Stable Release: Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 – Service Release 0

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited December 2015 in General

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-6-service-release-0/

This is a small bugfix release. It addresses a first handful of the more severe or commonly reported issues from the Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 Feature Release. See the Release Blog post for details.

Remaining known issues

An additional Service Release is tentatively planned for Alpha release within the next few weeks. It will include fixes for several other regressions introduced by the Cycle 6 Feature Release.

Most widely reported remaining known issues

• [Xamarin.VS (36185)] – Hang (GUI lockup, freeze) when opening or working on a solution that contains an Android project. Candidate fix now included in the 4.0.0.1712 Stable hotfix release. (Old temporary workaround: delete the hidden .suo file or .vs folder in the solution directory.)

Complete bug list

You can view the complete list of new bug reports against the Xamarin 4 ("Cycle 6") Stable versions, excluding the issues fixed in Service Release 0 using the following Bugzilla query:

Bug filing

If you find any new issues in this release compared to the previous "Xamarin 4" (November 17) or "Xamarin 3" (November 10) Stable versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate, please do file a quick bug report, and then feel free to add a note on this thread with the bug number. Thanks!

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the previous Xamarin 4 Stable version (from November 17) by manually reinstalling each old package. See the KB article on downgrading. If you have a Trial or Starter subscription (or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need), feel free to write to contact@xamarin.com to request the older versions.

Older versions

To downgrade to the Xamarin 3 Stable versions (from November 10) see the "Get the latest stable version of Xamarin 3" section on your account page: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#xamarin3. If you have any trouble downloading the previous versions from that link, would like to install an older set of versions, or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need, feel free to write to contact@xamarin.com.

Release info

Windows

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.0.1697.msi (deffc90)
  • Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.0.1712.msi (cdc0365) Hotfix

Mac

• XamarinStudio-5.10.1.3.dmg (f2021a2)
  • XamarinStudio-5.10.1.6.dmg (0b60eec) (This is an update for Mac only) Hotfix
  • monotouch-9.2.1.54.pkg (eb4c1ef) Release Notes

Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-6-service-release-0

See the first entry in the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

(These are the same as for the initial Cycle 6 Feature Release.)

• [XamarinVS] The Cycle 6 builds of XamarinVS now require Visual Studio 2012 or higher. Following along with the end of Mainstream Support for Visual Studio 2010 by Microsoft, Cycle 6 is not compatible with VS 2010.

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [Xamarin Studio] [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] [Xamarin.Mac] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

EDIT Dec 03: Reorganize the post slightly.
EDIT Dec 07: Update version numbers for iPad Pro and VS hang hotfix.
EDIT Dec 08: Correct wording of downgrade instructions.

• I'm running an iOS app in VS. Debug log shows:

Start debugging Android application ...
    Starting Android application ...
    Android application is running (debug is disabled in android project properties).
    Start debugging Android application ...
    Starting Android application ...
    Android application is running (debug is disabled in android project properties).
    Launching 'LightsOutMobileXiOS' on 'iPad3 von Martin Rothschink'...
    Launched 'LightsOutMobileXiOS' successfully on 'iPad3 von Martin Rothschink'...

• @BrendanZagaeski I get the famous "ERROR ITMS-90047: "Disallowed paths ( "iTunesArtwork" ) found at: LightsOutMobileXiO-2413.ipa" if I create an Ad-Hoc build in VS with excluded artwork (was working in 3.x).

Is this a known issue, I have not found a bug report?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I get the famous "ERROR ITMS-90047: "Disallowed paths ( "iTunesArtwork" )

Is this a known issue, I have not found a bug report?

@MartinRothschink, thanks for the question. This is indeed a known issue. The corresponding bug report can be a little tricky to find [1]: Bug 36238. That particular bug mostly talks about Xamarin Studio, but the workarounds will work on Windows too (and the bug report also briefly mentions the current status of the problem in Visual Studio).

Fortunately, the workaround is fairly simple: change the IpaIncludeArtwork property to False by hand in the .csproj file (see the bug report for a few more details).

[1] The bug report and the known issues on the Release Blog post only mention this error in relation to "iTunesMetadata.plist", but the same underlying problem also causes the error message about "iTunesArtwork".

• @BrendanZagaeski thanks for the link. Indeed I assumed it only affects Xamarin Studio. I will try the workaround.

• I had a look at the report. It only talks about Xamarin Studio, very hard to find....

I have now filed an additional public bug against Visual Studio to make the issue more easily findable in that context: Bug 36543.

• Adam.HillAdam.Hill USMember

System: Mac with Parallels 11 running Win10 Guest with Visual Studio 2015 Update 1.

Installed RC0 on both sides. Created the default Xamarin Forms app.

Built fine in Visual Studio for Android, but when switched to iOS complained about network shares not being supported for iOS builds.

Q1: Will this be supported in a later release? Being able to run from a UNC share via Parallels folder sharing (its just the default /Documents path) is kinda important for multi-platorm apps when we need to run things like the Profiler and Inspectior on the Mac side to get all their functionality.

Moved test project to a local directory. Built in VS. Ran in simulator. I did notice the Build windows did not update progress as it built, it just plopped out all the steps at the end.

Went to Mac side. Opened up Xamarin Studio. Loaded .sln from the Parallels mount point created for the Windows 10 VM (not a UNC shared, but a mounted Mac visible filesystem) got the following error in Xam Studio after compiling a bit.

"/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/iOS/Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets: Error: Could not load Info.plist: Must specify valid information for parsing in the string. (Xamarin_XAML.iOS)"

When I click on the error it takes me to - "/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/9.2.1.54/lib/mono/2.1/Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets"

Any ideas on getting it to build on the Mac side, need any more info?

SSH Build seems to be a lot more stable. Thanks!

• RasmusChristensenRasmusChristensen DKUniversity ✭✭

Hmm I got the error "Unable to attach disk image" when trying to apply latest Xamarin Studio update 5.10.1.6 anyone?

• CherubyxCherubyx CAUniversity ✭✭

@RasmusChristensen said:
    Hmm I got the error "Unable to attach disk image" when trying to apply latest Xamarin Studio update 5.10.1.6 anyone?

Same here.

@RasmusChristensen, @TiffanyIp, thanks for the heads-up! I've notified the release management team. It should be resolved soon.

• RasmusChristensenRasmusChristensen DKUniversity ✭✭
    edited December 2015

@BrendanZagaeski , @TiffanyIp,The Update as of today works!

• EvgeniyZverevEvgeniyZverev USMember ✭✭

Filed a bug concerning breakpoints not working.
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36789

Appears to be the Xamarin.iOS.Common.After.targets issue.

This discussion has been closed.