Building GTK# Project on Windows with Mono Runtime.

I'm working on a GTK# project on windows using Xamarin that will eventually have to work on Linux too. I'm trying to get it to work on Mono, the reason for this is mostly consistency between the two versions and because of a bug with Xamarin is I use .Net. (more on this later).

So I create the default GTK project to test GTK. I set the .Net Runtimes of Xamarin to Mono 4.0.3. Once I do that all the references to GTK# libraries lose their connections. Here's a screenshot:

Looking around I found this bug report, it says it's fixed but not sure if it should work automatically or I'm supposed to re-configure something. I checked the directories mentioned in the bug report (first comment) and my gac folder contains all the references I need. Here's a screenshot:

This only happens if I use the Mono runtime if I actually set it to .Net I get another error, Which I assume is related to this bug Here's a screenshot:

I'm confused on what's going on. Why is GTK not being found on the Mono Runtime? And even if I wanted to run it on .Net the debugger it doesn't seem to be working at all. is there some kind of configuration I'm missing?

Facing the same issues on Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10.
(Sorry for the large images not sure how to resize them)

Thanks in advance.