Stable Release: XamarinVS 3.11.1589, iOS 9.1 and OS X 10.11 upstream releases

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

This is a combined bugfix and feature release:

• Feature release to provide SDK bindings and IDE compatibility for iOS 9.1 and Xcode 7.1.
  • Bugfix release to address a few breakages caused by OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

If you find any new issues in this release compared to the previous Stable versions, please do file a quick bug report, and then feel free to add a note on this thread with the bug number. Thanks!

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the previous Stable version by manually reinstalling each old package. See the KB article on downgrading. If you have a Trial or Starter subscription (or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need), feel free to contact [email protected] to request the older versions.

Older Mono package versions are not currently listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads. The Mono package for the previous Stable version is available here:

Release info

Windows

- Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.1589.msi (f119127)

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.1594.msi (a06d6d5) Hotfix

Mac Build Host

- monotouch-9.1.0.27.pkg (1f068b4)

• monotouch-9.1.0.31.pkg (bae2cdb) Hotfix

Release Blog: https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-ios-9-1-xcode-7-1-support-el-capitan-fixes

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/vs/xamarin.vs_3/xamarin.vs_3.11/

Important notes

• [iOS] Xamarin.iOS 9.1 (and XamarinVS 3.11.1585) now require Xcode 7 or higher, and consequently also OS X 10.10.5 or higher.

• [iOS] Apple's release notes contain a list of changes and pending issues for both iOS 9.1 and Xcode 7.1.

• [iOS] This version does not provide support for tvOS or watchOS in this release. Xamarin has previews (XI 9.3) available for both platforms. See the corresponding preview release thread for the latest information and download links.

New known issues

• Bug 35493 - [iOS] "Invalid WatchKit Support - The bundle contains an invalid implementation of WatchKit. The app may have been built or signed with non-compliant or pre-release tools." when attempting to submit a WatchKit (watchOS 1) app to the App Store. Now hotfixed on the Stable channel. (Old possible workaround: This issue does not affect Xamarin.iOS 9.0, so one possible temporary workaround is to downgrade Xcode to 7.0 and downgrade Xamarin.iOS to 9.0.)

• Bug 34609 - [iOS] "Error MT4116: Could not register the assembly 'UnifiedSingleViewIphone1': System.NotSupportedException: Operation is not supported." when attempting to build apps for device that use IRPPreviewViewControllerDelegate or RPPreviewViewControllerDelegate. Workaround: Add Console.WriteLine (new NSSet<NSString> ()); anywhere in the application. This will prevent the NSSet<NSString> type from being linked away.

Remaining known issues from older release threads

The remaining known issues from older release threads ("Android M Support", "iOS 9 Support – Service Release 1", "Cycle 5 – Service Release 4", and earlier) are unchanged.

EDIT Nov 02: Add WatchKit App Store submission Bug 35493 and iOS Bug 34609.
EDIT Nov 10: iOS Bug 35493 now fixed in today's hotfix release.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski:
    I work with VS2013 and have just updated my machine from Win 8.1 to Win 10.
    After doing that, I have done a test with all projects unter VS2013 (including my Xamarin.Forms project).
    => All projects have worked without problems.
    Then, I have installed VS2015 (including Xamarin stuff).
    Now, I cannot open my .Forms project anymore ("project types Android and iOS are not supported").
    After investigate the problem, it seems, as the installation of VS2015 has - why ever! - removed the Xamarin integration software from my VS2013 installation!
    (to VS2015 it seems, as the version 3.11.1589 was installed).

So.. according to the (now empty) directories to VS2013, my last (working) IS version was 3.11.836.0.
    I now principally want to install my last working version (as with the newest "stable", I further have update the MAC.

I have searched for about a hour now, for a download link to the older version (3.11.836.0) and also for the newest (3.11.1589) and found... nothing.

So:
    where can I found an download-link to 3.11.836.0?
    where can I found an download-link to 3.11.1589?
    As I don't have the Xamarin icon (bonjour service) anymore to my VS2013, I have ti install it to VS2013 manually.
    => How do I have to install it to VS2013?

Thanks

@BrendanZagaeski:
    I now have spent a full day, to bring my VS2013 installation to work again...
    Please post a download link for the latest integrations software (V 3.11.1589) here.
    I will post the whole story in this thread:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/49387/your-experiences-with-update-to-win10-vs2015#latest

Thanks

• GuillaumeGirardGuillaumeGirard CAMember ✭✭

@FredyWenger download links are available in your Xamarin account at https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads

@GuillaumeGirard
    Under this link, the IS-software cannot selected directly:

So.. what have a user to select, If he only wants to download a specific version to the VS IS software...?
    You can select Xamarin for Windows or Xamarin.Android or Xamarin.iOS or Xamarin Studio...
    Or do you have to click on “Download Xamarin” and see, what then happens…?
    So why not make the life of the users a little bit easier and simply post a direct download-link here...? :wink:

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 2015

We are working on a simplified interface for https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads to make it easier to see which packages belong to which release.

For now, you can follow the directions from the "Previous versions, downgrading" section in the first post in the thread. Those instructions apply equally well to the current Stable version as to any previous versions.

In particular, at this point the simplest option would be to contact [email protected] (or use one of the "Business & Enterprise Support" email addresses) to request whichever versions you would like.

• GuillaumeGirardGuillaumeGirard CAMember ✭✭

@FredyWenger just explore a bit... You will notice that using the Windows dropboxes in fact links to the VisualStudio installers with the versions you are looking for (under Product Versions)!

@GuillaumeGirard:
    Ahh, the VS integration software is under Xamarin.iOS (and the same also under Xamarin.Android)
    Hmm... very logical (I don't have looked what's behind the dropboxes, as I have searched for the IS) :smirk:
    But thanks for clarifying - now its clear :smile:

• RuudFaessenRuudFaessen NLMember

I have seen topics on intellisense issues for XML files when developing Xamarin.Android. For both VS13 and VS15, for me, they are still not working. I am on version 3.11.1594.0 (a06d6d5), Xamarin.Android 5.1.7.12 (53fce..to long) and Xamarin.Forms.Intellisense 1.0. I use Visual Studio studio 2013 Ultimate, Update 4. And Visual Studio 2015 Enterpise.

Any topic I have missed where I can find the fix?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I have seen topics on intellisense issues for XML files when developing Xamarin.Android. For both VS13 and VS15, for me, they are still not working.

• There is one known issue for IntelliSense in Android Xamarin.Forms projects in the current Stable builds that is fixed in the current Beta channel "Cycle 6" builds. (Note that there is a separate issue (not specific to Xamarin.Forms) that requires the user to build the Android project once and then reload the solution to get the expected IntelliSense behavior.)

Bug 32622 - [XamarinVS.Android 3.11] "The type 'Object' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced." "The type 'Expression<>' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced."

• And there is one remaining known issue IntelliSense in PCL projects in Xamarin.Forms 1.4.4 and higher:

Bug 32988 - [XF 1.4.4] Modifying XAML files causes IntelliSense for references to other PCLs to fail in the ".xaml.cs" codebehind files with errors of the form "are you missing an assembly reference?"

This discussion has been closed.