Stable Release: Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 Feature Release

2»

• BenLevy.4265BenLevy.4265 USMember ✭✭

Well gave it a try!!

I let my license expire due to all the usability / quality issues with Xamarin. The Xamarin Customer Success Engineer (Brian Keene) convinced me to give the Xamarin 4 release a try.

Sure enough. It is broken.

Was able to build and run on my Mac iOS simulator, but as soon as I touched anything in the Storyboard editor, half of my views disappeared.

Sure is too bad. I had hopes for this product.

• GaryLoweGaryLowe USMember

There is an issue consuming web services in the latest version
    Not just me having the same issue apparently

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/56108/no-event-information-when-adding-web-reference#latest

• PhilipGruebelePhilipGruebele USMember ✭✭

Just filed this bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36207 which is a show stopper for me.

• PhilipGruebelePhilipGruebele USMember ✭✭

Another major bug filed here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=35858

I cannot really use XF VS since it's not really possible to debug properly.

• BerayBentesenBerayBentesen TRUniversity ✭✭✭✭

I am facing with debugging problem too. After installing application in debug mod it works well but when I try to debug one more time, activity does not installing and application freezes. I tried on Nexus 5 with 6.0 and some devices with 5.0+. Release mod works well but does not solve problem at all.

• Kirill.ShlenskiyKirill.Shlenskiy AUMember
    edited November 2015

Glad you guys are enjoying your "Xamarin 4 parties in December" (as per the news feed in Xamarin Studio).

Meanwhile I can't build with Xamarin.VS using a domain account to connect to the Mac (the initial connection is successful, icon in Visual Studio turns green, then I get the "The application needs to be rebuilt due to an inconsistency between ..." message on build).

I can build fine using a local Mac admin account, but that means having to migrate all certificates and provisioning profiles (possibly other user-specific settings too) to another Mac account.

• JonathanDibbleJonathanDibble GBMember ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Xamarin Studio Most Menu Options Disabled

I am using the latest Xamarin Studio on El Capitan, and from time to time after running the app I am developing, most of the menu options become disabled when I return to the source code. I am unable to do any meaningful work. I have to ForceQuit XS and then reload. Not great when you're debugging, really destroys the thought processes.
    I will just ForceQuit XS and then I can reload it, and select about so I can give this post some version info.
    So very frustrating.

Xamarin Studio
    Version 5.10 (build 871)

Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 9.2.1.51 (Business Edition)

Xamarin.Android
    Version: 6.0.0.34 (Business Edition)

I posted this as a topic in its own right, but as no-one from Xamarin has commented on it, I though I should post it here too. forums.xamarin.com/discussion/56181/xamarin-studio-most-menu-options-disabled

• NuninzNuninz USMember ✭✭

Hi,

I have an app that has a feature to download multiple files. That code uses a lot async await and every time a download finishes I'll download the next one(await Task.Run(()=> DownloadFile). I can only test on iOS for now.

What's happening is that the task simply stops running. No exception, nothing. I've added a lot of debug but it's like..the task is paused. I have a button to stop and resume, which cancels the current task and resumes downloading. That seems to run the task again for a while until it stops. This is only happening since Xamarin 4. I've reverted to Xamarin Studio 5.9.8/Monotouch 9.0.1.18 and it's running fine again.

Unfortunately I cannot post this code, but I'll try to see if I can reproduce this bug by creating a similar scenario. I was wondering if any other bugs were found regarding Tasks.

• There is an issue in the latest Xamarin.Mac (2.4.0.109) release.
    It is impossible to use classes from System.Diagnostics any more. In both debug and release builds the following exception is thrown:
    Default constructor not found for type System.Diagnostics.FilterElement

Also if the following line is specified in the "Additional mmp arguments" on the Mac Build settings page:
    --linkskip=System.ComponentModel.Composition --linkskip=System.Configuration --linkskip=System.Xml

The following error occurs during build:
    error MM2001: Could not link assemblies. Reason: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the additional reports all,

• BenLevy, thanks for the additional results and troubleshooting with Alan in the separate related forum discussion.

• PhilipGruebele, thanks for the bug reports.

• GaryLowe, thanks for the corresponding bug report: Bug 36276.

• BerayBentesen, thanks for the corresponding bug report: non-public Bug 36344.

• Kirill.Shlenskiy, logging in via a "domain account" sounds like a good additional scenario for the XamarinVS and QA teams to investigate and test. I found no existing bugs that contain the string "domain account". If you get a chance, please do file a quick bug report about that observation. The initial report can be as simple as copy-pasting your forum comment verbatim into the long description.

• JonathanDibble, so far the closest match I've found is Bug 34250. If you suspect the issue you are seeing is different from that bug, please do file an additional quick bug report. The initial report can be as simple as copy-pasting your forum comment verbatim into the long description.

• FedirNepyivoda, I searched Bugzilla for any existing matching bugs, but I didn't find any, so if you get a chance please do file a quick bug report. The initial report can be as simple as copy-pasting your forum comment verbatim into the long description. Of course, if it's not too much trouble to attach a small sample project that demonstrates the problem on the bug report, that would be excellent too and it might save some back-and-forth, but no worries if not.

Thanks again!

• OlegIlyinOlegIlyin USMember

@BrendanZagaeski, again on breakpoints issue. I noticed in build logs there is following warnings:
    The target "_ConvertPdbFiles" listed in a BeforeTargets attribute at "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Xamarin.Common.targets (34,37)" does not exist in the project, and will be ignored.
    The target "_CollectPdbFiles" listed in an AfterTargets attribute at "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Xamarin.Common.targets (34,70)" does not exist in the project, and will be ignored.
    The target "_CollectMdbFiles" listed in a BeforeTargets attribute at "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Xamarin.Common.targets (40,38)" does not exist in the project, and will be ignored.
    The target "_CopyMdbFiles" listed in an AfterTargets attribute at "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Xamarin.Common.targets (40,71)" does not exist in the project, and will be ignored.

May it be the case? I checked build logs with latest 3.x version, there is no such warnings there.

• With the latest Xamarin 4.0 we are also seeing these warnings in build log while building solution with MSBuild 12.0:

ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
      Building solution configuration "Debug|Any CPU".
    The target "_ConvertPdbFiles" listed in a BeforeTargets attribute at "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Xamarin.Common.targets (34,37)" does not exist in the project, and will be ignored.
    The target "_CollectPdbFiles" listed in an AfterTargets attribute at "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Xamarin.Common.targets (34,70)" does not exist in the project, and will be ignored.
    The target "_CollectMdbFiles" listed in a BeforeTargets attribute at "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Xamarin.Common.targets (40,38)" does not exist in the project, and will be ignored.
    The target "_CopyMdbFiles" listed in an AfterTargets attribute at "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\Xamarin.Common.targets (40,71)" does not exist in the project, and will be ignored.

• Support.7523Support.7523 USMember ✭✭

Completely broken release once again.

Create a new app. Debug. Broke.

Latest SDK, build tools etc..

Following is from a GenyMotion Nexus 9. Previous Nov 17 release worked.

Forwarding debugger port 8812
    Detecting existing process
    [art] Late-enabling -Xcheck:jni
    [monodroid] Using override path: /data/data/App1.App1/files/.override
    [monodroid] Using override path: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/App1.App1/files/.override
    [monodroid] Trying to load sgen from: /data/data/App1.App1/files/.override/libmonosgen-2.0.so
    [monodroid] Trying to load sgen from: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/App1.App1/files/.override/libmonosgen-2.0.so
    [monodroid] Trying to load sgen from: /data/app/App1.App1-1/lib/x86/libmonosgen-2.0.so
    [monodroid] Trying to load sgen from: /data/data/App1.App1/files/.override/links/libmonosgen-2.0.so
    [monodroid-debug] Trying to initialize the debugger with options: --debugger-agent=transport=dt_socket,loglevel=0,address=127.0.0.1:8812,server=y,embedding=1
    [Mono] Assembly Loader probing location: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/App1.App1/files/.override/mscorlib.dll'.
    [Mono] AOT module '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/App1.App1/files/.override/mscorlib.dll.so' not found: dlopen failed: library "/data/app/App1.App1-1/lib/x86/libaot-mscorlib.dll.so" not found
    [Mono] AOT module '/Users/builder/data/lanes/2098/3efa14c4/source/monodroid/builds/install/mono-x86/lib/mono/aot-cache/x86/mscorlib.dll.so' not found: dlopen failed: library "/data/app/App1.App1-1/lib/x86/libaot-mscorlib.dll.so" not found
    [Mono] Assembly Loader loaded assembly from location: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/App1.App1/files/.override/mscorlib.dll'.
    [Mono] Config attempting to parse: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/App1.App1/files/.override/mscorlib.dll.config'.
    [Mono] Config attempting to parse: '/Users/builder/data/lanes/2098/3efa14c4/source/monodroid/builds/install/mono-x86/etc/mono/assemblies/mscorlib/mscorlib.config'.
    [] * Assertion at /Users/builder/data/lanes/2098/3efa14c4/source/mono/mono/metadata/class.c:5078, condition `class' not met
    [libc] Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -6 in tid 4565 (App1.App1)

Support.7523,

class.c:5078, condition `class' not met

Please see Bug 36514. In short you will need to manually uninstall the app from the emulator and then re-deploy it. This is an edge case with left-over files when using the "fast deployment" feature with Visual Studio. It will be addressed in a future service release.

• I'm currently having some issues with the Mac Agent.

I'm running Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 10 through VMWare Fusion on my Mac. Since upgrading to Xamarin 4.x, I've been consistently unable to build while connected to the Mac Agent. I was previously able to connect through the Build Host, and was able to build/debug my solution with the iOS Simulator on the Mac side. After the update to Xamarin 4, I am able to connect to my Mac Agent through Visual Studio (connected with full support according to Xamarin output), but when building any iOS project, I'm notified that the project was built while disconnected from the Mac agent.

Starting Broker 4.0.0.1697 in port 57506...
    SSH Connection established with the Mac 10.10.6.115:22:57506
    Starting agents on Mac Andrews-MacBook-Pro.local (10.10.6.115)
    Activating the Mac...
    Starting Agent IDB 4.0.0.1697...
    Connected to the Mac Andrews-MacBook-Pro.local (10.10.6.115) with Limited support.
    Agent IDB 4.0.0.1697 is running
    Starting Agent Build 4.0.0.1697...
    Agent Build 4.0.0.1697 is running
    Starting Agent Designer 4.0.0.1697...
    Agent Designer 4.0.0.1697 is running
    Connected to the Mac Andrews-MacBook-Pro.local (10.10.6.115) with Full support.
    The project SolutionNameiOS was built while disconnected from a Mac agent, so only the main assembly was compiled. Connect to a Xamarin Mac build agent to build the full application.

There is a similar post earlier in this thread, but it appears that user had a Trial license. I currently hold a Business license for Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS, so that shouldn't be a problem. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

@OlegIlyin and @FeodorFitsner, I searched Bugzilla for any existing matching reports about those warning messages, and I didn't find any, so if either of you gets a chance please do file a quick bug report. The initial report can be as simple as copy-pasting your forum comment verbatim into the long description. Thanks in advance!

• To add to my above post, I get these warnings in the Build Output:

Connecting to Mac server 10.10.6.115...
    2>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Windows.After.targets(54,5): warning : Could not authenticate the user using the existing ssh keys
    2>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Windows.After.targets(54,5): warning VSXRunBuildLocally: The project ZTCustomeriOS was built while disconnected from a Mac agent, so only the main assembly was compiled. Connect to a Xamarin Mac build agent to build the full application.

Full logs attached as well.

@AndrewSteinbach, if you haven't already, I would recommend starting a "Business & Enterprise Support" email support case for one-on-one troubleshooting of the issue you're seeing.

• EvgeniyZverevEvgeniyZverev USMember ✭✭

Filed a bug concerning Xamarin.Android.
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36710

Problem with DataContractSerializer. It cannot serialize a dictionary in release build.

• @BrendanZagaeski said:
    @JasonBSteele, one little test you can try is to quit VS, then delete the hidden .vs folder in the top level of the solution directory (you'll need to set Explorer to show hidden files to be able to see the folder), and then try opening the solution again.

There's an issues the XamarinVS team is investigating where it seems that Visual Studio 2015 itself has an issue that causes it to hang in certain cases depending on the contents of the .vs folder. It seems this problematic behavior is triggered more often by Xamarin 4 compared to the previous Xamarin 3 ("Cycle 5") versions.

This is correct.Now it is fixed.But you need not quit Visualstudio.Just delete ".vs" hidden folder.

• bradleybertholdbradleyberthold USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2015

Hi,

does switching to Xamarin 4/ Xamarin.android 6 , break old binary compatibility with components that were compiled with Xamarin 3.11? Do I have to recompile everything?

We have a project that consists of about 4 different overall projects. A,B,C,D. Project B depends on compile binaries from Project A (uses them as references) - as Android library projects (C#)

I found last night that if I switched Project A and B to Xamarin 4.0, Project A seems to run fine , but Project B gives me some strange exceptions I've never seen before. Basically when I try to assign more than one event handler to a multicast delegate, it will throw an exception, and when I look at the delegate object it has all nulls in it (in Method, and target), which doesn't happen in Xamarin 3.11.

At the time, I did not take the binaries from Project A, compiled with Xamarin 4.0, and put them into Project B. I'm going to try that next.

Is it possible the exception I'm seeing is because Xamarin 4.0 is no longer "backwards compatible"? Do I have to recompile all my projects with Xamarin 4.0 and update all my binary references in dependent projects?

One of the nulls seems to indicate that The Mono runtime couldn't find the multicast delegate's "Method" in the library, almost like it could not find the Mono signature anymore for the functionality.

• gandergander USMember

I am also having problems with the iOS builds from VS2015. Have upgraded everything on both sides to alpha channel. I have read a few threads and have read through the bugzilla on the issue and see lots of reports, but nothing to attempt as a solution. Mac is XCode 7.2. Can start simulator from VS2015, run designer, etc.

Attached is screenshot showing Mac Agent connected and the build log. Any help is appreciated, just got started yesterday working through some tuts and immediately ran into this.

• gandergander USMember

This may be helpful as well: The build directory structure isn't being created on the mac side under ~/Library/Caches/Xamarin. See attached please.

Thanks again,

Gerald

edited January 2016

@bradleyberthold, apologies for the slow reply. In case it might still be of some help, I am not aware of any binary compatibility breakages in Xamarin 4.0.

I searched Bugzilla for any reported bugs that looked like they might be related to the multicast delegate issue you have described. The closest I've found so far is:

"Bug 36640 - Delegate.Method null for comined delegates"

The candidate fix for that issue is now included in the current Alpha channel "Cycle 6 – Service Release 1" version of Xamarin.Android. So if you haven't yet checked that Alpha to see if it helps, it would be worth a try. If you still see a problem with that version, please do file a quick bug report. Thanks in advance!

gander, thanks for the build log. That log shows the following two warnings:

warning : Could not authenticate the user using the existing ssh keys
    warning VSXRunBuildLocally: The project iosTest was built while disconnected from a Mac agent, so only the main assembly was compiled. Connect to a Xamarin Mac build agent to build the full application.

Unfortunately these warnings indicate that you are hitting one of the remaining issues in Xamarin 4.0 that has proved to be difficult to replicate locally and eliminate: Bug 36059.

The simplest way to proceed while that bug is still under investigation would be to downgrade temporarily back to Xamarin 3.0.

• gandergander USMember
    edited January 2016

@BrendenZagaeski I'm sure you guys have figured out that the problem is related to the SSH keys stored on the Windows side for connecting to the XMA. Providing a username and password to the msbuild process via CLI allows the project to build then can hit debug on simulator in VS2015 and simulator will come up just fine.

Obviously, have to rebuild via CLI for every change before pulling up simulator, not a full-stop, but certainly not optimal.

It might also bear mentioning that if you remove the SSH keys before doing a CLI build it will recreate the keys - VS2015 still won't work. Haven't yet confirmed if it's actually the keys or how Xamarin is trying to use them.

edited January 2016

gander, indeed that discrepancy in behavior is known. As mentioned on the bug comment I linked: "command line builds using MSBuild do not hit that problem".

You can direct any further discussion of that specific bug onto the bug report itself. Thanks!

edited January 2016

I will now close this thread to redirect further discussion about Xamarin 4.0 onto the corresponding threads for the follow-up service releases that include additional bug fixes:

This discussion has been closed.