Preview Release: Xamarin Studio 6.0 with Roslyn Support

• SebastienPouliotSebastienPouliot CAXamarin Team Xamurai

@BrianM can you look at Console.app to see what's being reported ? and also tell us if the same app works when executed on a device ? Please add any information to Neal's bug report. Thanks!

• BrianMBrianM USMember ✭✭
    edited April 2016

@SebastienPouliot, @NealCuliner. I installed the latest Alpha again this morning and looked at the console.app logs. The latest Xamarin.iOS is failing because of the "beta-reports-active" flag in Entitlements.plist. This has been working in the past and is required for submitting your app to TestFlight. For now, I am removing that flag for debugging.

4/13/16 8:22:22.083 AM taskgated[352]: killed org.mycompany.myapp[pid 1057] because its use of the beta-reports-active entitlement is not allowed (error code -67050)

I added this info to Neal's bug report.

• KenYeeKenYee USMember ✭✭

Anyone been able to get StyleCop to work w/ Xamarin Studio 6? We've been using it to make our code consistent and Xamarin Studio's C# formatting styles are definitely all wrong :-(

• NateCookPersonalNateCookPersonal USUniversity ✭✭

Out of curiosity @KenYee what is wrong with the formatting styles in Xamarin Studio 6? Xamarin Studio 6 now uses Roslyn's code formatter, which supposedly allows you format in a way that is exactly the same as Visual Studio. Did you select the Visual Studio settings from the dropdown? Are you sure you still need to use StyleCop with XS 6? Maybe now that XS 6 uses Rosyln's code formatter you don't need to use StyleCop anymore.

@NateCookPersonal that's the other bug I filed...Xamarin Studio 6 build 4986 doesn't seem to pay attention to the preference I set for C# formatting. I tried the SharpDevelop and VS styles. It kept doing the K&R style including adding a space between func and the params so it was doing "func (a, b) {"
    Stylecop does more than that though...it forces you to organize your public/private variables/methods etc.

• NateCookPersonalNateCookPersonal USUniversity ✭✭

@KenYee I see. StyleCop sounds interesting. Sorry that I have no experience with it though. Do you have the link to that bugzilla bug about formatting? Would like to follow the updates to that one..

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40409
    I'm back on stable for now...no stylecop kills xamarin6 for me for now :-(

• IvanMokowitchIvanMokowitch USMember
    edited April 2016

@KenYee said:
    @NateCookPersonal that's the other bug I filed...Xamarin Studio 6 build 4986 doesn't seem to pay attention to the preference I set for C# formatting. I tried the SharpDevelop and VS styles. It kept doing the K&R style including adding a space between func and the params so it was doing "func (a, b) {"
    Stylecop does more than that though...it forces you to organize your public/private variables/methods etc.

I had the same problem with an alpha release some time ago. I then found a entry on my project file, which has set the setting of the code formatting to a fixed value. After I deleted this line, the code formatting work again.

Xamarin Studio 6 build 4968 definitely has no problem with the code formatting.

@IvanMokowitch said:
    I had the same problem with an alpha release some time ago. I then found a entry on my project file, which has set the setting of the code formatting to a fixed value. After I deleted this line, the code formatting work again.

That sounds like something the upgrader should have taken care of. I'll update the bug report :-)

• For the Dark theme, is there any chance we can some more contrast on disabled labels? It's very hard to see what my current build target is while the app is running.

label contrast

• TheosTheos NLBeta ✭✭

First I want to say that I love the new interface! Soms things seems to be faster too.
    But, I'm having some lags during working with the editor.
    Using the new version since the beta-release on my iMac and MBP. Both have the lag issues during code editing.
    I'm trying to find some structure in behaviour, but I'm not really sure when the actual lag happens. Sometimes it justs freezes for about 10 to 20 seconds. In the CPU process list I can see XS then running on about 100 to 200 %.
    Maybe it's updating the intellisense.

More people have this issue? Or maybe there's a way to clear some cache?

• RasmusChristensenRasmusChristensen DKUniversity ✭✭

Can you run Xamarin Studio 6.0 side by side with Xamarin Studio 5.10? I would really love to try it out.

Are there any issues running the same project in both 5.10 and 6.0?

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

@RasmusChristensen - Yes you should be able to run Xamarin Studio 6.0 side by side with version 5. If you are on the Mac you can open the .dmg and extract the app to a folder other than Applications. You can do the same on windows. You will need a later version of Mono to run Xamarin Studio 6.0 but Xamarin Studio 5 should still work with it.

@mattward hmmm where do I download 6.0?

Oh my bad switch channel

• DenisSugakovDenisSugakov RUMember ✭✭

Hi, thanks for you great work!

Have you plan to add vi mode or remove it completely?

• KeshavGupta.4083KeshavGupta.4083 USMember, University ✭✭

Just downloaded the newest version. It is literally unusable. Everything just hangs. Switched back to version 5.10.3 I was using Version 6 until the newest point update made things worse :(

• tamas.szadvaritamas.szadvari USMember ✭✭

Same here. :( I love Version 6, but the latest version is really slow.

• DavidDunscombeWrkDavidDunscombeWrk GBMember ✭✭

Same, getting lockups quite frequently

• rocketbobrocketbob USMember ✭✭

6.1 build 817 is completely unusable for me also. Cannot edit files...tabs load with nothing to edit. Sure looks good though!

• SarunasKSarunasK LTMember

same here. alpha build 817 is completely broken

• ThibaultDThibaultD SEMember ✭✭✭

Wow.

I hadn't noticed Xamarin Studio 6 would be such a big thing. But I've just watched the keynote and it looks very promising.
    Currently, Xamarin Studio is not very good but it isn't bad either, it's really doable to work with once you know what the problems are and where things are. Of course I've been missing a few things, like code folding, but it encouraged me to keep my classes short.

But I'm impressed by what's been presented at the keynote:

1. Although I don't really care about the dark theme I do appreciate the graphical re-work as the current XS doesn't fit 100% in Mac OS
    2. Code folding. It wasn't announced during the keynote but I saw it on the screenshots.
    3. Xaml Preview. Done with waiting 30+sec before you can see how a small change affects your UI
    4. Roslyn. I didn't know who she was but I sure had noticed that the contextual help in XS did break quite easily. Great to have this fixed! (And many more improvements).

Some of these could seem like small things but all in all it will make XS become a rather good IDE.

So keep up the good work and the bug fixes guys, we're eager to be able to use Xamarin Studio 6!

• tamas.szadvaritamas.szadvari USMember ✭✭

Hmm, I've just noticed that I'm using the latest beta (6.0 build 5104), - not the alpha, that everybody else was talking about - and this version is also slow for me. The editor frequently hangs, the nuget package manager is searching for packages for a long time, and adding multiple packages with that is horribly slow. Anybody else with the same problems with this version?

• TheosTheos NLBeta ✭✭

@SzadvariTamas said:
    Hmm, I've just noticed that I'm using the latest beta (6.0 build 5104), - not the alpha, that everybody else was talking about - and this version is also slow for me. The editor frequently hangs, the nuget package manager is searching for packages for a long time, and adding multiple packages with that is horribly slow. Anybody else with the same problems with this version?

Correct. I've been working for more about two weeks on the beta-version, it has lags. Since yesterday I'm running the alpha-version, same behaviour.

I'm also more and more using the Search-bar (mostly using Ctrl+Shift+T to search a type) but often the searchbar doen't accept input anymore. In the beta/alpha this problem seems to be getting worse.
    Still haven't found a reason for it. It just happens often, but hard to report without knowing when it occurs exactly.

• ThibaultDThibaultD SEMember ✭✭✭

@Theos said:

I'm also more and more using the Search-bar (mostly using Ctrl+Shift+T to search a type) but often the searchbar doen't accept input anymore. In the beta/alpha this problem seems to be getting worse.
    Still haven't found a reason for it. It just happens often, but hard to report without knowing when it occurs exactly.

I have also noticed this problem quite often on the stable build. I usually need to restart XS.
    It's possible that it's linked to external filesystem changes, for example when I change branch in git or perform rebase.
    I usually try to close the solution when I do anything outside of XS.

• i_NateCooki_NateCook USMember ✭✭

@ThibaultD said:

@Theos said:

I have also noticed this problem quite often on the stable build. I usually need to restart XS.
    It's possible that it's linked to external filesystem changes, for example when I change branch in git or perform rebase.
    I usually try to close the solution when I do anything outside of XS.

Same here. Happens to me in the stable channel (XS 5.10.3) and restarting XS fixes it.

• NikiNiki BGMember ✭✭✭

I mentioned it on the Insights forum, but didn't get much love there, so let's try here :) We're seeing Insights reporting "null" instead of proper stack trace for exceptions (both crashes and warnings) from builds, built with XS 6.0 (5104). Anyone else experiencing it or any suggestions how to fix it?

• feriniqationferiniqation NLMember

Just out of curiosity I have tried the latest beta and I so far I was really liking it. Except of course for a few bugs, what is completely normal. But those few bugs have pushed me to get back to the stable build what at the moment is 5.10.3 (build 51). After when I switched back, I am getting these error messages what have never happend before. It happen most of the time when I am trying to debug some code.

See screenshot of message =>
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2rzba1ui3khwp7/Screenshot 2016-05-04 10.47.15.png?dl=0

Have anyone had the same kind of problems/error?

Message here:
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.939 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] error: * Assertion at ../../../../../mono/mono/mini/debugger-agent.c:5264, condition `tls->context.valid' not met
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.939 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: Stacktrace:

2016-05-04 10:46:41.939 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical:
    Native stacktrace:

2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 0 Ymonitor.ios 0x001b86dd mono_handle_native_sigsegv + 317
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 1 Ymonitor.ios 0x001c03a1 sigabrt_signal_handler + 145
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 2 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x0979f79b _sigtramp + 43
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 3 ??? 0xffffffff 0x0 + 4294967295
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 4 libsystem_c.dylib 0x0952f65d abort + 156
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 5 Ymonitor.ios 0x0034c818 _ZL12log_callbackPKcS0_S0_iPv + 88
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 6 Ymonitor.ios 0x0032eb2a log_adapter + 154
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 7 Ymonitor.ios 0x000a0c18 monoeg_assertion_message + 104
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 8 Ymonitor.ios 0x0012d086 debugger_thread + 35526
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 9 Ymonitor.ios 0x00332ba0 inner_start_thread + 240
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 10 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x0978c780 _pthread_body + 138
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 11 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x0978c6f6 _pthread_body + 0
    2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 12 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x09789f7a thread_start + 34

2016-05-04 10:46:41.943 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical:

Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
    a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries

used by your application.

Step request failed: Exception of type 'Mono.Debugger.Soft.VMDisconnectedException' was thrown.

• MarioFumagalliMarioFumagalli ITMember ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I found out that with the beta version of Xamarin studio (6.0 beta) my httpWebRequest are not working anymore.

If I downgrade to a stable everything works perfectly, when I upgrade to a beta version(6.0) the same code always throws this exception : "nameResolutionFailure" How is it possible?

• NikiNiki BGMember ✭✭✭

I've had similar issue on Android when trying to access a url with a non-standard port (88 in my case). One way to fix it is to either use 80/443 or something > 1000 or to use ModernHttpClient (I was using HttpClient for my requests already).

@Niki said:
    I've had similar issue on Android when trying to access a url with a non-standard port (88 in my case). One way to fix it is to either use 80/443 or something > 1000 or to use ModernHttpClient (I was using HttpClient for my requests already).

Thanks Niki, I am calling a web-service on a non-standard port > 1000 (in my case 8082).

For sure I will use ModernHttpClient for next projects, but I would like to know whether is a bug or something else because if I downgrade to a stable version everything is working perfectly!

• NikiNiki BGMember ✭✭✭

It's definitely a bug in my opinion - I think it has something to do with Xamarin migrating to an OkHttp based HttpClient implementation (there was some mention in the release notes). I haven't investigated since the fix was fairly easy (although it broke gzip decompression, but that's another story :smile:). I'd suggest that you either check if ModernHttpClient will work for you - it's a 1-line change, or downgrade and wait for the stable release when hopefully that will be fixed.

@Niki said:
    It's definitely a bug in my opinion - I think it has something to do with Xamarin migrating to an OkHttp based HttpClient implementation (there was some mention in the release notes). I haven't investigated since the fix was fairly easy (although it broke gzip decompression, but that's another story :smile:). I'd suggest that you either check if ModernHttpClient will work for you - it's a 1-line change, or downgrade and wait for the stable release when hopefully that will be fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try! ;)

• xCyborgxCyborg USMember ✭✭

Hi guys, can I develop iOS apps with Xamarin Studio on Windows?

• Jonathan_MoosekianJonathan_Moosekian USUniversity ✭✭

I've noticed in Xamarin Studio 6 (Version 6.1 (build 817)), when trying to rename a property on a class (using Command-R), the value I am renaming to seems to replicate over and over in odd ways.

For example, if a property name is "MyProperty" and I rename it to "CoolProperty", the result of the rename changes the property name to something like, "CoolCoolCoolCoolCoolProperty".

Anyone else experienced this? I've attached a gif showing this behavior.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

That animation doesn't look like renaming a property. Wouldn't you go to the definition of the property and do the rename there? In the animation it looks like you're selecting a place where the property is being used and trying to rename it there. Actually, it looks more like a usage of an enum value, in which case you should rename the enum value at the place where the enum is defined. In either case, doing the rename at the source should also change all references to the old value in your code.

If you're just changing which enum to use there, then you shouldn't be using the rename field function at all.

All of the above is just based on what appears in the animation, so if I've misinterpreted, please disregard.

• Jonathan_MoosekianJonathan_Moosekian USUniversity ✭✭

@DaveHunt, I've tried renaming at the source and also at the usage with the same results. In the example I showed, I was renaming an enum value, but the same occurs for class properties or methods.

• AndyDentAndyDent AUMember ✭✭

@xCyborg said:
    Hi guys, can I develop iOS apps with Xamarin Studio on Windows?

No - it still only supports Android on Windows.

• juanacostajuanacosta AUMember

I think I found one issue. I try to run a test project of WCF.
    The project build fine. When I try to run it the server show Could not launch web server.
    There is no information associated about it. I'm running Xamarin version 6.0 (build 5166) in Windows 10 Home. I believe the issue is because it cannot find the xsp server. But, it should be inside the build. As appears in another image.
    Can anyone tell if this a bug or it is some issue in my configuration.

• RainerMagerRainerMager JPMember ✭✭

Is 6.0 stable enough to use for general use yet? Also, where do I get it? I see the first post of this thread was last edited on Jan 22, so how do I get the latest builds?

This discussion has been closed.