Plan for binding to dynamic iOS libraries from Xamarin?

PhilipHadleyPhilipHadley USUniversity ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Xamarin.iOS

Our project has a dependency on a 3rd party iOS library that is only available as "dynamic". Is there a plan for Xamarin to support binding to dynamic iOS libraries? Or, is there something technical that prevents Xamarin from being able to do this?

Tagged:

• Greg767Greg767 CHMember ✭✭

Have you read this? https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_9/xamarin.ios_9.0/
    I'd also like to implement a 3rd party framework and it might be possible now with iOS9.
    Looking at the git examples I couldn't figure out though how to include a MyFramework.framework in the binding project.

edited October 2015

@PhilipHadley I can confirm, now it is supported.

• PhilipHadleyPhilipHadley USUniversity ✭✭

Hi, @Greg767 . Thanks for the info!

Just to confirm: Do you mean to say that Xamarin now officially supports the use of Embedded Frameworks for consuming dynamic iOS libraries, using the technique described in your link above?

@PhilipHadley well, yes. That what I had done. At the moment you have to edit the csproj file manually as per the github project example to be able to import the .framework folder and you might need to create the linkwith.cs file manually for the .framework also. But other than that its the same as for a static .a lib.
    Then in you iOS project that consumes the binding, you must not enable incremental building at the moment because there is bug and the project won't compile. Otherwise it should work as expected.