Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

san francisco font

I'm relatively new to mobile app development and right now I'm trying to change the current font for a label in my xaml to iOS's relatively new San Francisco font. I've tried using FontFamily="SF" and FontFamily="San Francisco" on my labels to see if it would work but no so far nothing has changed. If someone could post a quick example of using the font it would be greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• WindermereWindermere CAMember

I was under the impression that it was a font that was already built-in. I didn't realize that I should've been treating it as a custom font.

Thank you!

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@Windermere It is the default system font on iOS 9+. Which version of iOS are you testing with?

• StermsSterms Member
    edited February 2018

If anyone stumbles upon this, I was able to get San Francisco to work via Xaml like so:

<OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="x:String" x:Key="BoldFontFamily" Android="sans-serif" iOS=".SFUIText-Bold"/>
    <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="x:String" x:Key="ThinFontFamily" Android="sans-serif-thin" iOS=".SFUIText-Light"/>
    <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="x:String" x:Key="DefaultFontFamily" Android="sans-serif" iOS=".SFUIText"/>

I looked at the meta-data returned by UIFont.SystemFontOfSize() for what the application refers to SF as.

• mjromkamjromka Member ✭✭

.SFUIText-* (also tested with .SFUI-*) do not work on iOS 13 anymore. I updated Xamarin to the latest version.
    Any suggestions?

• rcoconnorrcoconnor Member ✭✭

@mjromka said:
    .SFUIText-* (also tested with .SFUI-*) do not work on iOS 13 anymore. I updated Xamarin to the latest version.
    Any suggestions?

@mjromka I'm running into the same issue.. have you found a solution or a resource you could point me towards?

• rcoconnorrcoconnor Member ✭✭

UIStringAttributes fontName = new UIStringAttributes(); //Grabbing correct font after iOS 13 update fontName.Font = UIKit.UIFont.PreferredBody; var fontSize = Element.FontSize; string tableStyle = "table{color:white}"; string aStyle = "a{color:grey}"; string htmlContents = $"<span style=\"font-family:'{fontName.Font.FamilyName}'; color:{textColor}; font-size:{fontSize}\"><style>{tableStyle}</style><style>{aStyle}</style>{Element.Text}</span>";

Using UIStringAttributes then grabbing the FamilyName gave me the sans serif font I was after.