Stable Release: Xamarin.iOS 9.1.0, iOS 9.1 upstream release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited November 2015 in Xamarin.iOS

This is a feature release to provide SDK bindings and IDE compatibility for iOS 9.1 and Xcode 7.1.

If you find any new issues in this release compared to the previous Stable versions, please do file a quick bug report, and then feel free to add a note on this thread with the bug number. Thanks!

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the previous Stable version by manually reinstalling each old package. See the KB article on downgrading. If you have a Trial or Starter subscription (or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need), feel free to contact hello@xamarin.com to request the older versions.

Older Mono package versions are not currently listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads. The Mono package for the previous Stable version is available here:

Release info

Visual Studio Extension

- Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.1589.msi (f119127)

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.1594.msi (a06d6d5) Hotfix

Mac

- monotouch-9.1.0.27.pkg (1f068b4)

• monotouch-9.1.0.31.pkg (bae2cdb) Hotfix

Release Blog: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-ios-9-1-xcode-7-1-support-el-capitan-fixes

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_9/xamarin.ios_9.1/

Important notes

• [iOS] Xamarin.iOS 9.1 (and XamarinVS 3.11.1585) now require Xcode 7 or higher, and consequently also OS X 10.10.5 or higher.

• [iOS] Apple's release notes contain a list of changes and pending issues for both iOS 9.1 and Xcode 7.1.

• [iOS] This version does not provide support for tvOS or watchOS in this release. Xamarin has previews (XI 9.3) available for both platforms. See the corresponding preview release thread for the latest information and download links.

New known issues

• Bug 35320 - [iOS] [Xamarin Studio] "iPad Pro" is not listed in the simulators menu in Xamarin Studio. Possible temporary workaround: install the Xamarin Studio 5.10.0.988 preview version from the Xamarin.iOS 9.3 preview thread. Keep in mind that this preview build has only been lightly tested. That said, it did allow successful building, deployment, and debugging on the "iPad Pro" simulator in brief informal tests using Xamarin.iOS 9.1.0.

• Bug 35493 - [iOS] "Invalid WatchKit Support - The bundle contains an invalid implementation of WatchKit. The app may have been built or signed with non-compliant or pre-release tools." when attempting to submit a WatchKit (watchOS 1) app to the App Store. Now hotfixed on the Stable channel. (Old possible workaround: This issue does not affect Xamarin.iOS 9.0, so one possible temporary workaround is to downgrade Xcode to 7.0 and downgrade Xamarin.iOS to 9.0.)

• Bug 34609 - [iOS] "Error MT4116: Could not register the assembly 'UnifiedSingleViewIphone1': System.NotSupportedException: Operation is not supported." when attempting to build apps for device that use IRPPreviewViewControllerDelegate or RPPreviewViewControllerDelegate. Workaround: Add Console.WriteLine (new NSSet<NSString> ()); anywhere in the application. This will prevent the NSSet<NSString> type from being linked away.

• Non-public Bug 35445 - [iOS] [Xamarin Studio] Ignorable message "Error reading framework definition '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild-frameworks/Xamarin.TVOS/v1.0'" when building iOS apps from the command line using mdtool with the -v verbosity flag. Possible workarounds: Remove the -v verbosity flag, or use xbuild to build from the command line rather than mdtool.

Remaining known issues from older release threads

The remaining known issues from older release threads ("Android M Support", "iOS 9 Support – Service Release 1", "Cycle 5 – Service Release 4", and earlier) are unchanged.

EDIT Oct 30: Mention Xamarin Studio 5.10.0.988 preview build for the "iPad Pro" simulator.
EDIT Nov 02: Add WatchKit App Store submission Bug 35493, iOS Bug 35445, and iOS Bug 34609.
EDIT Nov 10: Add candidate fix for bug 35493 for XS on Mac.
EDIT Nov 10: iOS Bug 35493 now fixed in today's hotfix release.

• Still getting issues trying to get ReplayKit working. #34220 seem to be officially fixed now but there is a compilation error when trying to use IRPPreviewViewControllerDelegate (or RPPreviewViewControllerDelegate).

Filed a bug here (including simple repro project)

• PhilipSharpPhilipSharp CNMember ✭✭

Still hope to know if this version supports app thinning, my app size is a problem when submitting to appstore, if this version support xCode7.1, I think app thinning should be supported, but no any words about it.

• PhilipSharpPhilipSharp CNMember ✭✭
    edited October 2015

"iPad Pro" is STILL NOT listed in the simulators menu in Xamarin Studio (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=35320)

Any solution to manual add it?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

app thinning

App thinning is not included in this "SDK bindings and IDE compatibility" release. It a new feature and orthogonal to the iOS 9.1 APIs themselves, so it is not required in order to use the latest SDK bindings or the existing IDE features. That said, as mentioned before, app thinning is currently available in preview form in the latest Xamarin.iOS 9.3 preview builds. See also the earlier watchOS 2 preview thread for more details on how to enable it.

In my brief testing, I was even able to see some of the "app thinning" IDE features working successfully using the Xamarin Studio 5.10.0.988 preview version alongside the current Stable version of Xamarin.iOS 9.1.0.27.

Any solution to manual add ["iPad Pro"]?

I am not aware of any way to add the "iPad Pro" simulator by hand, but as with app thinning, it is included in the preview version of Xamarin Studio listed on the Xamarin.iOS 9.3 preview page:

As mentioned for app thinning, you can use Xamarin Studio 5.10.0.988 alongside the current Stable Xamarin.iOS 9.1.0.27. This is an un-QA'd combination, but I have done some light local testing using these 2 versions myself, and I was able to build, deploy, and debug successfully on both simulator and device. So if you wish to use the "iPad Pro" simulator in Xamarin Studio you can try installing the preview version of Xamarin Studio 5.10.0.988 without changing your current installed version of Xamarin.iOS.

This discussion has been closed.