Is it possible to bind to the Title of a Xarmarin ContentPage?

PaulReadPaulRead ✭✭GBMember ✭✭

I have a ContentPage showing some messages, I wish for the page title to dynamically reflect the number of unread messages e.g. 'Messages (5)' indicating the user has 5 unread messages (a useful indicator as the unread messages may have fallen off the bottom of the view)

I was hoping to do something like this:

MyContentPage.BindingContext=App.Instance.ViewModel; MyContentPage.SetBinding(ContentPage.TitleProperty,"UnReadMsgs");

but there appears to be no ContentPage.TitleProperty.

I tried using OnAppearing which is of limited success as the Messages can be updated without the page being reloaded

Would love to have some suggestions on how I can create this functionality in Xamarin Forms

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• PaulReadPaulRead ✭✭ GBMember ✭✭
  • DFoulkDFoulk ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

For anyone using FreshMvvm and Code/C# pages:

public class MyPage : ContentPage
        {
            public MyPage()
            {
                SetBinding(ContentPage.TitleProperty, new Binding("Title"));

}
        }

There was no need to manually set the BindingContext, nor was there a need to manually instantiate the Page/ViewModel in the page's class. Just simply add the above. Optionally (if you feel it's more readable), you may use this.SetBinding(...).

Thanks @AlessandroCaliaro for pointing me down the right path!

• ricardoventuraricardoventura ✭✭ Member ✭✭

@DFoulk said:

{
            public MyPage()
            {

}
        }

There was no need to manually set the BindingContext, nor was there a need to manually instantiate the Page/ViewModel in the page's class. Just simply add the above. Optionally (if you feel it's more readable), you may use this.SetBinding(...).

i use your code but didnt work. didnt appear:

SetBinding(TitleProperty, new Binding(myString));

Can somebody help me changing the page title depending on which button I select?

edited April 15

@ricardoventura said:

@DFoulk said:

{
            public MyPage()
            {

}
        }

i use your code but didnt work. didnt appear:

SetBinding(TitleProperty, new Binding(myString));

Can somebody help me changing the page title depending on which button I select?

Have you set your BindingContext? Please note, what I wrote did not set the BindingContext because that is handled by the MVVM framework that I was using (FreshMvvm).

If you share snippets of your code and explain what framework (if any) you are using, I'm sure we could help you figure it out!

edited April 15

@ricardoventura you can have a look at the documentation as well, which provides how to use Data Binding in C# (just set the appropriate BindingContext, then use the SetBinding() method to map the TitleProperty to whatever you want to bind it to (like a viewmodel property).

• ricardoventuraricardoventura ✭✭ Member ✭✭

@DFoulk said:
    @ricardoventura you can have a look at the documentation as well, which provides how to use Data Binding in C# (just set the appropriate BindingContext, then use the SetBinding() method to map the TitleProperty to whatever you want to bind it to (like a viewmodel property).

Nevermind, i was complicating what i needed. I just needed to did this:

public static Models.Manutencao _ManutencaoPag = new Models.Manutencao();
    public Manutencao2 (Models.Manutencao _ManutencaoPagina)
    {
    InitializeComponent ();
    _ManutencaoPag = _ManutencaoPagina;
    Title = _ManutencaoPag.Seccao;
    }