Beta Release: Cycle 6 Feature Release – Release Candidate 3

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited November 2015 in General

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the new Stable release announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/55861/stable-release-cycle-6-feature-release/p1

Corresponding Release Blog post: https://releases.xamarin.com/beta-preview-cycle-6-preview-update-release-candidate-3

This is a feature release. Two of the key highlights are:

• New SSH-based build host connection for XamarinVS. The Mac build host connection for XamarinVS has been rewritten to use a new SSH-based login that simplifies certain connection scenarios and solves several bugs with the old build host connection. Note: The "Xamarin.iOS Build Host" application has been intentionally removed in this version because it is no longer needed for the SSH-based connection.

• Mono 4.2.1. Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS, and Xamarin.Mac have all been updated to use Mono 4.2.1. This Mono update replaces several major components of the .NET runtime with Microsoft's open sourced stack, which brings many bug fixes and performance and compatibility benefits.

Bug reports wanted!

Please file a bug for any new issue you find in these Cycle 6 versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate. This Beta release is a chance to help ensure that the final Cycle 6 Stable release will work smoothly with your specific projects and environment.

Installing the Beta and switching back to Stable

You can install this new Beta version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

If you prefer, you can also use a special version of the standalone combined Xamarin installer that automatically downloads all of the Beta packages and installs them. Using this installer is equivalent to switching to the Beta channel, except that your updater channel preference can be left at "Stable." See the release blog post for the link for Mac and Windows.

Release info

Windows

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.0.1686.msi (4a80730) Release Notes
  • XamarinStudio-5.10.0.870.msi (1212ecb) Release Notes
  • gtk-sharp-2.12.30.msi

Mac

Release Blog post including estimated timeline to Stable: https://releases.xamarin.com/beta-preview-cycle-6-preview-update-release-candidate-2

See the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

• [XamarinVS] [iOS] XamarinVS 4.0.0 uses a new SSH-based build host connection that no longer requires the old "Xamarin.iOS Build Host" app on the Mac. (For a few more details see the release notes and a short introduction to setting up the new SSH connection.

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [Xamarin Studio] [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] [Xamarin.Mac] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Important known issues in the Beta builds

• Nob-public Bug 35797 - [XamarinVS] [Xamarin.Forms] Hang/freeze when attempting to create a new Xamarin.Forms project from template.

• Non-public Bug 34828 - [Xamarin Studio] – Holding down Command+Z batches undo actions. (Undo is not executed until key combination is released.)

EDIT Nov 13: Update Xamarin.iOS, XamarinVS, and Xamarin Studio build for additional bug fixes: "RC3". Remove fixed known issues: 35555 35639.

• MartinBrekhofMartinBrekhof NLUniversity ✭✭

I'm getting confused here, I installed the Alpha version yesterday (no build host troubles anymore, great). This morning some updates were installed (on Windows this could use some polishing). Now the Alpha is also Beta ? I used to look at Current releases but as Forms (for example) only has a stable release (1.5.1) and 1.5.2-pre1 not even exists and several products are shown as in Beta and Alpha at the same time I doubt the value/correctness of this list.
    IT might not seem relevant but somehow I could use a central page/list/ instead of looking for snippets in the forums etc.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The current releases page is accurate. Perhaps one helpful clarification is that every updater channel always contains a set of versions. Technically the Cycle 6 RC2 release was published to both the Beta and Alpha channels today, but as a shorthand, we just call it a "Beta" release. Because today's release was newer than the previous Alpha channel (Cycle 6 RC1) release, it superseded the older versions that were in the Alpha channel.

This way, users who have picked the Alpha channel can stay on the Alpha channel as long as they like, and they will continue to get bug-fix updates that are published to Beta or Stable until there is a brand new Alpha version (sometime a little later in the future).

Forms (for example) only has a stable release (1.5.1) and 1.5.2-pre1

Xamarin.Forms is a special case because it is a per-project NuGet package. Upgrading the NuGet package in a single project involves using the NuGet package manager rather than the updater channel.

Xamarin.Forms 1.5.1 is shown on the current releases page for convenience as an additional point of reference, but it is not directly tied to Alpha/Beta/Stable updater channels.

• MartinBrekhofMartinBrekhof NLUniversity ✭✭

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Just a suggestion: put this explanation (generalized) on the top of the current releases page.

• BobisbackBobisback USUniversity ✭✭
    edited November 2015

"You can’t use this version of the application “Xamarin Studio” with this version of OS X. You have OS X 10.9.5. The application requires OS X 10.10 or later."

This would have been some very useful information before I installed the beta on both my windows computer and my mac hahahahah.

• PhilipGruebelePhilipGruebele USMember ✭✭

It seems occasionally an Android build pops up a windows command window briefly. Not a big deal but would probably be good to redirect all output to null

occasionally an Android build pops up a windows command window briefly

Feel free to file a bug for that if you like. The bug report can be very brief, even just copying and pasting your forum comment verbatim into the Summary and long-description (of course any additional hints about when the problem might be happening are welcome too). A bug report will ensure that the QA and engineering teams have a notification about the behavior and a place to record any additional comments they might think of.

Thanks!

• LesCandleLesCandle USMember ✭✭
    edited November 2015

@BrendanZagaeski Using add/remove programs I was able to 'update' VS2015 so that the original Xamarin was in the Tools->Options menu again.

I just tried installing the RC2 4.0.0.1685.msi from inside VS2015 Tools->Options->Xamarin, and it failed exactly as before.

I added the txt and xml log files in a zip attachemnt to my existing bug report for Bug 35750

note: the error seems to be on line 238 of the log file:

MSI (c) (68:78) [13:12:19:259]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ROOTDRIVE property. Its value is 'F:\'.

and line 258 of the log file:

MSI (c) (68:78) [13:12:19:259]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding TARGETDIR property. Its value is 'F:\'.

Again, F:\ is not even a drive. It was created using 'subst F: H:\FFolder'

My C:\ drive has 81GB free, the H:\ drive (where F:\ is actually located), has 5.2TB free.

If it had just looked for the largest actual drive, it would have found H:\, but there was plenty of room on C:\

• RafaelCrdenasOrtegaRafaelCrdenasOrtega MXUniversity ✭✭
    edited November 2015

"The application XXXXXX needs to be rebuilt due to an inconsistency between the connected Mac and the local app. Please rebuild the application and try again."

Visual Studio shows that error after upgrade to Xamarin Release Candidate 2, I'm using Studio 2015 in Windows 10, the MAC has OSX 10.11.1

I rebuild and clean and rebuild but still appears the error

LesCandle, many thanks for the additional logs on the bug report.

needs to be rebuilt due to an inconsistency between

RafaelCrdenasOrtega, I searched for existing bugs about that error in Bugzilla, but I only found 1 bug, and the fix for that bug is included in RC 2, so if you get a chance please do file a quick bug for the issue you are seeing. The initial bug report can be brief, even just copy-pasting your forum comment directly into the bug report. Of course, the more details you can include the better (see the KB article on bug filing for some hints), but even just a minimal initial bug report will help. Thanks!

• RuudFaessenRuudFaessen NLMember

Hi Brendan,

I have not yet tried but it seems like a good solution. However: If I am able to connect via SSH to one of my local Mac computers, would I be able to connect to other Mac computers on a different location? Like a running server that is just.. a host... to build my projects. One more thing: Security? I personally don't like to turn off the firewall, there is a reason why they are their. The Firewall Configuration Instructions (https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/getting_started/installation/firewall/) does provide a set of allowed sources. However, none specifically for connecting to a Mac computer.

• StefanMoonenStefanMoonen NLUniversity ✭✭
    edited November 2015

It seems a stable update to Mono accidentally got pushed into the beta channel today. Or is it meant to downgrade back to Mono 4.0.5.1?

The alpha channel version (4.2.1.91) seems to be a downgrade as well:

Before:

09:04 $ mono --version
    Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.1 (explicit/6dd2d0d Fri Nov  6 12:25:19 EST 2015)
    [...]

After:

09:04 $ mono --version
    Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.1 (explicit/8862921 Thu Oct 29 17:09:16 EDT 2015)
    [...]

connect to other Mac computers on a different location
    Security?

The answer to both of these questions is that in principle the behavior should be the same as using any other program to connect via SSH to the Mac.

The Firewall Configuration Instructions ... none specifically for connecting to a Mac computer.

There is a new troubleshooting guide that will be posted soon for the SSH build host connection. It clarifies that it is not necessary to turn off the firewall on the Mac: it is only necessary to configure the Mac build host to allow SSH connections.

It seems a stable update to Mono accidentally got pushed into the beta channel today

Thanks for the heads-up! That should be resolved with the next round of updater channel updates today.

• VictorHGarciaVictorHGarcia USUniversity ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Ooppsss! since I have automatic updates, my Xamarin instance was updates along with mono and all other components.

Is that OK? or as you mentioned @BrendanZagaeski are you going to release a fix for that or a downgrade update or what do you suggest?

thanks in advance

The Mono versions have now been updated on all channels to version 4.2.1.102 for today's Stable Cycle 6 Release. The release team noticed that the download links were taking a little while to refresh across the content distribution network used to host the downloads. If anyone still sees a Mono version lower than 4.2.1.102 by the end of the day, be sure to let us know on the new Stable release announcement.

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the new Stable release announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/55861/stable-release-cycle-6-feature-release/p1

This discussion has been closed.