Xamarin 5.10 XIB Support?

MMountainMMountain USMember ✭✭

I updated to 5.10. I thought that xib editing was supported in this release. When I try to edit a xib, I get "This File Format is not supported". Launch screens work fine.

The release notes say this:

"Full Xib and Xib Splash Screen support"

"We're pretty excited to finally ship full support for Xib files in this release. You can edit and interact with xib files just like you already could with storyboard files. This includes full support for designing xib splash screens."

• EbenKrapfl.6860EbenKrapfl.6860 USMember ✭✭

I am also having the same issue. Any xib file I try to open gives the message "This file format is not supported". :(

• MMountainMMountain USMember ✭✭

I find that if you create a new viewController with xib, that file will open in the Xamarin editor. For some reason it won't open existing xib's. Frustrating...

• AlanMcGovernAlanMcGovern USXamarin Team Xamurai

Can either of you share a copy of the xib file causing the issues? It must be a corner case we missed in the xib detection code as both old style (xcode 4) and new style (xcode 5 and newer) xibs open for me.

@AlanMcGovern said:
    Can either of you share a copy of the xib file causing the issues? It must be a corner case we missed in the xib detection code as both old style (xcode 4) and new style (xcode 5 and newer) xibs open for me.

Hey Alan - Here's a xib that won't open. This is a simple login form created about a few months ago. Not sure what version Xamarin/Xcode was on back then.

It wouldn't let me attach a xib. I will try to zip it and attach it here.

• AlanMcGovernAlanMcGovern USXamarin Team Xamurai

We've just fixed that issue internally and it should be part of the next point release.

In the meantime there is one workaround you can try. If you open the xib file as a text document you'll see this in the first line:

type="com.apple.InterfaceBuilder3.CocoaTouch.iPad.XIB"

If you remove the '.iPad' component from the type, it should open and render as expected in Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio. Some versions of xcode insert '.iPad' into the type in addition to setting 'targetRuntime="iPad"'. The files we were using for testing only had type="com.apple.InterfaceBuilder3.CocoaTouch.XIB" so we missed that case.

Thanks for the report!

• EbenKrapfl.6860EbenKrapfl.6860 USMember ✭✭

That was it for me as well. Thanks!

That work for me too, thanks! It's so nice now to not have to leave Xamarin and go into Xcode.