Game development for iOS

PierPier MXMember

I'm thinking about using Mono game with Mono touch and Mono develop to make 3d games in iOS, and I have some very general questions.

I may be wrong, but Unity seems like a tool for non programmers, and UDK seems too complex.

• How would I test the apps on a device? Would I need to upload the IPA file manually using iTunes?
  • Is there some kind of performance benchmark tests of different devices (iPad2, iPad3, iPhone 4, etc) using Mono game?
  • Any books on the subject?

TIA

• GuillermoGutierrezGuillermoGutierrez ESMember ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

I've used Cocos2D for native iOS development and it's really easy to use. I recommend Ray Wenderlich tutorials about Cocos2D and Texture Packer and Physics Editor, it's how I started some time ago. There are MonoTouch bindings for Cocos2D so you could implement everything using MonoTouch, but in this case it's iOS-only development.

Haven't tested myself, but MonoGame looks like a solid alternative for Cross-Platform game development. In their website you have access to documentation and books. In my next game I'd definitely give it a try.

Cheers!

• GuillermoGutierrezGuillermoGutierrez ESMember ✭✭✭

Almost forgot Cocos2d-XNA, the mix of my previous two proposals (Cocos2d + MonoGame).

• PierPier MXMember

Thanks, but as I said I'm looking for 3d framework.

• SmartyPSmartyP USInsider, University ✭✭

Now that Unity doesn't cost money to deploy to Android and iOS, I'd very much suggest it. It is definitely different from coding everything from scratch, but once you make the adjustment your development time for you game can be a fraction of the time. I've been using it for 2D stuff even, and if you look on their blog you'll see a large percentage of top mobile games are built on their tech (just like Cocos2D, but the scale is typically not the same).

• JohnColgroveJohnColgrove USMember

Pier, MonoGame can be used for a 3D game. It's been done before. Just so you know.

• PierPier MXMember

iOS games? Which ones?

What about my other questions?

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

"Which ones" - http://www.monogame.net/showcase

You test on a device by transferring them over USB or WiFi with Xamarin Studio, or you can use a service like TestFlightApp.com to distribute them to additional testers.

Books - I'm not aware of any books on Monogame.

Benchmarks - I think it depends a lot on what your game is doing. This is probably a better question to ask on the MonoGame forums.

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

There is a Pluralsight course on using Monogame - http://pluralsight.com/training/courses/TableOfContents?courseName=monogame