Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Background updates for all devices?

Hi there,

I am planning an app as an Xamarin.Forms app, that has to connect to an service every X minutes. The service will be a WCF service. Most of the time data will only be sent back and forth, but there are also non-trivial method calls. I've read some stories about android background services or the backgrounding techniques in iOS. I wonder if there is a single way to get an app to connect to that service, ask for data (or tell the service to do something) and update the database on the device, even if the app is closed.

Answers

• RichardSevioraRichardSeviora CAMember ✭✭

I haven't seen one myself, and it doesn't appear to be part of the Xamarin Forms core service. I think you'll need to appropriately abstract for your Forms PCL, implement for each platform and go from there. I haven't came to this part yet in my work otherwise I'd give more specific guidance. Sorry :/