Forum Visual Studio

Preview Release: Xamarin Studio 6.0 with Roslyn Support

• LluisSanchezLluisSanchez ESXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited January 2016

I'm glad to announce that we have published a new preview of Xamarin Studio 6.0 with Roslyn, with many improvements in F# support, and a brand new visual style with a dark theme. Please check the the initial post for more details.

Enjoy!

And please provide feedback!

• wootwoot USMember

@LluisSanchez the new changes look great, looking forward trying out the new preview, will post back with any feedback!

• stefandv-cozmosstefandv-cozmos BEMember ✭✭

No, no, no... I had a lot of problems with Visual Studio 2015 (Roslyn) and moved a month or two to Xamarin Studio to get rid of these problems. I just installed the latest Preview... and now I have exactly the same problems also in Xamarin Studio!!! No!!!! My solutions builds without any problem but the intellissense is totally useless! Check the screen capture.

• NateCookPersonalNateCookPersonal USUniversity ✭✭

@StefandeVogelaere.7446 said:
    No, no, no... I had a lot of problems with Visual Studio 2015 (Roslyn) and moved a month or two to Xamarin Studio to get rid of these problems. I just installed the latest Preview... and now I have exactly the same problems also in Xamarin Studio!!! No!!!! My solutions builds without any problem but the intellissense is totally useless! Check the screen capture.

Interesting. I recommend you open a bugzilla with more details so that particular issue can be investigated. Please also post a link to the bugzilla here. See my bugzilla above as an example. It will help the developers much more than a forum post.

• Beachside_JasonBeachside_Jason USMember ✭✭

I just tried installing XamarinStudio-6.0.0.3668.dmg. I can't get it to start. It says it can't find mono, even though I've just installed Mono 4.2 via the link provided twice (both the universal one, that didn't work, so I installed the 32 bit one). Uninstalled and reinstalled the xamarin studio preview. Same window pops up when trying to run: "Could not launch Xamarin Studio this application requires the Mono Framework". This is on a fully up-to-date mac OSX. How did you guys get it to launch?

edited January 2016

Nevermind, for anyone else that comes along if you forget to install mono 4.3 from this magic link and you instead accept the link that Xamarin Studio provides when it fails to launch, you'll get the wrong version of mono. And instead of a helpful error saying you've got the wrong version, XS just says you don't have mono, which isn't true.

• knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

FYI, on Windows, if you have Avast Antivirus installed, it will report the Xamarin MSI installer file to have an infection when you download it. You may want to contact with the Avast guys because it might be reporting a false positive here (hopefully).

@StefandeVogelaere.7446 Can you please file a bug? If you provide a test case we'll fix the issue.

@knocte Fixed, thanks!

@knocte oops, sorry. The fixed message was for @Beachside_Jason.

@LluisSanchez glad to help :smile: So far the preview version looks and is acting pretty darn slick, I'm impressed!

• @LluisSanchez said:
    @StefandeVogelaere.7446 Can you please file a bug? If you provide a test case we'll fix the issue.

I added a new bug
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37997

• @LluisSanchez are you aware that Resolving of namespaces is not working (anymore)?

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs do you have Source Analysis enabled in the global preferences? (it should be enabled by default). If it is, please file a bug, I'll take a look.

• @LluisSanchez said:
    @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs do you have Source Analysis enabled in the global preferences? (it should be enabled by default). If it is, please file a bug, I'll take a look.

Because I did a side-by-side installation, this was not enabled. Sorry, Fix is working!

• Is there any news on XAML intellisense support - or "better" support. For example using <Grid. does not give you Row for example.

• @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs said:
    Is there any news on XAML intellisense support - or "better" support. For example using <Grid. does not give you Row for example.

Added https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38063

• If I want to have side by side installation, how can I have both Mono Framework 4.2.x and 4.3 installed?
    I places the Xam Studio 6 in a different folder so I can run both XS 5 and XS 6, but it seems that the 4.3 mono installation removes the 4.2 installation. So when going back to XS 5 I now use 4.3, which I don't want.

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs It is not possible to have two versions of Mono installed side by side. In any case, XS 5 should work just fine with Mono 4.3.

• @LluisSanchez and is 4.3 "stable" for production?
    Furthermore, looking forward to a new release of xs 6 as I saw lot's of my reported bugs are fixed :-)

• marc.quomarc.quo USMember

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs

After installing Mono 4.3, I could easily install Mono 4.2 again.
    Switching between these two is done via Xamarin Studio.

• tomjonztomjonz DEMember
    edited February 2016

This version is great. I have complete uninstalled any VS and use now only Xamarin Studio 6. Only the editor is often disabled, but once I switched the focus to another app and back, the editor works fine again. I hope for a new version in the next time, please ... I love the speed of Xamarin Studio 6 vs. VS.

• How do I enable C#6 support in this preview? my shared project won't pass compilation with errors related to C#6 syntax (Windows)

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs Mono 4.3 is a preview, so in theory not recommended for production. However, I haven't found any real issue yet.

@tomaten If you file a bug we'll try to track down that editor issue

@EduardoNaveda C# 6 should work just fine in Preview 4. If you have problems with a project please file a bug and we'll try to help.

edited February 2016

@LluisSanchez said:
    @tomaten If you file a bug we'll try to track down that editor issue

My english is too bad for a detailed description. I try it here for reproducing by anyone who can make a detailed bug report:

Go to the editor and format your code from edit menu. After this, the editor is dead. Also you cannot rename any file ... Move the focus to another app and back enables the editor again.

Btw. "Add new file" does not work from "new" menu and from the project explorer.

I have a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai
    edited February 2016

@tomaten - Thanks. The bug on Windows where the text editor stops responding after a top level menu is selected has been fixed but unfortunately the fix did not make it into preview 4.

I can reproduce the problem with Add new file menu not working from the project explorer. It looks like the F# addin was compiled against FSharp.Core 4.3.1.0 which Xamarin Studio does not include on Windows. This also has been fixed recently since it caused an error when creating an F# project. The only workaround for preview 4 would be to install F# 3.1.

edited February 2016

This all sounds good. It's time for a new preview? I love the new version ... It's very fast, the new editor can beat VS 2015's editor ...

One other problem: I can save only all files, not a single file. This menu entry is disabled.

@tomaten - I am unable to reproduce the problem with the File - Save menu disabled if the file currently selected in the text editor has been modified. I tried a C# file, opened it in the text editor, made a change, then opened the File menu and all the Save menu items are enabled.

Yes this is right with the main file menu. But try to save the file with a right click on the files tab.

@tomaten - Thanks. I did not try the file's tab menu. I have opened a bug for this problem.

Any date for a new preview?

• @LluisSanchez any news on Preview 5??

@tomaten @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs There will be a new preview soon, early next week.

@RoyCornelissen.9733 Yes, it is basically the same as ModernHttpClient

• i_NateCooki_NateCook USMember ✭✭

Actually can we get some more documentation on the HttpClient stack selector? Specifically: In the release notes I see that it says "the downside is that it requires the event loop to be running for async operations to be executed". I don't recall seeing anything similar to that as a downside in the documention for ModernHttpClient, but I could be misunderstanding something. So I would like to know more about how it works.

• Stefan_CaveBirdLabsStefan_CaveBirdLabs BEMember ✭✭
    edited February 2016

It seems that the Code Formatting for XML documents is not working in Preview 4. Is this a known bug?

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs - What is not working with code formatting for XML documents? It seems OK to me but I may be trying different to you.

• @mattward Please find attached the difference between XS5 and XS6; the exact same Code Formatting settings for XML is resulting in different styles of the file. Basically, XS6 ignores a lot of settings.

Xamarin 5 - XML formatting settings

Result:

Xamarin 6 - XML formatting settings

Result:

This discussion has been closed.