft .NET 4.0.30319.42000
    GTK+ 2.24.25 (Dark theme)
    GTK# 2.12.30.1

Xamarin.Profiler
    Not Installed

Xamarin.Android
    Version: 6.0.99.544 (Business Edition)
    Android SDK: D:\AndroidSDK
    Supported Android versions:
    2.3 (API level 10)
    4.0.3 (API level 15)
    4.1 (API level 16)
    4.2 (API level 17)
    4.3 (API level 18)
    4.4 (API level 19)
    4.4.87 (API level 20)
    5.0 (API level 21)
    5.1 (API level 22)
    6.0 (API level 23)

SDK Tools Version: 25.0.7
    SDK Platform Tools Version: 23.1
    SDK Build Tools Version: 23.0.2

Java SDK: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_80
    java version "1.7.0_80"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_80-b15)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.80-b11, mixed mode, sharing)

Xamarin Android Player
    Version: 0.6.5
    Location: C:\Program Files\Xamarin Android Player\DeviceManager.exe

Build Information
    Release ID: 600004520
    Git revision: a354b2cb9df4b96f50b0ccb960dbdd5a9155510c
    Build date: 2016-02-18 15:14:28-05
    Xamarin addins: 8e54979f23feee160d245a3c33e43e77779b1eb4
    Build lane: monodevelop-windows-master

Operating System
    Windows 10.0.10586.0 (64-bit)

Enabled user installed addins
    Addin Maker 1.3.0
    Show in Github 1.0.3
    Manifest.addin 0.0.0.0

• renzskarenzska USMember ✭✭
    edited February 2016

Installing Alpha 7 on Xamarin Studio leaves the Xamarin.iOS version at 9.4.1.25 within Xamarin Studio while installing Alpha 7 on Visual Studio updates Xamarin.iOS to 9.7.0.316 leaving VS unable to connect to the Mac Build Agent Host:

"The installed Xamarin.iOS (version 9.4) on the Mac Johns-MacBook-Pro.local is not compatible with the local Xamarin.iOS 9.7. Double click here to select a new server."

About Xamarin Studio:

Xamarin Studio
    Version 6.0 (build 4520)
    Installation UUID: bd08397c-f7b9-4d4f-af70-91dbbf7e8008
    Runtime:
        Mono 4.3.2 (mono-4.3.2-branch/ba2e5e4) (64-bit)
        GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

Package version: 403020467

Xamarin.Profiler
    Not Installed

Apple Developer Tools
    Xcode 7.2.1 (9548.1)
    Build 7C1002

Xamarin.Mac
    Version: 2.4.1.6 (Starter Edition)

Xamarin.Android
    Version: 6.0.99.544 (Business Edition)
    Android SDK: /Users/john/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
            2.3   (API level 10)
            4.0.3 (API level 15)
            4.4   (API level 19)
            5.0   (API level 21)
            6.0   (API level 23)

SDK Tools Version: 24.4.1
    SDK Platform Tools Version: 23.0.1
    SDK Build Tools Version: 23.0.1

Java SDK: /usr
    java version "1.7.0_71"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_71-b14)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.71-b01, mixed mode)

Xamarin Android Player

Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 9.4.1.25 (Business Edition)
    Hash: 962a050
    Branch: master
    Build date: 2016-01-29 16:59:11-0500

Build Information
    Release ID: 600004520
    Git revision: a354b2cb9df4b96f50b0ccb960dbdd5a9155510c
    Build date: 2016-02-18 14:52:07-05
    Xamarin addins: 8e54979f23feee160d245a3c33e43e77779b1eb4
    Build lane: monodevelop-lion-master

Operating System
    Mac OS X 10.11.3
    Darwin Johns-MacBook-Pro.local 15.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 15.3.0
        Thu Dec 10 18:40:58 PST 2015
        root:xnu-3248.30.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

About Visual Studio:

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
    Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01038

Installed Version: Community

Visual Basic 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA344
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2015

Visual C# 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA344
    Microsoft Visual C# 2015

Visual C++ 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA344
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015

Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ENU   00322-20000-00000-AA344
    Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ENU

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package   1.0
    Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio

ASP.NET and Web Tools 2015 (RC1 Update 1)   14.1.11120.0
    ASP.NET and Web Tools 2015 (RC1 Update 1)

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2   4.1.41102.0
    For additional information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=309563

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2013   5.2.40204.0
    For additional information, visit http://www.asp.net/

Azure App Service Tools v2.8.2   14.0.20201.0
    Azure App Service Tools v2.8.2

Common Azure Tools   1.7
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

DataFactoryProject   1.0
    Microsoft Data Factory Package

GitHub.VisualStudio   1.0
    A Visual Studio Extension that brings the GitHub Flow into Visual Studio.

Microsoft Azure Data Factory Node Node   1.0
    Azure Data Factory extension for Visual Studio Server Explorer.

Microsoft Azure HDInsight HQL Service   2.0.2900.0
    Language service for Hive query

Microsoft Azure HDInsight Tools for Visual Studio   2.0.2900.0
    An integrated development environment for HDInsight application development.

Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools   1.4
    Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools

Microsoft Azure Tools   2.8
    Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 - v2.8.40211.2

Microsoft Azure Tools   2.7
    Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 - v2.7.30818.1601

NuGet Package Manager   3.3.0
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer   1.2
    Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.

SQL Server Data Tools   14.0.50730.0
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

TypeScript   1.7.6.0
    TypeScript for Microsoft Visual Studio

Visual Studio Spell Checker   VSSpellChecker
    An editor extension that checks the spelling of comments, strings, and plain text as you type.

Workflow Manager Tools 1.0   1.0
    This package contains the necessary Visual Studio integration components for Workflow Manager.

Xamarin   99.0.0.1562 (a9dd59b)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin Inspector Support   0.5.0.0 (45b35bb)
    Adds support for inspecting Xamarin and WPF apps.

Xamarin.Android   6.0.99.544 (8f34ab4)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.iOS   9.7.0.316 (c8540f9)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@JohnRennemeyer, thanks for the report. Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac have just recently been unpublished for the moment, in part due to the issue Chris mentioned earlier in the thread.

New versions are in progress and will be published as soon as possible. In the mean time, please switch back to the Stable channel if using Xamarin.iOS or Xamarin.Mac.

I have updated the first post in the thread accordingly and I will update it again once the new builds are ready.

• KasperOvergrdNielsenKasperOvergrdNielsen DKBeta, University ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski The new Java binding framework is causing me trouble. I'm trying to avoid marshalling of byte[] with https://github.com/jamesathey/FastAndroidCamera.

This used to work, but now it doesn't. In particular typeof(JNIEnv).GetProperty ("Env", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Static); is returning null.

Could you point me to some documentation, or perhaps take a look at the project on github and elaborate on the needed changes.

• JonasWisplinghoffJonasWisplinghoff DEMember
    edited February 2016

No watchOS 2 support in this cycle? :-/

• NealCulinerNealCuliner USBeta ✭✭✭

I assume the XS 6 feedback goes here?

• The dark theme is nice but I prefer control over the colors as much as possible such as VS does. I would like the font color in the pads to be white, not subdued gray as it is in the dark theme. If you could give me a color picker in the pad font dialog that would allow me to control that better at least.
    • Dark theme for code isn't bad but I suggest adding a "Visual Studio Dark" theme for the syntax highlight area just like you have the light version.

Looking great!

@KasperOvergrdNielsen, it appears that the JNIEnv.Env property has been moved into a public static class JniEnvironment, so it looks like you no longer need to use reflection. Now you can just do:

JniEnvironment.Arrays.NewByteArray (length);

@BrendanZagaeski, Thanks!

• EricSchmeckEricSchmeck DEMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski What is this about?

Module 'Java.Interop, Version=0.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' should be referenced

Module 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' should be referenced

Visual Studio Pro 2013

edited March 2016

Having some major issues with P/Invokes in using Core Data in the iOS build. I'll report it to bugzilla but here is the typical stack trace of very repeatable crashes.

--Edit: It may be my code, investigating....

Search box on top right of XS is not working. I click in it and type and nothing happens, appears frozen. I can click around the IDE though.

• AndyLoweAndyLowe GBMember
    edited March 2016

Xib designer doesn't work in VS. Just shows a white page

XS 6 - please remember my last used SIM configuration (iOS) between sessions.

• softlionsoftlion FRBeta ✭✭✭

Connectivity issues seems fixed.
    Simulator launch issues seems fixed.

iOS binding projects do not compile from VS2015 with an error. This is a new cool feature which does not work :( A workaround is to compile the binding with xamstudio mac, and go back to vs to build the projects that depends upon the binding.

Building an up to date (already built) solution where only one project has been modified seems to try to rebuild all projects in solution.

TouchUpInside event seems not received anymore for buttons in navigation bar.

VS freezes sometime when a nuget or a file is added to an old Android project.

Assets catalogs are still completly broken.

• tomjonztomjonz DEMember

Hello.

I cannot change the UI language in Xamarin Studio Version 6.0 (build 4520)

@BrendanZagaeski I have raised a bug against XF 2.1.0 on Android, but I'm starting to suspect that is in reality related to Xamarin.Android 6.0.99.544.

I see quite a few cases where the AndroidRuntime cannot instantiate a specific ctor, like this:

03-08 16:05:20.093 25388 25388 E AndroidRuntime: Caused by: android.runtime.JavaProxyThrowable: System.NotSupportedException: Unable to activate instance of type Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ListViewAdapter from native handle 0x7fc5d26c94 (key_handle 0x490851a). ---> System.MissingMethodException: No constructor found for Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ListViewAdapter::.ctor(System.IntPtr, Android.Runtime.JniHandleOwnership) ---> Java.Interop.JavaLocationException: Exception of type 'Java.Interop.JavaLocationException' was thrown.

The bug is 39451. It seems to me to be a race of some sort.

• tomjonztomjonz DEMember

How can I create the android package with build 4520? There is no menu entry under "Project" to do this! :(

@BrendanZagaeski, I have been getting the same thing in VS2015, but it disappears if I reload the solution after attempting a build.

@rseostar, @EricSchmeck, if it will be easy and quick for you to submit a zipped up test case that demonstrates that problem on a new bug report [1], please do. That could save some time during the future stages of Cycle 7 testing (after QA completes all their standard tests). If it will not be easy to submit a test case, then it will probably be simplest to wait on any further back-and-forth until QA has completed their standard tests to see if they uncover the error themselves.

Thanks!

[1] If you keep "Only Xamarins should see this bug" switched ON, then your whole bug (including the test case attachment) will only be visible to the Xamarin team. Alternately, you can switch that setting OFF to create a public bug, file the initial bug without any attachment, and then add a private attachment later.

@BrendanZagaeski, I was going to write up a report, but I can't reliably recreate it. If I can get it to do it a couple times in a row, I'll write something up.

Is there a fix list of what was fixed between BETA 1 and BETA 2 of C7 ALPHA?

edited March 2016

It looks like for the Cycle 7 previews so far:

• The release notes for Xamarin Studio and XamarinVS have separate subsections for the different Alpha builds.

• The release notes for Xamarin.iOS include bracketed version numbers after the bug fixes.

• The release notes for Xamarin.Android don't currently include an indicator for newly added fixes. I'll check on this one.

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a problem connecting an iPhone 5c with iOS 7 on a Mac after updating to the alpha release. It doesn't show up anymore in the devices list of Xamarin Studio.

This also happens with the latest stable release.

In XCode i can see that there is an error message that shows up several times a second as soon as i start Xamarin Studio, even without opening a project:

Mar 16 08:04:38 iPhone-von-Harmen-groe-Deters lockdownd[52] <Notice>: 00303000 set_response_error: handle_get_value GetProhibited
    Mar 16 08:04:38 iPhone-von-Harmen-groe-Deters lockdownd[52] <Notice>: 00303000 set_response_error: handle_get_value GetProhibited

iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529)
    iOS 7.1 (11D167)

=== Xamarin Studio ===

Version 6.0 (build 4801)
    Installation UUID: 27205b5b-feb1-4af7-8c87-deb2ada77ce5
    Runtime:
    Mono 4.4.0 (mono-4.4.0-branch/f8474c4) (64-bit)
    GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

Package version: 404000040

=== Xamarin.Profiler ===

Version: 0.31.0
    Location: /Applications/Xamarin Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/Xamarin Profiler

=== Apple Developer Tools ===

Xcode 7.2.1 (9548.1)
    Build 7C1002

=== Xamarin.iOS ===

Version: 9.8.0.58 (Business Edition)
    Hash: fa3b68c
    Branch: master
    Build date: 2016-03-09 11:44:54-0500

=== Xamarin.Android ===

Version: 6.1.0.16 (Business Edition)
    Android SDK: /Users/wilhelm/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
    2.3 (API level 10)
    4.0.3 (API level 15)
    4.1 (API level 16)
    4.2 (API level 17)
    4.3 (API level 18)
    4.4 (API level 19)
    4.4.87 (API level 20)
    5.0 (API level 21)
    5.1 (API level 22)
    6.0 (API level 23)

SDK Tools Version: 24.4.1
    SDK Platform Tools Version: 23.0.1
    SDK Build Tools Version: 20.0.0

Java SDK: /usr
    java version "1.8.0_31"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

Android Designer EPL code available here:
    https://github.com/xamarin/AndroidDesigner.EPL

=== Xamarin Android Player ===

=== Xamarin.Mac ===

Not Installed

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 600004801
    Git revision: f73f730c738baf8701a5892b7af64fd468d1dc0c
    Build date: 2016-03-14 14:28:06-04
    Xamarin addins: 3af7be6c701eb0137645a03e38b82f23b65738c3
    Build lane: monodevelop-lion-cycle7

=== Operating System ===

Mac OS X 10.10.5
    Darwin gm-imac.local 14.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0
    Tue Sep 1 21:23:09 PDT 2015
    root:xnu-2782.50.1~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

edited March 2016

@DirkWilhelm, that matches the symptoms of Bug 39508. I will add you to the tally of affected users on that bug to help with further prioritization.

EDIT: Add to tally of affected users.

• NateCookPersonalNateCookPersonal USUniversity ✭✭

In the Mono 4.4. notes what does

Portable Class Libraries
    Introduced support for the PCL v3 contracts

mean? I can't find any information about that anywhere.
    http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/releases/4.4.0/#portable-class-libraries

Xamarin Studio 6 SEARCH box in upper right (on Mac) has a heavy border, all other "things" in the IDE top area to the left and center are not that heavy. Intended? Looks odd, suggest border thickness same as other elements.

• rwebbrwebb GBMember

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas about the issue I raised at https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=39100, with embedding the alpha universal build of Mono on OSX?

All i'm doing is linking an app to mono.framework in xcode, and it builds ok but at runtime gives me

dyld: Library not loaded: /private/tmp/source-mono-4.4.0/bockbuild-mono-4.4.0-branch/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/package-root/lib/libmonosgen-2.0.1.dylib

Using install_name_tool to change the library id works around it, but that's not really a solution.

Thanks.

• JonBoyzJonBoyz USMember

Hello. In the latest Alpha 4801 I cannot found any menu entry to create the Android package. How can I do this? Also the language cannot be changed.

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited March 2016

Hi @rwebb,

Your question would be better asked on the Mac forum. The Xamarin.Mac team might not see it here.

Has no one any idea for the Android package problem? I know, that this in only visible in release, but in version 4801 it is not visible. :(

Is it true that there will be in future no Xamarin Studio more for Windows? What are the differences in the use of Xamarin in the various Visual Studio Editions? Does the Community Edition contains the feature for native compilation for Android or we need a extra Obfuscator?

When searching for something OR clicking an item in the Document Outline it typically scrolls that row to the bottom of the IDE and maybe even just out of view, not sure. It would be nice if search hits like this scroll to center or top of the document view.

This discussion has been closed.