New board and new Samples for UrhoSharp

MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hello,

We moved the existing announcement of UrhoSharp to a new board. Hopefully we can now keep all UrhoSharp discussions here.

Egor has also added a nice 3D chart example here with animations:

https://github.com/xamarin/urho-samples/tree/master/FeatureSamples/Core/41_Charts

I love that the entire sample is trivial.

We also have some news for Winforms/WPF users.

You can embed your Urho content inside a WPF or Winforms app, just like you can embed Urho into your existing Android and iOS apps. Check:

https://github.com/xamarin/urho-samples/tree/6689a16b63dfbb01562af2f857364025880fe0fe/FeatureSamples/WPF

https://github.com/xamarin/urho-samples/tree/6689a16b63dfbb01562af2f857364025880fe0fe/FeatureSamples/WinForms

For how this is done.

And to show it off, we now have nice WPF/Winforms shells for the feature demos, as opposed to the old command line shell that we had before.

Enjoy!

• IanThompsonIanThompson GBMember

Looks cool, UrhoSharp is still pretty much under the radar, you may need to step up the viral marketing a bit to make some more noise in the dev community. Reddit is a good start, create a UrhoSharp group, also a couple of "Hello World" YouTube videos would be a nice way to get noticed too IMHO.

• VincentwxVincentwx CAMember ✭✭

First let me say thanks for the great nuget package. I am a long time LOB application developer, had zero game programming experience. After I checked the samples, and eventually made them work on desktop and android, I am very impressed, and decided to try it out. I started with the tutorial and expanded it with simple physics to see how the collision works. I have no idea how good this engine is compared to others, such as Unity, but I like it as C# developer.

I just have a question regarding the platform support. Is there any change there will be a Windows 10 UWP package in the future?

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

@IanThompson I think that is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that I might want to have more scenarios of useful things that developers can do with Urho.

@Vincentwx If there is enough interest in Urho, we would add UWP support. That is something that we would have to do in collaboration with the upstream Urho project.

I found UrhoSharp is a very good game engine for C# developer. However, to my surprise, I don't see that much people here as I expected. I am just wondering if Xamarin has a long term plan to keep it going forward.

• mpupmpup USMember

Is there plans to for a Forms version? I spend a few hours roughing out an ios/android custom view renderer.

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

@mpup We have been approaching the Forms problem from a slightly different angle. The forms team is adding at my request an easier way to use native controls, and an easier way to turn forms into native controls. So this should be covered in that way.

That said, I can appreciate having a Forms component now that would do all, it is a great idea!

@Vincentwx I think the lack of users is a combination of (a) this is a new technology (b) Urho today does not have tooling as sophisticated as commercial offerings like Unity so it is going to appeal to a different crowd.

@MigueldeIcaza I read your post at Urho3d's forum. If these two projects can work together closely, it would be great for both.

• BenjaminGmeinerBenjaminGmeiner USMember ✭✭

@mpup said:
    Is there plans to for a Forms version? I spend a few hours roughing out an ios/android custom view renderer.

Have you had any luck with iOS? I tried the same and it worked well on Android but on iOS it messed up the layouting...

• mpupmpup USMember

@BenjaminGmeiner
    So far so good. I created a custom forms view with the iOS renderer creating a UrhoSurface which gets set as the native view. The renderer references a pcl class that implements the scene (so I write the scene code once). However, I've only tested it in simple form layouts.