Getting error : An assembly 'System.Core' with the same identity has already been imported...

bas.0901bas.0901 USMember
edited November 2015 in Xamarin.iOS

As stated in the subject we get errors in our Xamarin project.

`Xamarin : 5.9.8 (build 0)
Mono : 4.05 (detached/1d8d582)
GTK+ : 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)
Package version : 400050001

Xcode : 7.1.1 (9081)
Build 7B1005

Xamarin.iOS
Version : 9.1.0.27 (Business Edition)`

We currently use Xamarin for iOS app's only.

The project is turning MobileVLCkit universal binary into a set of dll's to be used with another application. This project has been compiling without problems for months. Since updating my Mac Mini (OSX X El Capitan) I get a build error on each project in the solution (2 projects = 2 errors)

The full error message :

<path_to_project>/BTOUCH: Error CS1703: An assembly 'System.Core' with the same identity has already been imported. Consider removing one of the references (CS1703) (<project_name>)

However I do not have any references to 'System.Core'. In the .csproj file of the project that gives an error I only have these references

<ItemGroup> <Reference Include="Xamarin.iOS"> <HintPath>..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\Frameworks\Xamarin.iOS.framework\Versions\Current\lib\mono\Xamarin.iOS\Xamarin.iOS.dll</HintPath> <Private>False</Private> </Reference> <Reference Include="System"> <HintPath>..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\Frameworks\Xamarin.iOS.framework\Versions\Current\lib\mono\Xamarin.iOS\System.dll</HintPath> <Private>False</Private> </Reference> </ItemGroup>

In the logging of the build I can see that BTOUCH task is trying to incluide System.Core but I have no idea why is that and how to overcome this problem. The output log from BTOUCH is :

Task "BTouch" Using task BTouch from Xamarin.iOS.Tasks.BTouch, Xamarin.iOS.Tasks, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null BTouch Task BTouchToolPath: /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/bin/ BTouchToolExe: btouch-native AdditionalLibPaths: <null> AllowUnsafeBlocks: True ApiDefinitions: ApiDefinition.cs BaseLibDll: /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.iOS.dll CompilerPath: <null> CoreSources: StructsAndEnums.cs DefineConstants: __MOBILE__;__IOS__;DEBUG;__UNIFIED__; EmitDebugInformation: False GeneratedSourcesDir: obj/Debug/ios/ GeneratedSourcesFileList: obj/Debug/ios/sources.list Namespace: <null> NativeLibraries: <null> NoStdLib: False OutputAssembly: <null> References: ../../../../../../../Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.iOS.dll ../../../../../../../Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/System.dll /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/4.0.5/lib/mono/gac/System.Core/4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll Resources: <null> Sources: <null> Tool /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/bin/btouch-native execution started with arguments: /v /baselib:/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.iOS.dll /unsafe /d:"__MOBILE__;__IOS__;DEBUG;__UNIFIED__" "<parth_to_project>/ApiDefinition.cs" /s:"<path_to_project>/StructsAndEnums.cs" -r /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.iOS.dll -r /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/System.dll -r /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/4.0.5/lib/mono/gac/System.Core/4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll /tmpdir:"<path_to_project>/obj/Debug/ios/" /sourceonly:"<path_to_project>/obj/Debug/ios/sources.list" Environment variables being passed to the tool: /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/bin/smcs -debug -unsafe -target:library -nowarn:436 -out:'<path_to_project>/obj/Debug/ios/temp.dll' -r:/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/9.1.0.27/lib/btouch/btouch-native.exe -r:'/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.iOS.dll' -r:'/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/System.dll' -r:'/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/4.0.5/lib/mono/gac/System.Core/4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll' -unsafe -r:'/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.iOS.dll' -define:__MOBILE__;__IOS__;DEBUG;__UNIFIED__ '<path_to_project>/ApiDefinition.cs' '<path_to_project>/StructsAndEnums.cs' -lib:/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/Xamarin.iOS BTOUCH: error CS1703: An assemblySystem.Core' with the same identity has already been imported. Consider removing one of the references
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/4.0.5/lib/mono/gac/System.Core/4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
System.Core.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
btouch: API binding contains errors.
WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
Using default runtime: v4.0.30319
Tool /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/bin/btouch-native execution finished.
Task "BTouch" execution -- FAILED`

Anyone here having a clue why there might be some System.Core.dll import while there is no reference in the project file? And of course: what can I do to get rid of the error?

(note: is a replacement for the full path)

Answers