What are the advantages of using MonoCross with Xamarin?

I am developing a cross platform mobile application for android, iOS and windows phone. I have developed a sample app using Xamarin and it works fine. Now, I read about MonoCross framework.

I would like to know what are the benefits(or pros and cons) of using MonoCross with Xamarin? What is the need to use MonoCross when Xamarin alone gives you the capability to build cross platform apps? I am new to this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Hi @krutikchudgar,

I haven't personally used MonoCross, but there have been some discussions about MonoCross here.

If you are looking at developing a cross-platform application, it may be worth it to read/scan our Building Cross Platform Applications doc as an introduction to the topic.

As far as cross-platform frameworks, I've found that MVVMCross seems to be a project with a ton of life (thanks @slodge!), lots of documentation, and plenty of working samples. @Slodge has a great overview of MVVMCross on StackOverflow, as well as a video session from Evolve 2013. He also likes to hang around the forums a lot!

As far as which is better, I really shouldn't comment on that, as I haven't really used MVVMCross or MonoCross much. However, from what I know about MVVMCross - the documentation, samples, quality of product, open-source - it seems like the best option!