Forum Visual Studio

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 breaks xamarin and build host in IOS

DevGuyUKDevGuyUK GBMember ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Visual Studio

my macbook pro auto installed OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 and now my xamarin mac agent will not connect from another machine on the network.
It fails trying to retrieve the finger print. Tried both hard wired in and wireless.

On a VM(parallels) on the mac it connect and seems to build but never deploys or launches.. the iOS profiles also never get picked up and it only shows 'automatic'. I've tried rolling back to the 9.4 version of xamarin also but this issue still exists.

Tagged:

• JasonJensenJasonJensen USUniversity

I am on el capitan at it works...

• DevGuyUKDevGuyUK GBMember ✭✭

everything worked 100% on OS X El Capitan 10.11.2. It was the latest update ( OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 ) that has messed things up.

• JeffDalbyJeffDalby USUniversity ✭✭

I've got this same problem now as well using Visual Studio 2015. Things seem to build but I can't debug and the simulator never launches when telling it to build on my Mac which updated to 10.11.3 last night. If I hit the Show iOS Simulator button it will show it so something is talking between the two.

• JeffDalbyJeffDalby USUniversity ✭✭

OK for me there were multiple things going on. The update seems to have logged XCode out of my account, and also XCode was stuck in a "Waiting" state for some sort of update in the App store, which I suspect couldn't finish because of something Xamarin had launched in the background. After rebooting and cleaning all that up my system is working again.

• NurhakKayaNurhakKaya USMember ✭✭
    edited February 2016

Hello @DevGuyUK I think I have the same problem. Looks like OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 has messed things up, have you found a solution to your problem? Cheers.

Below you can see the logs:

Xamarin.Messaging.Client.Ssh.SshCommandRunner Information: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:00:37.8425] MacServer State transition from SshConnectingState to DisconnectedState on MacMiniBuildServer.local (192.168.101.92)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Messaging.State.ServerStateContext Error: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:00:37.9896] Couldn't connect to MacMiniBuildServer.local. Please try again.
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Messaging.State.DisconnectedState Information: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:00:38.1637] Disconnected from Mac MacMiniBuildServer.local (192.168.101.92)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Messaging.State.ServerStateContext Information: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:02:28.7136] MacServer State transition from DisconnectedState to SshConnectingState on MacMiniBuildServer.local (192.168.101.92)
    Xamarin.Messaging.VisualStudio.MessagingService Information: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:02:31.4381] Starting Broker 4.0.0.1717 in port 57034...
    Xamarin.Messaging.Client.Ssh.SshCommandRunner Warning: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:02:31.6579] Failed to execute 'ls /usr/bin/mono': ExitStatus=1
    Xamarin.Messaging.Client.Ssh.SshCommandRunner Warning: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:02:31.7539] /Users/administrator/.bashrc: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
    /Users/administrator/.bashrc: line 1: `<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">'
    ls: /usr/bin/mono: No such file or directory

Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Messaging.State.DisconnectedState Information: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:02:31.9114] MacServer State transition from SshConnectingState to DisconnectedState on MacMiniBuildServer.local (192.168.101.92)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Messaging.State.ServerStateContext Error: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:02:32.0225] Couldn't connect to MacMiniBuildServer.local. Please try again.
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Messaging.State.DisconnectedState Information: 0 : [2016-02-19 12:02:32.1345] Disconnected from Mac MacMiniBuildServer.local (192.168.101.92)

• NurhakKayaNurhakKaya USMember ✭✭

This is how I managed to solve my problem.

Open a new terminal in Mac and open sshd_config file, find "#UseDNS" no and change it to "UseDNS" no by using the following command:

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit &
    open -a "TextEdit" /etc/sshd_config

If you have permission problems, try to copy this file to somewhere safe and update it there and then replace it with the original file. Please check this for more details.

After that I also created an empty .bashrc file copied it to this direction /Users/administrator/

Now I can connect to my macmini from VS2015.

@NurhakKaya said:
    This is how I managed to solve my problem.

Open a new terminal in Mac and open sshd_config file, find "#UseDNS" no and change it to "UseDNS" no by using the following command:

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit &
    open -a "TextEdit" /etc/sshd_config

If you have permission problems, try to copy this file to somewhere safe and update it there and then replace it with the original file. Please check this for more details.

After that I also created an empty .bashrc file copied it to this direction /Users/administrator/

Now I can connect to my macmini from VS2015.

I can confirm this works. :) thanks NurhakKaya

• When i tried it tells me /etc/sshd_config does not exist. What should i do?

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@TarangPandya - try /etc/ssh/sshd_config

I found it in the /etc/ssh/ folder..

• @David Hunt - Thanks i found it.

• I tried above steps. Still i am not being able to connect to MacAgent from windows inside parallels..

have you restarted and logged back into xcode?

• MartinBrekhofMartinBrekhof NLUniversity ✭✭

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/27/ethernet-not-working-imac-macbook-pro/

could be a/the reason for this problem, seems to be solved also.

• TarangPandyaTarangPandya USMember

@DevGuyUK - Yes, l restarted and logged back in XCode.

• SeanKSeanK USMember

I am just getting started with Xamarin and want to build a simple iOS app. I purchased a new mac mini for this, and will develop on my Windows 10 machine. I'm experiencing this issue and have updated sshd_config and put in a blank .bashrc. I still cannot connect. Are there any other workarounds out there?

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@TarangPandya and @SeanK Checking the Xamarin Logs will throw some light on what exactly is happening. With the iOS 9.3 bearing Xcode update there appears to be some issue. But finally it works.

To check the logs: Help -> Xamarin -> Open Logs...

• tieutu6789tieutu6789 VNMember

I don't connected to Mac ( iAtkOS ML2 on virtualbox ) form Visual studio 2015, I need help.
    Error: Couldn't retrieve SSH Fingerprint.

i would check the firewall> @tieutu6789 said:

I don't connected to Mac ( iAtkOS ML2 on virtualbox ) form Visual studio 2015, I need help.
    Error: Couldn't retrieve SSH Fingerprint.

i would check the firewall settings