Forum Libraries, Components, and Plugins

Performance on WP8

Hi there, I am pretty new to the CocosSharp an I am trying to learn the basic concepts in developing a game.
I have some questions regarding the performance on WP platform:

• I have started with creating the template project located in CocosSharp -> Windows -> "Empty Game Windowp Phone 8" in the New Project menu in VS Comunity 2013.
    By default this project will have the CocosSharp PCL v1.6.1 referenced. I did a manual update to the last version available on nuget.

• The test and debugging was made on the WP8 Emulator WVGA with 512MB of RAM. The FPS counter was in the range of 60 FPS. All good.
    Now comes the interesting part: when testing on WP8/WP8.1 Emulator 720p or higher, the fps is low (in the range of 23-30fps). Also the same results are obtained on the real device (720p device, 1GB of RAM running WP8.1);

To summarize:
Is there a known issues regarding the performance on HD devices (maybe related with the design resolution setting)?
Is the FPS counter reliable on WP8 project?
One last thing I did noticed is that when using TTF fonts packed in xnb format (used in the CCLabel) the application is not correctly resumed, the label text is missing, is there a workaround?

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• obertr0nobertr0n ROMember

I have created an empty WP8 project and just added the code to output the reported resolution and the design resolution. Here are some screenshots to illustrate the issue:

1. 720p WP emulator running WP8.1
    2. 720p WP emulator running WP8.1
    3. 720p WP emulator running WP8.1
    4. WVGA WP emulator running WP8.1

I am open to ideas on how I can fix this. Thank you.

• kjpou1kjpou1 LUMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Alex

Have you taken a look at the Getting Started topic on Multiple Resolutions? That might help.

@kjpou1
    First of all, thank you for your reply.,
    I have read the guide, but I fail to understand the relation between the design resolution and the poor performance on HD devices.
    Also, on the MS site is specified that on Wp8, 720p and 1080p devices will be scaled down to 480x853, or this does not apply for cocossharp?

Isn't there any developer on WP that could give me a hint on the right direction? Or WP is not that popular? :disappointed:

• kjpou1kjpou1 LUMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Can you try on devices and release instead of debug. We have had reports that things are better on WP.

Sometimes our FPS does not coincide with what is up top.

WVGA - Debug

On the higher resolutions I also notice on the simulator that the FPS goes down as well. On one machine it hits 45 on the 1080 and on another it is 35. On my virtual machine with parallels with W10 it jumps from ~30 to 32 to all of a sudden ~50 at times I guess depending on how I am using the machine. In a couple of threads here it is reported to be on par with other platforms.

WXGA - Debug

720p - Debug

Thanks again for your response. Could you please provide me a link with the exact project sample that you used?
    Thank you.

Hello there and sorry for the late reply. I finally resolved this issue. Indeed the tests all run at 50-60 fps on the device, but the templates still run at low fps.
    The solution for me, on WP was to set the application.PreferMultiSampling = false;
    And now the fps is in the range of high 55.
    Thank you.