Xamarin.iOS 9.3 preview #3 for tvOS and WatchOS 2.0 in Visual Studio

NinaVyedinNinaVyedin USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai
edited December 2015 in Prerelease & Betas

We're excited to announce our third preview in the Xamarin.iOS 9.3 series with tvOS and watchOS 2.0 support. Preview 3 introduces TV and Watch 2 support in Visual Studio. It is based on the same Xamarin.iOS as preview 2, but includes the basics needed to build and run TV and Watch 2 apps in Visual Studio.

Those previews are very early, unsupported builds to allow developers to test the new features and platforms recently announced by Apple and for Xamarin to gather feedback and bug reports. Your help is very much appreciated!

This preview does not currently include support for the Xamarin.iOS designer for tvOS or watchOS2.

Features:
* watchOS 2.0 on simulator (only)
* tvOS 9.0 GM on both simulator and devices

Requirements:
* Visual Studio (we tested with 2015) with Xamarin VS
* Xcode 7.1 and Xamarin.iOS installed on host Mac
* Apple Watch 2.0 simulator
* Apple TV simulator or Apple TV device

Links:
http://download.xamarin.com/tvOS-preview/Xamarin.VisualStudio_99.0.0.861.msi

Documentation:
https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/tvos/

Known issues:
[Xamarin.iOS] – watchOS 2 WatchKit Extension shouldn’t be an execution target.
[Xamarin.iOS] – watchOS 2 applications currently only work on simulator.
[Xamarin.iOS] – Bitcode support is not available for watchOS 2.0 device builds.
[Xamarin.iOS] – watchOS 2 debugging is supported only for default mode in watch simulator.
[Xamarin.iOS] – watchOS 2 and tvOS APIs are not final, some types might be missing or unavailable.
[Xamarin.iOS] – tvOS asset catalog editor is not fully implemented.
[Xamarin.VS] - This preview does not currently include support for the Xamarin.iOS designer for tvOS or watchOS 2.
[Xamarin.VS] - tvOS icon set in asset catalog may not show up in simulator.
[Xamarin.VS] - No binding project support for tvOS.
[Xamarin.VS] - BundleIdentifiers of Watch App Extension, Watch App and companion id have to be set manually.
[Xamairn.VS] - Watch App reference in iOS Project -> References has a yellow warning triangle; this can be ignored.
[Xamarin.VS] - Incremental builds are always turned off for tvOS apps.
[Xamarin.VS] - WatchOS2.0 template is missing asset catalog for icons and launch images.
[Xamarin.VS] - No Glance and Notification mode debugging support in WatchOS 2 applications.

Please report issues to Xamarin via bugzilla.xamarin.com. You can also ask questions in the forum below.

• SariLouisSariLouis USMember

Hi Nina,

I am sure you cannot officially state this, but I'm really just looking for an idea here: are there an timeline expectations you could hint at for a final release?

I'm about to start porting my app to iOS. I don't have the iOS app yet to start with, so that's going to take some time first before I get to the Watch part. But I'd still like to know if a final release is expected in a couple of months for example or not before the end of the year maybe. I'm willing to wait a little, but if there's no release in sight, I might as well start with porting to Xcode and Swift--I'm sure you can understand.

So, again, any indication would be helpful.

Thanks.

• Is the preview 3 also available for Mac OSX? I have a application built for TVOS but currently on hold due to compiler error in preview 2.

• Hi!

Same question, when can we expect a stable release of the xamarin tvOS SDK ?

• TonyFonagerTonyFonager DKInsider ✭✭

Yes, I would like to know the same ?

• KMullinsKMullins USXamarin Team Xamurai

All,

I would suggest keeping an eye on the Introduction to tvOS page, as any new releases will be made available from here as well as being posted in the forums.

• SariLouisSariLouis USMember

@KMullins said:
    All,

I would suggest keeping an eye on the Introduction to tvOS page, as any new releases will be made available from here as well as being posted in the forums.

Thanks Kevin, will keep an eye on it.

Any chance we can get just get some hint as to whether the expectation is to have final WatchOS 2 support in the coming few months? I'm wondering if there might be some technical limitations that might prevent Xamarin from working effectively on the Watch that don't seem likely to be solved anytime soon.

Thanks.

• is there any release date for tvOS?

• VincentJunemannVincentJunemann NLUniversity

Hello,

Recently Apple announced that it is not allowed to upload watch apps to the appstore unless they're build (natively) with WatchKitOS2.

Currently only WatchKitOS1 is officially supported by Xamarin. What is the roadmap for full support of WatchKitOS2 at this point and when is it supposed to be released officially.

Thank you for reply.

• VincentJunemannVincentJunemann NLUniversity

Anyone? :neutral: This is pretty important stuff I'd recon?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 2016

I'll copy a comment from another thread for cross-referencing here:

When will the WatchOS 2 supported?

I asked the team about this. Updating the watchOS 2 preview to add bitcode support is a high priority. It is among the top priorities the engineering team will be working on after this week's Evolve conference. Apple's recent announcement that watchOS 2 will be required for all new watchOS app submissions starting in June is definitely on the minds of the engineering team.

The hope is that a preview with bitcode support can be made available by the end of May, but the team is still wary of any unanticipated complications that could change that timeline.

To add one extra bit of information to that, Miguel shared some comments about bitcode support during a recent interview with The Register.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

To finish up this particular announcement:

This thread will now be closed to direct all further updates onto the latest preview announcement for iOS 10, tvOS 10, and watchOS 2 and 3:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/71517/xamarin-ios-9-99-0-preview-for-ios-10-tvos-10-and-watchos-3/p1

This discussion has been closed.