Forum Xamarin.Forms

Windows Phone Emulator without Hyper V?

batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I downloaded Xamarin Android Emulator which is perfect and works faster than other builtin emulators but it doesn't like Hyper V enabled. So I turned it off but then I want to run Window Phone Emulator, It asks me to enable Hyper V. This is a bit cumbersome, not? They both are under the same solution. I need to be able to switch between them. Is there anyway to run it both without switching Hyper V back and forth because Hyper V enable and disable also requires a restart.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@batmaci - what error does it give about HyperV there shouldn't be any issues with it. You can also use the Visual Studio 2015 Android Emulator if needed.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@AdamP said:
    @batmaci - what error does it give about HyperV there shouldn't be any issues with it. You can also use the Visual Studio 2015 Android Emulator if needed.

I turned off the Hyper V for android emulator performance as xamarin suggests but It is required for windows phone. on the other hand builtin visual studio android emulator is so slow. it take around 5 mins to deploy my project.

@batmaci - are you talking about the Android Emulator that you use with Visual Studio 2013? or the new VS 2015 Android Emulator that Microsoft provided as completely new in VS 2015? The old Android Emulator is horribly slow but the VS 2015 one is very quick. 5mins to deploy a project sounds like you are on the old one.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, VS 2015 emulator I am using with Android but If I dont turn off Hyper V, it is slow. you get this message attached and it is working slow but If I disable Hyper V, then Windows phone 8 emulator doesnt work. This is the conflict.

edited December 2015

@batmaci - that is the Xamarin Android Player, there is also the VS Android Emulator https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/features/msft-android-emulator-vs.aspx

Its confusing but there are 3.
    1 made by Google (Original Emulator) (slow and bad)
    1 made by Xamarin (Android Player) (fast, usable with Xamarin Studio and VS)
    1 made by Microsoft (VS Android Emulator) (fast, usable with Visual Studio)