Having Issues with connection in MSVS to Mac Host

I have a Mac on my LAN that I can reach via SSH emulation from the PC that also has MSVS 14 installed. I also was able to build 'something' using the cmd line MSBUILD without error instructions referenced further down on the web page providing instruction on basic connections in that manner. But Xamarin will not connect via the normal GUI route in MSVS. It sometimes sees the Mac and sometimes doesn't but in either case either explicitly giving the correct IP and login credentials the login fails.
I'm no newbie to IT and I am trying to do a simple evaluation of the product for a major project and so far, I've spent a couple of days on and off messing with this and it's flat not working. I have not written one single meaningful line of code in this yet...so far I am not particularly impressed with this level of overhead and fussing. I would appreciate any thoughts on the topic.

PS - I thought in the trial version (for evaluation purposes) you were supposed to get access to iOS tools in Xamarin Studio. I saw it install when I ran the installer for Windows, but there is no option when creating a project to include iOS, only Android is available, in spite of what the online tutorial says.

Answers

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@MichaelColumbus
    According to your name, you should know, that America was not found in a single day...
    Sorry, but that had to be... :smirk:

Joke beside... maybe my starter-guide may help you:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/36821/quickstart-guide-to-start-developing-with-xamarin-forms#latest

A few questions:

• what do you mean with MSVS 14 (Visual Studio 2014... or what...?)?
    • what do you mean with "will not connect via the normal GUI route"?
    • you want to use Xamarin.Forms or Xamarin.iOS or Xamarin.Android?

Note:

• I also had about a full week, until my whole environment (VS, MAC, BH on the MAC and so on have worked)
      => Therefore, I have wrote the starter-guide which should help new users to get started faster...

Please have a look an the starter-guide and then post your problems more in detail...

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@MichaelColumbus said:
    PS - I thought in the trial version (for evaluation purposes) you were supposed to get access to iOS tools in Xamarin Studio. I saw it install when I ran the installer for Windows, but there is no option when creating a project to include iOS, only Android is available, in spite of what the online tutorial says.

iOS development is not supported in Xamarin Studio on Windows. You are expected to use Visual Studio with the Xamarin plugin for that. It is included in the trial version.

• Thanks a lot gents for the input...
    @FredyWenger - like the other person with that last name, I have no idea where I'm going either...ha-ha.
    I meant to say Microsoft Visual Studio Community 15 and by in the GUI I mean via that and Tools > Options > Xamarin > iOS settings > Find Xamarin Mac Agent (Mac user all set for sharing, tested that with telnet ssh) > select the Mac in question > enter credentials > Error message “Couldn’t connect to Mac (etc.)’. Good credentials, good remote login setup on Mac, right IP, but no such luck. Stumped. And, I was just following the bouncing ball as per the tutorial provided for the HelloVS thing which is advertised as a Xamarin.iOS setup.

@DaveHunt - Thanks, wasn't clear at that time about that fine point.

I'll try the link Fredy sent beginning next week, so thanks again for the help