Visual Studio freezes when loading a Xamarin project

LinusNeumanLinusNeuman SEMember
edited November 2015 in Visual Studio

I think it may be due to the fact that I installed an old version of Xamarin, and then got my new license and installed the newest one. Should I reinstall Xamarin maybe? I really want to start coding after getting my new license :)

If you need more clues just answer and I'll be quick to answer!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the paths in the Visual Studio settings are correctly set and already were, I have checked and the data is there (NDK, JDK, etc)
The registries are dumb it seems.

• PhilipGruebelePhilipGruebele USMember ✭✭

you can try disabling extensions like Resharper to see if those are causing the problem.

• ShaneNeuvilleShaneNeuville USUniversity ✭✭

I have the exact same issue after upgrading to the latest Xamarin bits :-/ I don't have any glamorous extensions installed. My VS 2015 Ultimate is fairly vanilla and it just locks up when loading my forms project in VS.... It seems to load all the projects but then it's just stuck with a Loading..... on the SLN.... I've left it on over night and it never loads up. My Xam Diagnostics output looks pretty much the same as yours

• ShaneNeuvilleShaneNeuville USUniversity ✭✭
    edited November 2015

looks like it's a known problem
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/56013/upgrade-to-xamarin-4-brings-vs2015-problems

Deleting all the .suo files seems to clear it up for the time being

• LinusNeumanLinusNeuman SEMember

@ShaneNeuville said:
    looks like it's a known problem
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/56013/upgrade-to-xamarin-4-brings-vs2015-problems

Deleting all the .suo files seems to clear it up for the time being

What does the .suo do exactly? Is it user settings for the solution or something? I just want to be sure that I know what it is before deleting it.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 2015

What does the .suo do exactly? Is it user settings for the solution or something?

Yes, the .suo file is precisely that: the user settings for the solution. For a few examples: it stores breakpoints, the active solution configuration (for example "Debug|iPhoneSimulator"), the "StartUp Project," and the expanded vs. collapsed display status of folders in the Solution Explorer.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 2017

The hanging / freezing behavior discussed in this forum thread is now being tracked by the following bug report:

I will close this thread to consolidate any further discussion onto that bug report. Feel free to post any further findings about improved or more detailed workarounds on the bug report to make them visible to other users.

If anyone hits a hang after upgrading to Xamarin 4 where the call stack of the Main Thread (collected as described under "How to diagnose" on Bug 36185, Comment 1) does not include "GetAdditionalResourcesFromAssemblies", please do file a new bug report against Xamarin 4 "Cycle 6 Stable" and attach your Main Thread call stack.

See also the Xamarin 4 Release Announcement for information about other known issues in the latest release, including a link to the full "Xamarin 4 Bug List." (That list now includes the bug from this thread: Bug 36185.)

(As always, I'm also happy to reopen the thread upon request within the next month or two. Just send a quick email to [email protected] with a link to this thread. For follow-up after the next couple of months, if the remaining related open bug reports or forum threads do not cover the desired scenario, please follow the recommendations to create a new bug report, forum thread, or Stack Overflow question. Thanks!)

This discussion has been closed.