Find in files shortcut not working frequently

Shift+Cmd+F shortcut is not working frequently in Xamarin Studio. I have to restart Xamarin Studio in order to get it working.

Answers

• GeraldVersluisGeraldVersluis NLUniversity ✭✭✭✭

Did you install the latest Xamarin Studio which fixes the disabled menu-items bug?

• AnilMathpatiAnilMathpati INMember ✭✭

Yes, I am using Xamarin Studio Version 5.10.2 (build 56)

I have now using XS 6.0 on MacBook, still I see this issue.
    Do anyone know the resolution?

• This issue is still present in 6.1 (build 5441). Additionally, Find In Files now doesn't seem to return the correct results, instead it returns random strings where it thinks it's found a search result.

Only Find seems to work in this build...

• I am currently using Xamarin Studio (Mac) version 6.1, build 5441 and discovered that 'Find In Files' does not work, with only rare exceptions now and again.

In fact, I can run a search that brings up a result, then run it again and get 0 results. I've restarted Xamarin Studio and tried different sln files I'm working with, and the 'Find In Files' feature appears to be broken across the board.

This is a major problem... Has anyone discovered the root issue, and how to resolve it? Or is this just a bug in Xamarin Studio that needs addressing by Xamarin?

Thanks,
    Jon

• AriHamaraAriHamara USMember

@JonathanBachelor said:
    I am currently using Xamarin Studio (Mac) version 6.1, build 5441 and discovered that 'Find In Files' does not work, with only rare exceptions now and again.

In fact, I can run a search that brings up a result, then run it again and get 0 results. I've restarted Xamarin Studio and tried different sln files I'm working with, and the 'Find In Files' feature appears to be broken across the board.

This is a major problem... Has anyone discovered the root issue, and how to resolve it? Or is this just a bug in Xamarin Studio that needs addressing by Xamarin?

Thanks,
    Jon

Same problem with Xamarin Studio (Mac) version 6.1, build 5441. This makes working very hard.

• DemiVisionDemiVision USMember ✭✭

Totally broken for me as well. Xamarin Studio Mac (OSX El Capitan, Xamarin Studio 6.1.1.15). Trivial search with no matches found. The same thing happens searching in either entire solution, just the project, or all open files. However, "Current Document" does return correct results (which doesn't help much for a find in files search). This seems like a pretty fundamental problem. Hopefully a fix is imminent!

• TonyGodtTonyGodt DKMember ✭✭

Same issue here - running newest (stable) build of XS - has been broken for months.

If I select it from the menu, verything works/searches as expected.

• CyrilCathalaCyrilCathala FRMember ✭✭

Same problem here, it has been several months like that... I have to reboot Xamarin Studio at least 10 times a day just to have search working, it's a real pain!

• BenoitRenaudBenoitRenaud CAMember ✭✭

@DemiVision said:
    Totally broken for me as well. Xamarin Studio Mac (OSX El Capitan, Xamarin Studio 6.1.1.15). Trivial search with no matches found. The same thing happens searching in either entire solution, just the project, or all open files. However, "Current Document" does return correct results (which doesn't help much for a find in files search). This seems like a pretty fundamental problem. Hopefully a fix is imminent!

Glad to know I'm not alone!
    The solution I found was to look in Directory instead of solution or project, kind of annoying, but at least I can keep on working

• scalbattyscalbatty USMember

This is also happening on Sierra with the latest stable release.

The keyboard shortcut stops working until I restart Xamarin Studio, which is a pain as dev work is way better with no interruptions.

I hope someone from Xamarin is listening.

• Totally broken. I have to use grep on the mac command line.

The debugger also is weird sometimes not showing any Locals or sometimes showing duplicate locals. I have to use "printf" in the code to debug.

I was plagued by this problem for a long time, but it appears to be fixed in the latest version (6.1.1.15). At least for me.

• Unfortunately, I am already using 6.1.1.15

• MohammadBraeiMohammadBraei DEUniversity

Same problem for me. Restart doesn't solve the problem

• Brian.6516Brian.6516 USMember
    edited October 2016

Same problem here as well ... OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, Xamarin Studio 6.1.1 (build 15). On restart I can get a single Find in Files, then it's back to "Search completed - 0 matches" ... Kind of an unproductive productivity feature.
    Has anyone emailed Xamarin Support or know whether this is in their queue?

• I don't know, but I just did.

Update to my previous comment. It worked perfectly for me for one session following the update to 6.1.1.15 then stopped working again. Incidentally, when it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work from either the shortcut or the menu item.

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hey all,

I just saw Shawns email. I started a bug report to track this here. Please add your information to that report, which should include the following:

• Full Xamarin Studio information from Xamarin Studio -> About Xamarin Studio -> Show Details -> Copy Information
    • Zip and attach the log files from the Help -> Open Log Directory after you notice the issue.
    • Include any details in a comment on how/when you experience this and what you do work around it

Note, if anyone notices something like this in the future, feel free to start a bug report like this. It is easier to collect actionable information (logs, version information, affected users, etc) in a bug report and it notifies relevant teams.

Thanks!

• Brian.6516Brian.6516 USMember

Thanks John!
    BTW, I realize this is ...find-in-files-shortcut-not-working-frequently... thread with your bug report - Bug 45753 - Find in Files keyboard shortcut is intermittently not working,

... but I find this problem to occur when I use the Search->Find in Files menu path as well. I assume that's taken into account in the bug report? Or should we start another?

• I am writing my comment on the bug right now and I said the same thing that is has nothing to do with keyboard shortcuts.

However, I would like to say that I think it is good corporate practice to employ 1 full-time person to do nothing other than monitor the user forums. I think that would keep everyone more calm on these user forums to know that they are being heard. You can find many user forum posts of people saying stuff like, "Is anybody from Xamarin reading this?" or "Can we get an official response from Xamarin here?"

I wish I could give 1000 Likes for that comment!!

• MohammadBraeiMohammadBraei DEUniversity
    edited October 2016

However, I would like to say that I think it is good corporate practice to employ 1 full-time person to do nothing other than monitor the user forums. I think that would keep everyone more calm on these user forums to know that they are being heard. You can find many user forum posts of people saying stuff like, "Is anybody from Xamarin reading this?" or "Can we get an official response from Xamarin here?

I wished I could like it 1000 times, too. A basic requirement for a working environment is a big and working community. Two and half years ago when I started Xamarin, there was a chat room with an employee of Xamarin. Then they closed it and said that the forum exists, but in the last year when I write posts in this forum, I rarely get a reply.

• bobwardwellbobwardwell USMember

@BenoitRenaud said:

@DemiVision said:

Glad to know I'm not alone!
    The solution I found was to look in Directory instead of solution or project, kind of annoying, but at least I can keep on working

Thanks BenoitRenaud - Ran into this, and the "look in directory" workaround works great. As you say, kind of annoying, but makes this semi-functional.

• Hi

the "look in directory" workaround is a very good but partial solution; does the ".cs" mask work for you..I found out that the mask ".xml" works but "*.cs" doesn't.

As I set the "home" to my solution to look for the word either in pcl or native projects, it also looks inside the bin, packages folders etc finding many more occurences than i need

Have you experienced this further issue?

Bye

alessandro