VS2015 hangs after Xamarin 4.0 installation

Installed Xamarin 4.0, VS2015 hangs after loading solution with Android & UWP projects. There's a notification "Microsoft Visual Studio is waiting for internal operation to complete."

Answers

• I'm getting this as well. Appears to happen after the projects have loaded (PCL, Android, iOS in my case). Solution still says "loading..." in the Solution Explorer.

I've killed and restarted a few times. Hangs more often than it works.

• JohnDBJohnDB USMember ✭✭

@IvanS said:
    Removed hidden folder .vs from solution folder and now everything works fine

This worked for me too, thanks IvanS.

• Same for me.

But this happens frequently to me.

I have to delete these folders on every Visual Studio restart, very annoying.

• AhmedAlejoAhmedAlejo USMember ✭✭

@IvanS said:
    Removed hidden folder .vs from solution folder and now everything works fine

Life saver.> @BastiBrauning said:

Same for me.

But this happens frequently to me.

I have to delete these folders on every Visual Studio restart, very annoying.

same here

• DavidSpeakDavidSpeak GBUniversity ✭✭

Until they fix it I start VS2015 from a batch file so I don't have to remember to clear the directories ... saves a bit of time :smile:

cd C:\Dev\Marabunta_Agile
    rmdir /s /q Marabunta.XF.Common\bin
    rmdir /s /q Marabunta.XF.Common\obj
    rmdir /s /q Marabunta.XF.Client\bin
    rmdir /s /q Marabunta.XF.Client\obj
    rmdir /s /q Marabunta.XF.Service\bin
    rmdir /s /q Marabunta.XF.Service\obj
    rmdir /s /q .vs

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\"
    devenv.exe

• JohnDBJohnDB USMember ✭✭

I'm getting the same problem and have worked around it in a similar way to @Marabunta, though I only had to delete the .vs folder.

• CarelLotzCarelLotz ZAMember ✭✭

Does anybody know if this has been logged as a bug? A bugzilla reference so that we can track progress on it would be great.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 2017

The hanging / freezing behavior discussed in this forum thread is now being tracked by the following bug report:

I will close this thread to consolidate any further discussion onto that bug report. Feel free to post any further findings about improved or more detailed workarounds on the bug report to make them visible to other users.

If anyone hits a hang after upgrading to Xamarin 4 where the call stack of the Main Thread (collected as described under "How to diagnose" on Bug 36185, Comment 1) does not include "GetAdditionalResourcesFromAssemblies", please do file a new bug report against Xamarin 4 "Cycle 6 Stable" and attach your Main Thread call stack.

See also the Xamarin 4 Release Announcement for information about other known issues in the latest release, including a link to the full "Xamarin 4 Bug List." (That list now includes the bug from this thread: Bug 36185.)

(As always, I'm also happy to reopen the thread upon request within the next month or two. Just send a quick email to [email protected] with a link to this thread. For follow-up after the next couple of months, if the remaining related open bug reports or forum threads do not cover the desired scenario, please follow the recommendations to create a new bug report, forum thread, or Stack Overflow question. Thanks!)

This discussion has been closed.