AudioObjectGetPropertyData not found in xamarin..

renanjegouzorenanjegouzo FRMember
edited February 2016 in Xamarin.Mac

I don't know how to translate this code in xamarin, I can't find the API..

http://pastebin.com/raw/QvgcSUse

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USXamarin Team Xamurai

I've fixed the formatting issue (our forum sometimes has trouble with code that has { and } marks and edited your post.

I'll take a look at your question shortly.

Our AudioUnit API does some wrapping around the low level "C" style API to make it a bit more C# friendly. However, sometimes that causes issues finding what API you exactly need.

Try AudioUnit.AudioUnit.GetCurrentInputDevice ()

• I want to list all audio devices inputs and outputs.
    to setup the output device for OutputAudioQueue and input device for InpuAudioQueue
    kinda like this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20051529/audioqueue-change-audio-device-while-audioqueue-is-running (but without running ;)

• I need a DeviceID to setup the "device" property on both InputAudioQueue and OutputAudioQueue

• AudioQueue service is completely independent from audiounit

I believe we have all of the relevant APIs bound. Please feel free to ask here or file bugs if you can confirm a given API is missing.

Use of the Audio APIs is non-trivial and will require much trial and error.

It appears our current binding for AudioQueue / InputAudioStream are:

InputAudioQueue (AudioStreamBasicDescription desc)
    InputAudioQueue (AudioStreamBasicDescription desc, CFRunLoop runLoop, string runMode)

• I have no problem using AudioQueue, what I'm seeking is the c# binding for AudioObjectGetPropertyData()

So, we don't in general expose the "raw" get property data like APIs for many of the AudioAPIs. Normally things are wrapped in C# safe properties. If you really want it, something like this should work:

[DllImport ("/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/AudioUnit")]
            static extern int AudioObjectGetPropertyData (
            uint inObjectID,
            ref AudioObjectPropertyAddress inAddress,
            ref uint inQualifierDataSize,
            ref IntPtr inQualifierData,
            ref uint ioDataSize,
            out uint outData
        );

But if you need that, then likely our binding has missing sections and you should file a bug (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com) as well.

• renanjegouzorenanjegouzo FRMember

I think it's here the real problem with xamarin, you should try to support the apple API directly, as the apple API is well documented, and yours not.

In general, the mapping from objective-c to C# is straightforward. I admit in this case it is less so.

We'll keep your feedback in mind.

• DamianMehersDamianMehers CHBeta ✭✭

@ChrisHamons said:
    Our AudioUnit API does some wrapping around the low level "C" style API to make it a bit more C# friendly. However, sometimes that causes issues finding what API you exactly need.

Try AudioUnit.AudioUnit.GetCurrentInputDevice ()

Hi Chris, any reason why you didn't create a GetCurrentOutputDevice wrapper (using kAudioHardwarePropertyDefaultOutputDevice)?

I see from the source that it should be pretty straight-forward, and will try to do it myself and submit a pull request if it works.

Two years ago when I wrote this we weren't even open source yet (if I remember my dates right March was before build). In addition, getting builds out with changes was significantly more difficult, thus working around the API flaws was a better short term plan.

I did neglect to patch the hole, likely because I forgot after the fact. A PR with that change would be welcome. Feel free to assign it to me once you make it and I'll take a look.

@ChrisHamons said:
    Two years ago when I wrote this we weren't even open source yet (if I remember my dates right March was before build). In addition, getting builds out with changes was significantly more difficult, thus working around the API flaws was a better short term plan.

I did neglect to patch the hole, likely because I forgot after the fact. A PR with that change would be welcome. Feel free to assign it to me once you make it and I'll take a look.

Sorry - didn't mean to sound accusatory, just wanted to check if there was a technical hitch.

No worries, just explaining the context. :)

I have GetCurrentOutputDevice working hacked together locally. I'm working on a proper pull request. In case I screw up the pull request, here is my local code, for reference:

public class MyAudioUnit {

[DllImport(ObjCRuntime.Constants.AudioUnitLibrary)]
        static extern int AudioObjectGetPropertyData(
          uint inObjectID,
          ref AudioObjectPropertyAddress inAddress,
          ref uint inQualifierDataSize,
          ref IntPtr inQualifierData,
          ref uint ioDataSize,
          out uint outData
        );

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)]
        struct AudioObjectPropertyAddress {
          public uint /* UInt32 */ Selector;
          public uint /* UInt32 */ Scope;
          public uint /* UInt32 */ Element;

public AudioObjectPropertyAddress(uint selector, uint scope, uint element) {
            Selector = selector;
            Scope = scope;
            Element = element;
          }

public AudioObjectPropertyAddress(AudioUnit.AudioObjectPropertySelector selector, AudioUnit.AudioObjectPropertyScope scope, AudioUnit.AudioObjectPropertyElement element) {
            Selector = (uint)selector;
            Scope = (uint)scope;
            Element = (uint)element;
          }

}

public static uint GetCurrentOutputDevice() {
          uint outputDevice;
          var size = (uint) Marshal.SizeOf (typeof (uint));
          var theAddress = new AudioObjectPropertyAddress (
            AudioUnit.AudioObjectPropertySelector.DefaultOutputDevice,
            AudioUnit.AudioObjectPropertyScope.Global,
            AudioUnit.AudioObjectPropertyElement.Master);
          uint inQualifierDataSize = 0;
          IntPtr inQualifierData = IntPtr.Zero;

var err = AudioObjectGetPropertyData (1, ref theAddress, ref inQualifierDataSize, ref inQualifierData, ref size, out outputDevice);

if (err != 0) throw new Exception("Error: " + err);
            //throw new AudioUnit.AudioUnitException()(int) err);
          return outputDevice;
        }  
      }