ListView is slow to load, any performance guidelines?

Hi I am using a basic Listview in forms with hard coded data in a list. When navigating to the page which contains the listview, it takes a nice 1-2 seconds to load. Any specific reason why this is happening?

Code:

protected override void OnAppearing ()
        {
            base.OnAppearing ();
            //Get Menuitems for current menu
            MenuListViewModel.MenuItems= Task.Run (async () => await UCommerceServices.GetMenuItemsForCategory(MenuListViewModel.ParentId)).Result;
            foreach (var menuItem in MenuListViewModel.MenuItems) {
                menuItems.Add (menuItem);
            }
            activityIndicator.IsVisible = false;
        }

View:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ContentPage xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml" x:Class="Pizza4U.MenuListPage">
    <ContentPage.Content>
     <Grid VerticalOptions="FillAndExpand" HorizontalOptions="FillAndExpand">
        <ListView x:Name="listView">
            <ListView.ItemTemplate>
                <DataTemplate>
                    <ViewCell>
                        <StackLayout BackgroundColor="#eee" Orientation="Vertical">
                            <StackLayout Orientation="Horizontal">
                                <Image Source="{Binding ImageUrl}" />
                                <Label Text="{Binding Title}" TextColor="#f35e20" />
                                <Label Text="{Binding Description}" HorizontalOptions="EndAndExpand" TextColor="#503026" />
                            </StackLayout>
                        </StackLayout>
                    </ViewCell>
                </DataTemplate>
            </ListView.ItemTemplate>
        </ListView>
          <ActivityIndicator IsVisible="true" IsRunning="true"
            VerticalOptions="FillAndExpand" HorizontalOptions="FillAndExpand" x:Name="activityIndicator" />
        </Grid>
    </ContentPage.Content>
</ContentPage>

Note that the GetMenuItemsForCategory is retrieving a list which is currently hardcoded.

Thanks for your assistance.

Shaun

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey GBMember ✭✭✭

ListView is rubbish.

However, the new release could help:
    Try using ListViewCachingStrategy.RecycleElement as explained somewhere here http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/56040/xamarin-forms-2-0-0-released/p1

If that doesn't work, then use a custom renderer for the cells which is explained in the documentation. It explains how to write a custom renderer for the cells or for the whole ListView, it's better to write a renderer for the cells only.

When I had to do this, I couldn't even write a custom renderer for the cells because of some bugs in Xamarin which I reported and have no idea if it was fixed or not:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/43051/strange-error-happens-when-saving-a-custom-renderer-object-to-a-java-object#latest
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/42728/android-bug-1-4-3-6358-pre2-oncellpropertychanged-not-called-for-the-first-visible-cells#latest

I really should have posted that to Bugzilla instead... But then, even that doesn't help sometimes like in the case of this horrible bug:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=35657
    which have been there for like 3 weeks now and no one gives a shit despite providing a sample project as requested.

So, in my case I had to write a custom renderer for the layout that's used by the cells.

Sorry for going off topic, I hope that helped.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@ShaunGrech

If your don't mind paying for custom controls then Telerik's RadListview has good performance and a lot of nice features that would be real a headache in the free version. We've moved to that and seen much better performance.

• JulienRosenJulienRosen CAMember ✭✭✭✭

how many items are you showing?

• ShaunGrechShaunGrech USMember ✭✭

I am replicating the code from the XamarinCRM app which I consider to be the gold standard. The images loaded in the XamarinCRM app are quite big (1600X1333). My images are similar (maybe slightly bigger in size). I have implemented an independent loader for the images, but when I navigate away from the list and navigate back, the list takes a nice 2 seconds to re-appear (even though the images have now been loaded already).

I do not want to purchase external tools atm as I'm on a budget and I was under the impression that using a list is the recommended approach.

Thanks for the help guys.

Shaun

The CRM app doesn't load more then a handful of items at a time. Again, how many items are you loading?

At the moment I am loading around 6 items which is approximately the same as the CRM application. I realised that my images are slightly bigger than the CRM's. I also noticed that on Android I run into a memory exception stating that I am utilising too much memory.

Is there a way how you can avoid running into a memory exception in Xamarin Forms? I am loading images from an API and sometimes the images might be a bit too big but it seems like I'm running into outofmemory exceptions way to often.

Thanks guys,
    Shaun

edited December 2015

You really need to investigate the image sizes and scale them down to a resolution that makes sense for mobile. You should also attempt just removing the images temporarily and see if the issue persists. I am loading hundreds of items in a listview with no memory issues, and I'm sure you can see that the CRM app does not suffer from anything like that.

Yes in fact I noticed that the images used in the XamarinCRM app are slightly smaller than mine. I am also running into a number of memory exceptions on Android simply because I am using a background image. I will look into some Image resize tools as I am retrieving my images through an API.

Thanks for the help guys
    Shaun