Inspector 0.5.0 Released

abockabock USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

The Inspector team is happy to announce the availability of the 0.5.0 bug fix and feature release!

This release brings many rendering and interaction improvements to the REPL. Building on the interactive enumerable support introduced in 0.4.0, this release allows for deep inspection of arbitrary objects. We've also implemented some nicer rendering for certain types.

Finally, we are introducing standalone mode for iOS in this release! You can now play with the REPL in an iOS application context without having to create an iOS application in Xamarin Studio.

Please read the detailed release notes for details on new features!

• zahikramerzahikramer ILMember ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

Can someone explain how to use Standalone feature from Mac on iOS Simulator on app i developed from VS?

The Standalone feature seems to work only on the bundled UIKIT app and i don't know how to activate it on MY app.
    (i don't use XS , but developing ios apps from VS)

Please help , thanks .

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

You should read https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/inspector/ . The point of standalone mode is to quickly get a REPL without having to create an app.

Connecting to your own app should be done through the IDE integration, not through standalone mode. Instructions are in the documentation I linked.

That being said, we do not support inspecting iOS apps on Windows at this time. Check out the "Requirements" section of the documentation.

Thanks @SandyArmstrong
    I already read.
    But, i don't understand.
    What is the point of REPL for only constant App , even from standalone , if i can't use it to debug my app?
    I thought the point of standalone is like my case, if i working from VS and don't have XS on Mac (or don't have my solution on XS on Mac) , and quickly want to see my UI tree on IOS.
    No?

edited January 2016

When we say "standalone", we specifically mean inspecting a simple app that we provide so that you get quick access to a C# REPL. You can use this to quickly test out some API or language features. It's kind of like Sketches or the csharp command line REPL we already provide with Mono. "Standalone" never means inspecting your own app.

Inspecting an iOS app that you are running from Visual Studio is something we'd like to support in the future, through the normal IDE integration.

edited January 2016

Oh.
    I understand now.
    But. I think to allow the standalone feature to inspect EVERY app on the simulator , is a quick flow
    to our kind of developers who are using VS.
    Isn't it?

No. The simple app we bundle for standalone mode comes with Inspector support already integrated.

Normally, Inspector support is injected into apps via the IDE extension we provide.

Ok.
    Thanks Sandy.
    Hope the support for VS will come soon...