Alpha Release: Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 – Service Release 1

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited January 2016 in General

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/59591/beta-release-xamarin-4-cycle-6-service-release-1/p1

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-3-cycle-6-service-release-1/

This is a medium sized bugfix release. It addresses several of the known issues from the Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 Feature Release. See the Release Blog post for more details.

NOTE: Alpha versions have not yet completed the full suite of tests by the Xamarin QA team. That said, customer reports of any regressions (or bugs that are incorrectly marked fixed) are still much appreciated, even if the problem would have eventually been caught during the full QA testing process.

Remaining known issues

You can view all of the remaining bugs that have been reported against the Xamarin 4 ("Cycle 6") versions using the following Bugzilla query:

Bug filing

If you find any new issues in this release compared to the current Stable versions or the previous "Xamarin 3" versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate, please do file a quick bug report, and then feel free to add a note on this thread with the bug number. Thanks!

Previous versions, downgrading

You can install this new Alpha version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

Older versions

You can downgrade back to the previous Xamarin 3 Stable versions (from November 10) by manually reinstalling each old package. See the "Get the latest stable version of Xamarin 3" section on your account page: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#xamarin3. If you have any trouble downloading the previous versions from that link, would like to install an older set of versions, or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need, feel free to write to contact@xamarin.com.

Release info

Windows

Mac

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-3-cycle-6-service-release-1/

See the first entry in the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

(These are the same as for the initial Cycle 6 Feature Release.)

• [XamarinVS] The Cycle 6 builds of XamarinVS now require Visual Studio 2012 or higher. Following along with the end of Mainstream Support for Visual Studio 2010 by Microsoft, Cycle 6 is not compatible with VS 2010.

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [Xamarin Studio] [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] [Xamarin.Mac] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

EDIT Dec 09: Update Bugzilla query.
EDIT Dec 10: Update XamarinVS and Xamarin.iOS versions for Xcode 7.2 compatibility.
EDIT Dec 18: Update for new Alpha versions.
EDIT Jan 16: Correct a small formatting issue.
EDIT Jan 18: Update for new Alpha versions.

• DerekBeattie.6675DerekBeattie.6675 Derek Beattie US ✭✭

The hang I experience seems to happen in Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.Services, AndroidToolsBuildService, RunMsBUildTarget.

bool flag = buildSubmission.Item2;

Seems to throw and cancel the build.

• DerekBeattie.6675DerekBeattie.6675 Derek Beattie US ✭✭

I think you can ignore my last post, I think the issue is with adb possibly.

• RamonEsteban.2801RamonEsteban.2801 Ramon Esteban ESUniversity ✭✭

After installing this Alpha Release I'm still getting the same issue since I migrated to Xamarin 4:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36577

Please can someone have a look at this?

More info here as well: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/56781/mtouch-failing-with-linkskip-in-xamarin-4

The only workaround I've found is to rollback to Xamarin 3.

Thanks in advance.

• NealCulinerNealCuliner Neal Culiner USBeta ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

I had one issue with appearance I reported to bugzilla and @SebastienPouliot handled it. My beta testers are reporting issues on 32-bit iPads and I reproduced this as well on my iPad 4 which I don't normally test with. I'm having major issues with C6 SR1-A2 with my GlassButton (UIButton that Miguel and others customized) on a modal dialog, images not rendering, etc. I haven't pinned this down for a "good" bug report yet but something seems very wrong on 32-bit devices with this ALPHA release. Please test on 32-bit devices and see what you can determine as well.

Screenshot shows no login buttons (just positioned UIButtons) and after I login with the keypad there is no startup screen where we show a view with a full screen image, etc. etc. Users are reporting lockups, etc.

I just tried my 5th option in testing which is to turn ON "perform all 32-bit floats as 64 bit float". I turned this off due to the noted performance hit. Now it's working but I'd like to not use this if possible.

• cali029cali029 Chris Lazarte CAMember

@BrendanZagaeski said:
    Release Blog post: xamarin.com/alpha-preview-2-cycle-6-service-release-1">https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-2-cycle-6-service-release-1

This is a medium sized bugfix release. It addresses several of the known issues from the Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 Feature Release. See the Release Blog post for more details.

NOTE: Alpha versions have not yet completed the full suite of tests by the Xamarin QA team. That said, customer reports of any regressions (or bugs that are incorrectly marked fixed) are still much appreciated, even if the problem would have eventually been caught during the full QA testing process.

Remaining known issues

See the "Known Issues" section on the Release Blog post.

Complete bug list

You can view the complete list of bug reports against the Xamarin 4 ("Cycle 6") Stable versions, excluding the issues fixed in Service Release 0 and this Alpha Service Release 1 version using the following Bugzilla query:

• Xamarin 4 "Cycle 6" Bug List, excluding issues now fixed in Service Release 1

This list only includes bugs for which a fix has not yet been released as of the Alpha version of "Service Release 1." Fixes for issues that are marked "FIXED" but still appear on this list have not yet been released, but will be included in a future Service Release.

(More precisely, this query contains a list of all the bug numbers (both public and non-public) that are fixed in this Alpha version, and it subtracts that list from the "Service Release 0" list.)

Bug filing

If you find any new issues in this release compared to the current Stable versions or the previous "Xamarin 3" versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate, please do file a quick bug report, and then feel free to add a note on this thread with the bug number. Thanks!

You can install this new Alpha version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

Older versions

You can downgrade back to the previous Xamarin 3 Stable versions (from November 10) by manually reinstalling each old package. See the "Get the latest stable version of Xamarin 3" section on your account page: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#xamarin3. If you have any trouble downloading the previous versions from that link, would like to install an older set of versions, or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need, feel free to write to contact@xamarin.com.

Release info

Windows

Mac

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-2-cycle-6-service-release-1

See the first entry in the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

• [XamarinVS] The Cycle 6 builds of XamarinVS now require Visual Studio 2012 or higher. Following along with the end of Mainstream Support for Visual Studio 2010 by Microsoft, Cycle 6 is not compatible with VS 2010.

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [Xamarin Studio] [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] [Xamarin.Mac] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

EDIT Dec 10: Update XamarinVS and Xamarin.iOS versions for Xcode 7.2 compatibility.

@DerekBeattie.6675 said:
    The hang I experience seems to happen in Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.Services, AndroidToolsBuildService, RunMsBUildTarget.

bool flag = buildSubmission.Item2;

Seems to throw and cancel the build.

@BrendanZagaeski said:
    Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-2-cycle-6-service-release-1

Remaining known issues

See the "Known Issues" section on the Release Blog post.

Complete bug list

You can view the complete list of bug reports against the Xamarin 4 ("Cycle 6") Stable versions, excluding the issues fixed in Service Release 0 and this Alpha Service Release 1 version using the following Bugzilla query:

• Xamarin 4 "Cycle 6" Bug List, excluding issues now fixed in Service Release 1

This list only includes bugs for which a fix has not yet been released as of the Alpha version of "Service Release 1." Fixes for issues that are marked "FIXED" but still appear on this list have not yet been released, but will be included in a future Service Release.

(More precisely, this query contains a list of all the bug numbers (both public and non-public) that are fixed in this Alpha version, and it subtracts that list from the "Service Release 0" list.)

Bug filing

Older versions

Release info

Windows

Mac

Compatibility notes

I've been using the ALPHA for a while in iOS, with exception of one issue corrected by a custom build sent by @SebastienPouliot you have my vote to promote this to BETA and move towards getting this to stable soon.

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 Brad Chase USMember ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

@BrendanZagaeski fyi and maybe I read the release notes incorrectly but https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36080 is NOT fixed. Still same issue on Android. Any ideas on when we can expect this? We really need to upgrade from our old version here soon.

{System.Runtime.Serialization.InvalidDataContractException: Type 'System.ServiceModel.EndpointAddress10' does not have a static method 'GetSchema' that takes a parameter of type 'System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaSet' as specified by the XmlSchemaProviderAttribute attribute.

This works fine on all versions up to 3.11.1594.0. So again we have been stuck for a very long time.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

BradChase, I studied the release notes and the bug report, and from what I could tell it looks like Bug 36080 is currently marked correctly as under investigation, with a Bugzilla target milestone of "Cycle 6 – Service Release 2." So the hope is that a candidate fix can be included in the next service release.

I have now done some extra bookkeeping cleanup on the bug to help make sure that it has the best chance of being included in that next service release.

The timeline for "Service Release 2" is currently under planning. There should be more news about the timeline once "Service Release 1" is promoted to stable (tentatively within the next couple of weeks).

@BrendanZagaeski Ok thanks much! I appreciate you looking into it.

Sidenote, I guess I dont fully understand the bug lists when a release is put out in alpha as to whether it has been fixed internally for that alpha release or what stage the bug is currently in internally compared to an actual full release.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

In case it's helpful for future reference, as fas as I could see, none of the release notes mention Bug 36080. Additionally, the "Xamarin 4 'Cycle 6' Bug List" from the first post in the thread still contains Bug 36080.

edited January 2016

@BrendanZagaeski Correct, I saw that. I was considering the first post a release notes of sort. I saw the list included it and thought it was a fixed list not a fixed and todo list. It is possible I am just confused on the topic but what state should the bug be in in that list https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?release=C6 to be considered fixed for that release?

edited January 2016

This list only includes bugs for which a fix has not yet been released as of the Alpha version of "Service Release 1."

(emphasis added) :)

(I'll also adjust the wording about "subtracted" bugs in the next release announcement. Right now the structure of that sentence is a bit confusing. I think I can clean that up.)

@BrendanZagaeski Ahhh ok I gotcha now! hah thanks.

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/59591/beta-release-xamarin-4-cycle-6-service-release-1/p1

This discussion has been closed.