Inspector - can someone explain the 3d view?

[I'm on iOS]

So the 3d view doesn't make any sense to me. What's it trying to tell me? I've got stacks slices of views displayed, but I can't figure out why the Inspector has decided that different views belong on different slices. And then on some of the slices, views are displayed with very different sizes. Is there an explanation of what's going on somewhere?

Also, can someone talk about how this works with constraints? Since modifying constraints is going to be the main way of interacting with this, seems like they have to be a major player in the UI. Having a left-hand tree of just views doesn't seem all that useful.

Answers

• GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭

the live coding is good; but the 3d view is honestly about a week of work - it's so early yet that I have no idea why they released it, other than the screenshot that makes it look way more finished than it is.

Shame - I was very excited with the announcement; but after downloading it, concluded it's fairly useless : it's so unfinished that you can't even reasonably control the 3d view : it pans in all directions like some messed up iphone game.

So you'll have to wait a few months for it to become more useful for view debugging. I'll likely end up building something myself if I don't see any traction with this project by January - it's not particularly hard to do (the 3d part - the REPL bit is excellent, and not easy to do at all : hats off to Xamarin for that bit).

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

The 3D view is a work in progress. We included it in this early preview because we thought it was fun to play with. Long-term, it should evolve into something more useful like you see with Reveal.app, etc.

Certainly, for iOS and Mac, constraints will need to be taken into account.

• Jonathan_MoosekianJonathan_Moosekian USUniversity ✭✭

I like the 3D view. It's helped me diagnose view bugs more easily than without it. One thing I would like to see is the ability to hide some of the slices, but I've been learning to work with it.

Great job, guys!