Stable Release: Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited November 2015 in General

Xamarin Blog post: https://blog.xamarin.com/introducing-xamarin-4
Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-6-final/

This is a feature release. Two of the key highlights are:

• New SSH-based build host connection for XamarinVS. The Mac build host connection for XamarinVS has been rewritten to use a new SSH-based login that simplifies certain connection scenarios and solves several bugs with the old build host connection. Note: The "Xamarin.iOS Build Host" application has been intentionally removed in this version because it is no longer needed for the SSH-based connection. (For a few more details see the release notes, the installation guide, and a short video introduction.)

• Mono 4.2.1. Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS, and Xamarin.Mac have all been updated to use Mono 4.2.1. This Mono update replaces several major components of the .NET runtime with Microsoft's open sourced stack, which brings many bug fixes and performance and compatibility benefits.

Bug filing for Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 Feature Release

If you find any new issues in this release compared to the previous Stable versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate, please do file a quick bug report, and then feel free to add a note on this thread with the bug number. Thanks!

New known issues

A small follow-up Alpha Channel Service Release has now been published that addresses a first subset of the regressions introduced by this feature release. To save time also be sure to check the lists of known issues in the release notes (linked below) before filing a bug.

You can view the complete list of new bug reports against the Xamarin 4 ("Cycle 6") Stable versions using the following Bugzilla query:

(As an additional small experiment, a subset of the known issues has been recorded on http://www.xambugs.com/cycle6/ in a different format more closely resembling the lists of known issues from past forum announcements. More issues will be added to that subset over time. If there are any particular issues you'd like to see added, feel free to request them on this thread.)

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the previous Xamarin 3 Stable versions by manually reinstalling each old package. See the "Get the latest stable version of Xamarin 3" section on your account page: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#xamarin3. If you have any trouble downloading the previous versions from that link, would like to install an older set of versions, or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need, feel free to contact contact@xamarin.com.

Release info

Windows

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.0.1689.msi (f860fe4) Release Notes
  • XamarinStudio-5.10.0.871.msi (4e9c5ab) Release Notes
  • gtk-sharp-2.12.30.msi

Mac

Xamarin Blog post: https://blog.xamarin.com/introducing-xamarin-4
Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-6-final/

See the first entry in the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

• [XamarinVS] The Cycle 6 builds of XamarinVS now require Visual Studio 2012 or higher. Following along with the end of Mainstream Support for Visual Studio 2010 by Microsoft, Cycle 6 is not compatible with VS 2010.

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [Xamarin Studio] [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] [Xamarin.Mac] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

EDIT Nov 18: Small proofreading update.
EDIT Nov 19: Add Bugzilla "Xamarin 4 'Cycle 6' Bug List".
EDIT Nov 20: Small change in contact information.
EDIT Nov 23: Clarification on interpreting the "Bug List".
EDIT Nov 24: Simplify downgrade instructions. Update for Alpha Channel Service Release.

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

Clicking "Wheres my Mac" in Xamarin Mac Agent takes me to this link developer.Xamarin.com/r/visual-studio/mac-setup
    Which 404's.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@JKay, thanks for the heads up. I believe that link is in theory intended to redirect to the following page:
    http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/installation/windows/visual-studio-ssh/.

I'll file a bug for it.

• ArturShamsutdinovArturShamsutdinov USMember, University

Am I right that I still restricted to only one Windows machine to be connected to one Mac box at a time? Or I can simultaneously use one Mac Agent from few different Windows boxes?

• SwappyTimSwappyTim USMember ✭✭

Does debugging of iOS App Extensions work yet?

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

@TimNichols that is coming soon.

• GuillaumeGirardGuillaumeGirard CAMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski Looks like the update server is currently down... The update window is stuck on "Checking for updates..."on both my OS X and Windows boxes. After timeout I got the error "Unable to connect to the update server. Please check that your internet connection is working..." on Windows, which is not the case as I am writing this post ^^

Direct download from dashboard on Xamarin website is working fine.

• EternalBardEternalBard BRBeta ✭✭

The code above now if throwing MissingMethodException but pName has only fields/properties made from Interface Builder with [Outlet]:

public NSObject getElementByIdFromReflection(string pName)
                    {
                        Type type = thisForm.GetType();
                        string propertyName = pName;
                        BindingFlags flags = BindingFlags.GetProperty | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.GetField;
                        Binder binder = null;
                        object[] args = null;

object value = type.InvokeMember(
                                            propertyName,
                                            flags,
                                            binder,
                                            thisForm,
                                            args
                                        );

return NSObject.FromObject(value);
                    }

That code runs ok since Novell's MonoTouch.
    I tried to file a bug but my id and password became locked trying to login. So sorry for posting here but we're stopped here now.

We are trying to go back this update now...

• EternalBardEternalBard BRBeta ✭✭

Using the "Previous versions, downgrading" instructions above, and after a reboot (MacOS) all projects are running ok again. I hope this bug could be corrected in next version I couldn't file a bug.

• OlegIlyinOlegIlyin USMember

Breakpoints are not hit in referenced android projects, although in pcl projects in same debugging session they hit as expected.

• Hallo,
    Since the update I can't receive GCM notifications in my android application when it's running on Debug configuration. If I switch to release configuration everything works fine, but naturally I can't debug.

• RussellCollinghamRussellCollingham GBUniversity ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski still getting this issue with latest stable on Visual Studio connecting to macbook running latest stable version

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/164736/#Comment_164736

"The application XXX needs to be rebuilt due to an inconsistency betweenthe connected Mac and the local app. Please rebuild the application and try again."

I have cleaned the builds folder on the mac and bin/obj on windows, cleaned the solution but it won't build anymore.

edited November 2015

@AlexandreSeifert, please do file a quick bug against Cycle 6. The initial bug report can even be as simple as copying and pasting your forum post verbatim into the long-form description, though if you can provide a test case and a short list of steps to reproduce, that would be even better! Thanks in advance!

@RussellCollingham, a bug report will likely be the best way forward for that "needs to be rebuilt due to an inconsistency" behavior too. One tiny extra step you could try before filing a bug (or contacting the Support Team via "Business & Enterprise Support" if you prefer and have a business license) is (a) to ensure the Mac build host has Xamarin.iOS version 9.2 installed, (b) to delete the app manually from the target device/simulator, and then (c) to clean the builds and bin/obj folders once more manually and try to redeploy. (Admittedly you might in fact have tried all these steps already, so in that case the best way forward will be a bug report or an email.) Thanks in advance!

Update for the "needs to be rebuilt due to an inconsistency" error. The status of that issue can now be tracked in public Bug 36059.

@OlegIlyin, there is one known issue under investigation for a potential fix in the upcoming follow-up Service Release (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=31248). Although the precise symptoms of that bug are slightly different (the reported behavior in that case is that the breakpoint is set on line 53, but the debugger is stopping on line 54), I suspect the same underlying problem could also account for the problem you are seeing. In any case it still might be best if you did file a quick bug against Cycle 6, especially if you can provide a test case and a short list of steps to reproduce (feel free to mark the bug and the test case as private if desired). That way the team can make sure that whatever candidate fix they find for Bug 31248 also stops the problem in your particular test case. Thanks in advance!

• NickPaterniNickPaterni USMember
    edited November 2015

When trying to connect to my mac via the Mac Agent, I see my mac's fqdn and IP, and I can get the SSH fingerprint, but get the message "Couldn't connect to . Please try again." Verified username (not display name), password and remote login permissions. I am able to SSH via Putty successfully on the same box.

UPDATE: I was able to get a connection as long as both Xamarin Studio and XCode is open on the mac computer. This is contrary to the Mac Agent support page which states that after setting up the remote connect that there is nothing else you have to do.

I was able to get a connection as long as both Xamarin Studio and XCode is open on the mac computer

That exact behavior is unexpected and sounds somewhat unique to your environment (it is not required on my computer for example). That said, you do need to log in via the login screen on the Mac build host before connecting VS. So for example, before you connect VS on the Mac build host you should be able to see the Desktop of the user that you will use to log in from Visual Studio.

In the release notes this restriction is described as "The new Mac Agent requires an active session on the Mac for the user configured on Visual Studio while connecting to the Mac."

Another issue that we've had reports of is that sometimes attempting to connect by double-clicking the computer's name in the graphical list (generated by Bonjour service discovery) does not work, while entering the Mac build host IP address by hand using the "Add Mac" button does work. So if you see the problem reappear, using the "Add Mac" button to enter the IP address by hand might help.

• JasonBSteeleJasonBSteele USUniversity ✭✭

I am working on a large solution with iOS and Android projects referencing a shared PCL. It uses MvvmCross and has a few plugins so there are several more projects as well.

I have just updated to Xamarin 4 and loaded the solution. The (loading) and (initialising) next to the projects remain and VS 2015 hangs. If I click it I get a notification telling me it's busy.

I tried creating a simple repro with Android, iOS and PCL projects but that works fine.

Any ideas?

@JasonBSteele, one little test you can try is to quit VS, then delete the hidden .vs folder in the top level of the solution directory (you'll need to set Explorer to show hidden files to be able to see the folder), and then try opening the solution again.

There's an issues the XamarinVS team is investigating where it seems that Visual Studio 2015 itself has an issue that causes it to hang in certain cases depending on the contents of the .vs folder. It seems this problematic behavior is triggered more often by Xamarin 4 compared to the previous Xamarin 3 ("Cycle 5") versions.

• JasonBSteeleJasonBSteele USUniversity ✭✭

Thanks @BrendanZagaeski, that fixed it!

• JaredMathesJaredMathes CAUniversity

I cannot sort by task completed anymore in the Xamarin Studio Task Pad. Before I could click the header square between Priority and Description and it would bring all of the unfinished tasks to the top. Now it doesn't do anything.

• @ArturShamsutdinov.8094 with Xamarin 4 you ARE still restricted to having only one Windows PC connected to the Mac build service at a time. It is a little cleaner and quicker for one PC to connect and then to reconnect the other and the disconnection of the "other" machine happens quietly and automatically. What you CAN do now that works quite well is have multiple instances of VS [on the same PC] connected to the build host at the same time. You can even debug->run to the simulator from multiple VS instances at the same time (whichever app you run last will be "on top" but you can switch between them on the simulator as you would with any other apps).

• ArturShamsutdinovArturShamsutdinov USMember, University

Thanks @KenRoss.7448 !

@JaredMathes, interesting. I can confirm that I see a different behavior in Xamarin Studio 5.10 compared to Xamarin Studio 5.9. I have now filed a quick report for that under Bug 36027 and added it to the expanded list of known issues. Thanks for the heads up!

• Since updating to 4.0, our build server (TeamCity) is throwing "Starter Edition of Xamarin.iOS does not support building outside of Xamarin Studio" even though we have Business Edition. I've tried the steps here with no luck: https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/2023120. Any ideas?

edited November 2015

@ChaseCarlile, if you haven't already, be sure to start an email "Business & Enterprise Support" case for this issue. They can check on a few possibilities with you. Thanks!

(Side note for anyone else who might see this thread: it's always good to contact Xamarin via email support for activation and licensing questions, even for Starter, Indie, and Trial users (via contact@xamarin.com).)

• I'll give that a shot, but I forgot to mention that I don't get the error running the same command from Terminal.

• any results about the bug for "The application xxxxx needs to be rebuilt due to an inconsistency between
    the connected Mac and the local app. Please rebuild the application and try
    again.
    "

• EricSchmeckEricSchmeck DEMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski, I have the same issue as JasonBSteele, but for me it is in Visual Studio 2013. I cannot open my project since I upgraded to Xamarin 4. I tried your fix, but it did not work for me. Is there anything I can do?

@Droid, if by chance you only see the problem for a certain project (for example, if a "new from template" project does not show the problem), then the most direct way forward would probably be to zip up and attach the smallest version [1] of your project that still shows the problem either:

(a) Directly on a new bug report (optionally marking the bug report private so it will only be visible to the Xamarin team).

or

(b) Via an email "Business & Enterprise Support" case.

If the problem does happen in a "new from template" project, then an email "Business & Enterprise Support" case is a good next step. The Support Team can help gather various details about your environment to help the XamarinVS team attempt to reproduce the issue.

Thanks in advance!

[1] (See also the KB article on bug filing for hints about minimizing the test case.)

edited November 2015

@Youssefelrayes, there are reports here that suggest 1 possible small workaround:

• Disconnect from the Mac build host and then reconnect.

It also includes a more intensive workaround that is probably not that useful for day-to-day use, but might be helpful as a further diagnostic test:

1. Create a new project, and then re-import all of the existing resources and files from the old project.
    2. "Pre-build" the project on the command line using MSBuild. (See the linked forum thread for more details.)
    3. Debug the app from Visual Studio (without rebuilding).

Update: The status of that issue can now be tracked in public Bug 36059.

• Hi brendan,
    thanks for your reply ,
    but i was not trying an old application ,it was a new application just created to day to test the connectivity and how things work.
    no i have a complete set of different error :).
    when i try to connect i get
    Starting agents on Mac xbsios.local (192.168.1.55)
    Activating the Mac...
    The Mac could not be activated because of the following error: UnkownEdition
    Disconnected from Mac xbsios.local (192.168.1.55)
    Starting Broker 4.0.0.1689 in port 53962...
    SSH Connection established with the Mac 192.168.1.200:22:53962
    Starting agents on Mac xbsios.local (192.168.1.200)
    Activating the Mac...
    Disconnected from Mac xbsios.local (192.168.1.200)
    Starting Broker 4.0.0.1689 in port 51247...
    SSH Connection established with the Mac 192.168.1.200:22:51247
    Activating the Mac...
    Disconnected from Mac xbsios.local (192.168.1.200)

i tried changing the MAC ip but as you see it is the same .
    also attached is to images of what is installed on MAC .
    and the installation on visual studio , so it seem that everything is installed on both ,
    even that i doesn't matter how many times i try to install xamarin , the 2 components in the image stay the same

attached is the log file for the setup , i can't see any problems in it .

so any advice will be great.

thanks

• Previous Stable version numbers

Windows

• XamarinVS 3.11.1594
    • Xamarin Studio 5.9.7.22
    • GTK# 2.12.26

@BrendanZagaeski , please provide a direct link to download the Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.1594.msi file.

• to add to my above post may be it will help , i had to completely disconnect the mac and tell the visual studio to forget it :)

and started adding it again to get a new SSH fingerprint key.
    this is what i get when i connect now
    Bonjour service 'xbsios' did not respond with its IP address.
    Starting Broker 4.0.0.1689 in port 51662...
    SSH Connection established with the Mac 192.168.1.200:22:51662
    Activating the Mac...
    Starting Agent IDB 4.0.0.1689...
    Connected to the Mac xbsios.local (192.168.1.200) with Limited support.
    Agent IDB 4.0.0.1689 is running
    Starting Agent Build 4.0.0.1689...
    Agent Build 4.0.0.1689 is running
    Starting Agent Designer 4.0.0.1689...
    Agent Designer 4.0.0.1689 is running
    Connected to the Mac xbsios.local (192.168.1.200) with Full support.

so i got it connected , but it seem that only the designer is working , cause i can see the storyboard file and i can add controls to it , but once i try to compile i get

Error The application App2 needs to be rebuilt due to an inconsistency between
    the connected Mac and the local app. Please rebuild the application and try
    again.
    Warning Connection failed to establish within 10000 milliseconds.
    Warning The project App2 was built while disconnected from a Mac agent, so only the main assembly was compiled. Connect to a Xamarin Mac build agent to build the full application.

please advice

• CaptainXamtasticCaptainXamtastic GBUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

In Visual Studio during an iOS Release build I get the message:

Debug is not enabled in the current configuration. Please Start Without Debugging
    or change it in Properties -> iOS Build.

Checking the "Enable Debugging" checkbox in the Properties/iOS Build page gets rid of this message.

The problem is that the footnote to the checkbox says 'Do not use for release builds as binaries are significantly larger.'

edited November 2015

AleksandrsVorobjovs, as alluded to in the first post in the thread, anyone (on any license level) who would like to avoid the trouble of navigating through the store download page to find the links is encouraged to email contact@xamarin.com. I have requested an update the store download page that should be coming out in the next few days that will make it easier to see, but in the mean time, don't hesitate to email us.

I would not recommend downloading Xamarin from a third party mirror.

EDIT Nov 20: Adjust contact email address for install links for older versions.

edited November 2015

@Youssefelrayes, it looks like you're using a Trial license, so please contact hello@xamarin.com for additional help diagnosing issues and getting up and running with that Trial. Thanks!

(Or if I've misread some information, and you already have a Business or higher license, please start a Business & Enterprise Support email support case.)

edited November 2015

Debug is not enabled in the current configuration. Please Start Without Debugging or change it in Properties -> iOS Build.

AnthonyHarrison.3194, that sounds like the correct intended behavior. To start an app in the Release configuration, select "Debug -> Start Without Debugging".

• RobDRobD USXamarin Team, University Xamurai
    edited November 2015

@EternalBard

@EternalBard said:
    The code above now if throwing MissingMethodException but pName has only fields/properties made from Interface Builder with [Outlet]:

public NSObject getElementByIdFromReflection(string pName)
                    {
                        Type type = thisForm.GetType();
                        string propertyName = pName;
                        BindingFlags flags = BindingFlags.GetProperty | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.GetField;
                        Binder binder = null;
                        object[] args = null;

object value = type.InvokeMember(
                                          propertyName,
                                          flags,
                                          binder,
                                          thisForm,
                                          args
                                      );

return NSObject.FromObject(value);
                    }

That code runs ok since Novell's MonoTouch.
    I tried to file a bug but my id and password became locked trying to login. So sorry for posting here but we're stopped here now.

We are trying to go back this update now...

Adding BindingFlags.Instance might solve the issue. I believe this change was to align w/ the way .NET works on Windows.

• @BrendanZagaeski said:

AleksandrsVorobjovs, as alluded to in the first post in the thread, anyone (on any license level) who would like to avoid the trouble of navigating through the store download page to find the links is encouraged to email hello@xamarin.com.

Of course I already contacted hello@xamarin.com yesterday to request the older versions. But I have no answer at all.

@AleksandrsVorobjovs, thanks for the heads-up. I searched for the email, and I think I found the correct one and replied with the links. I have now updated the recommended email address to contact@xamarin.com since that inbox has a slightly different set of folks watching it which should hopefully avoid similar delays for anyone else who writes in looking for the older versions.

• @BrendanZagaeski , thank you very much! I received your e-mail.

This discussion has been closed.