Alpha Release: XamarinVS 4.0.0, Cycle 6 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the new RC2 announcement:
http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/55620/beta-release-cycle-6-feature-release-release-candidate-2/p1

Thanks for all your continued participation in the release candidate process!

Bug reports wanted!

Please file a bug for any new issue you find in these Cycle 6 versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate. This Alpha release is a chance to help ensure that the final Cycle 6 Stable release will work smoothly with your specific projects and environment.

Installing the Alpha and switching back to Stable

You can install this new Alpha version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

If you prefer, you can also use a special version of the standalone combined Xamarin installer that automatically downloads all of the Alpha packages and installs them. Using this installer is equivalent to switching to the Alpha channel, except that your updater channel preference can be left at "Stable." See the release blog post for the link for Mac and Windows.

Known issue in the standalone installer

Non-public Bug 35425 - [Standalone Alpha installer] Mac-only: on some systems the standalone Alpha installer might crash on the second installation screen during some attempts to run the installer. Workaround: wait approximately 10 seconds on the first screen of the installer before clicking "Continue".

Release info

Windows

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.0.1649.msi (90e1af2)

Mac Build Host

• monotouch-9.2.1.21.pkg (9ce9e8b)

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/vs/xamarin.vs_4/xamarin.vs_4.0/

Release Blog including estimated timeline to Stable: https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-release-cycle-6-preview-update-release-candidate-1/

See the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

• [XamarinVS] [iOS] XamarinVS 4.0.0 uses a new SSH-based build host connection that no longer requires the old "Xamarin.iOS Build Host" app on the Mac. (For a few more details see the release notes and a short introduction to setting up the new SSH connection.

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

EDIT Oct 30: Update for new Alpha builds!

• SvenSven USInsider ✭✭
  • BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the heads up! Sneaky docs team changing the URL on me :)

Fixed now:
    http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/installation/windows/visual-studio-ssh/

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't seem to log in from my Windows VM to my Mac. I can see my Mac. When I select it, it is able to acquire the finger print. When I type in my credentials, I get a "Couldn't connect to My-MacbookPro-Name.local. Please try again.".

My fingerprint looks good, and the IP address is correct. In my Sharing Settings, I've selected "Remote Login", and it doesn't matter if I use "All users" or "Only these users" with my user account in the list. The user account is an admin on the Mac as well.

My setup is a Macbook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11). The latest bits from the Alpha Channel on both OS X and the Windows VM. The Windows VM is Windows 10, with the latest bits downloaded. Visual Studio 2015. Also tried different case sensitive variations of my user name.

Any ideas or the location of any logs that may help?

edited October 2015

My setup is a Macbook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

There is one open bug report under investigation to determine whether the Alpha channel requires additional fixes to be compatible with OS X El Capitan:

Bug 34240

Although Bug 34240 likely accounts for the particular problem you are seeing, I will take this chance to list a few little notes for troubleshooting the connection. As a side note, the XamarinVS team has started writing a more comprehensive troubleshooting guide for the new SSH-based build host. That guide should help address many of the common build host connectivity issues by the time Cycle 6 gets to Stable. For now I will record the few small notes I have gathered.

Logs on Windows

• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Logs

The .log and .svclog files contain essentially the same information. The .svclog files should open by default in the WCF trace viewer, which has a few nice features to help browse the information.

Logs on the Mac

• ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin-4.0

This probably will not contain anything interesting if VS has not successfully connected yet.

• /var/log/system.log

This might contain some information about sshd disallowing connections. See for example a somewhat related post from the previous Alpha thread.

Additional troubleshooting tests

• One simple test you can try is to make sure you can SSH into your Mac from Windows. Here is a bare-minimal SSH client that uses the same "SSH.NET" library used by XamarinVS.

Next steps

If these bits of information don't lead to a resolution, and Bug 34240 does not account for the problem you are seeing, don't hesitate to file a quick bug report against XamarinVS 4.0. The engineering and QA teams are attentively monitoring new bugs filed against this version. Thanks!

EDIT Oct 9: Correct the Windows log directory name. It has changed in XamarinVS 4.0 from Log to Logs (thanks chucker!).

• BjarkeSogaardBjarkeSogaard USMember ✭✭

I would like to ask, is this viable for production use, or is it truly only for the developers who's not developing a particular product, but more just experiencing/testing Xamarin as a whole? Sure, it's in Alpha, but can it actually build and debug an iOS project?

I'm asking because I am really excited about all the features presented in this new release and would like to upgrade asap, but since I am actually building apps that has to be released, I really need it to be working (or at least have work-arounds for things that aren't working).

• AlanMcGovernAlanMcGovern USXamarin Team Xamurai

If you use the alpha version and encounter an issue which can't be worked around, or you don't have the time to work around, you can always downgrade to the current stable. I'd take a read of the known issues first and if there is nothing that would definitely adversely affect you then you should be good to go.

If your particular project hits a corner case where 'build and debug' doesn't work, then that's exactly the kind of issue we would need to know about so we can fix it before shipping this to stable.

• MartinRothschinkMartinRothschink DEMember ✭✭

I tried to upgrade my environment today. On Mac Mini and Mac Book no issues, but on Windows.

Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.0.1566.msi fails with:
    Error 1609. An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel to end the install. Unable to locate the user's SID, system error 1332

This happens on my desktop (Windwos 8.1 x64 Pro) as well as on my notebook (Windows 10 x64 Pro). Both Windows Version are German!

Detailed logs attached.

• RaphaelSchindlerRaphaelSchindler USMember ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski I tried to install the latest Alpha and on the Setup Routine I'm get this error message:

An error occured while applying security settings. Users in not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connect to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel to end the install.

I added a new bug to bugzilla and install the latest beta release.

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

Not to be pedantic about it, but Miguel's post says to get the Release Candidate you should switch to the alpha channel. "Alpha" generally implies the exact opposite of "RC" in terms of quality. Are there plans to create a separate RC channel?

I realize that the RC is also available as a direct download, I'm more concerned with the mixed messaging of releasing an RC via an "alpha" distribution channel.

• GuillaumeGirardGuillaumeGirard CAMember ✭✭

@JasonAwbrey +1 same confusion in my team yesterday after Miguel announcement...

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@BrendanZagaeski

Can you make the team aware of this bug in the Alpha release, it works fine in the current stable build.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=34676

• There is a workaround for the "Users is not a valid user or group" error during installation. It seems, the the installer tries to access the user group "Users". The name of this group is different, if you don't have an english Windows installation.
    For example in a German installation it is called "Benutzer".

To get around this problem you can create a local user group called "Users" and add the groups "NT-Authorität/Authentifizierte Benutzer" and "NT-Authorität/INTERAKTIV" (German names).

With this workaround installation worked fine on my german Windows 10 x64.

Good Luck

Oliver

• MartinRothschinkMartinRothschink DEMember ✭✭

That's an "ugly" workaround for a "Release candidate".
    I'll better wait until Xamarin fixes that issue.

• SvenSven USInsider ✭✭
    edited October 2015

@OliverFuerst for me, it was enough to create the group. Unfortunately I had to do it form the console. Here are the commands if anybody else needs it:
    net localgroup Users /add net localgroup Users "NT-Authorität/Authentifizierte Benutzer" /add # not needed for me net localgroup Users "NT-Authorität/INTERAKTIV" /add # not needed for me

• SKuklauSKuklau DEMember

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log

The .log and .svclog files contain essentially the same information. The .svclog files should open by default in the WCF trace viewer, which has a few nice features to help browse the information.

Ooh, I think I see what's going on.

(By the way, in my case, both "Log\14.0" and "Logs\14.0" existed, both contained files, and the relevant one was "Logs", not "Log".)

Xamarin Warning: 0 : [2015-10-09 23:45:51.8189] Failed to execute 'find /Users/chucker/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Broker/4.0.0.1566/ | while read line ; do md5 -q $line ; done': ExitStatus=127
    Xamarin.Messaging.Client.Ssh.SshCommandRunner Warning: 0 : [2015-10-09 23:45:52.0419] Missing end to balance this while loop
    fish: find /Users/chucker/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Broker/4.0.0.1566/ | while read line ; do md5 -q $line ; done
    ^

You're apparently running an ad-hoc shell script with bash syntax, but my account uses fish not bash.

I've amended my bug report. Temporarily setting /bin/bash seems to do the trick.

• peterburkepeterburke AUMember

Hi Brendan Zagaeski

Recall back in February - December 2014 you responded to a thread https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/3696/ about doing remote builds from windows to OSX using command line?

Well this does not work in this Alpha release. Not surprising really, but I am wondering how it can be possible.

So after some experimentation to eliminate the obvious, my command line reads:
    msbuild.exe
    "Presenter.Touch.csproj"
    /t:_RemoteBuild
    /p:ServerAddress=10.100.100.62;Configuration="Debug";Platform="iPhoneSimulator";OutputPath="App\bin\iPhoneSimulator\Debug"

I have visual studio running and I am able to do the remote build from there. I am assuming that VS has set up SSH and we are ready to go.

The error I get is: error MSB4057: The target "_RemoteBuild" does not exist in the project.

As I recall, the "_RemoteBuild" target was loaded by MSBUILD via some Xamarin extensions, starting with the c# extensions.

The need: we need to be able to do automated builds, e.g. TFS / TeamCity etc. to block code check-in when code no longer compiles.

So I am wondering what you have planned, but this is not an urgent problem so reply at your convenience.

edited October 2015

@peterburke regarding to the thread you referred, the final solution was to use the Build target on the solution file, and no longer the _RemoteBuild target on the csproj file. So the proper command line was something like msbuild YourSolution.sln /p:Configuration=AppStore;Platform=iPhone.

I installed latest alpha (4.0.0.1566) on VS2013 and did the test.
    The solution is properly built locally, but no remote build was accomplished. I got the following warning in build log
    msbuild MySolution.sln /p:Configuration=Release;Platform=iPhone [...] (_SayHello target) -> C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Windows.After.targets(54,5): warning VSXRunBuildLocally: The project MySolution was built while disconnected from a Mac agent, so only the main assembly was compiled. Connect to a Xamarin Mac build agent to build the full application. [C:\Path\To\My\Solution\MySolution\MySolution.iOS.csproj]

I previously properly paired my VS with my OS X box using the new SSH client wizard.
    Building from within VS was OK.

@BrendanZagaeski Are you aware of any limitations on this point with the alpha version? Would you require any bugs/sample/logs to investigate this issue prior the final release?

Thanks Guillaume

As far as I can tell from investigating the Alpha release and from the Xamarin Log:

Starting Broker 4.0.0.1566 in port 52896...
    SSH Connection established with the Mac 10.100.100.62:22:52896
    Starting agents on Mac Peters-Mac-mini.local (10.100.100.62)
    Activating the Mac...
    Starting Agent IDB 4.0.0.1566...
    Connected to the Mac Peters-Mac-mini.local (10.100.100.62) with Limited support.
    Agent IDB 4.0.0.1566 is running
    Starting Agent Build 4.0.0.1566...
    Agent Build 4.0.0.1566 is running
    Starting Agent Designer 4.0.0.1566...
    Agent Designer 4.0.0.1566 is running
    Connected to the Mac Peters-Mac-mini.local (10.100.100.62) with Full support.

So it has used SSH to start up 3 services and these I believe are WCF services because the logs on the windows box are of type .svclog. MSBUILD runs a Xamarin component that from your log would appear to do the remote stage using the service.

However the log is telling us that the remote build was disconnected but seems to imply that it would work if connected.

It is not yet clear if we can bring up these services without Visual Studio, but this is what would be required for automated building and testing prior to checking in code changes.

Just created a bug report for the command line build issue here: Bug 34902 - Unable to remote build iOS app from Visual Studio command line

After reading through Bug 34902 I can now get this working.

For what I am doing, I do not want to rebuild the whole solution as this would already have been done in my build process.

msbuild.exe "Example.iOS.csproj"
    /p:ServerAddress=10.100.100.62;Configuration="Debug";Platform="iPhoneSimulator";
    OutputPath="App\bin\iPhoneSimulator\Debug"
    /p:ServerUser=peterburke

This resulted in "Build Succeeded" and zero errors.
    Also it output the location of the exe: /Users/peterburke/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/ExampleiOS/
    fbc5dec50f38c5174992b4793cccbf54/App/bin/iPhoneSimulator/DebugExampleiOS.app

And I found that on the Mac.

Plus it output:
    _SayGoodbye:
    Disconnecting from the Mac server...
    The underlying client has been closed

I had the Visual Studio up during this test and apparently it would not have worked otherwise because the services would not have been up plus there is no password parameter in the above build, requires the SSH login to have been previously done.

Suppose on the build server I did not want to have VS manually open.

There is an example program given previously in this blog that will log onto the Mac:
    https://gist.githubusercontent.com/brendanzagaeski/d963d1e031dbaffb5fe9/raw/Program.cs

So it will be possible to log on SSH. The last remaining issue is how to start the build services on the Mac,

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    edited October 2015

@BrendanZagaeski

Just noticed if you try and digitally sign an Android application and try and open any dialog in the APK signing dialog Visual Studio hangs. And button that opens a file dialog hangs Visual Studio 2013 (Update5). Win10 x64.

Have to revert back to stable as I need this, shame as I was enjoying the iOS integration :smile:

• AndyDentAndyDent AUMember ✭✭

I am confused on a few points - firstly as @JasonAwbrey said - an RC is not what you expect on an Alpha channel. What I'm most worried about is getting things broken by other stuff that's Alpha quality. If it is RC why is it not beta or is this a totally parallel process? Are we better using the RC installers than channels and, if we use an installer, how will that be different going forward? Would we need to use that installer now and keep it on the Alpha channel after?

Secondly, the post says switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels. Is this guaranteed to uninstall and do a true rollback?

I had the impression that it just meant you were no longer notified of Alpha or Beta releases. At one point, I've had to completely wipe and re-install Xamarin to get back to a Stable build and I'm not sure if that was an aberration or is standard behaviour. There's a huge difference between just changing notifications versus re-installing stable software.

I need to be able to explain the implications of this change to a few people and want to

thanks
    Andy

• From VS2015 I can correctly debug and deploy to an iPad, but I cannot test on the simulator...
    If I select "Debug/iPhoneSimulator" I have the error "Please select a valid device before running the application" when I start the debug session...

Anyone with the same problem...?

Thanks,
    David

Make sure your Xcode Devices list doesn't contain simulators this Xamarin build isn't yet familiar with, such as the iPad Pro and Apple TV.

• DavidLorenzin.3140DavidLorenzin.3140 ITMember
    edited October 2015

@chucker how can I refresh the simulators list I see from Visual Studio... ? In XCode I can see many simulators, from VS I have only that one (giving me the error...).
    I also cannot see all the certificates and provisioning profiles I have on my mac from VS too, I only see "Automatic" from the Build options, but it compiles correctly :)

I find that the list sometimes fails to refresh when there's an error, and in my case, the error was that this build of Xamarin doesn't know those newer Apple devices yet. Removing them from Xcode, then going to VS and closing and reopening the project properties helps in my case.

Thanks everyone for the bug reports so far on the Cycle 6 "Release Candidate" version 0!

Cycle 6 "Release Candidate" version 1 has been published to the Alpha channel today, and the standalone installers have been updated accordingly.

I have updated the version numbers in the first post in the thread and updated the bug-filing link for these new versions. Please continue to submit any bugs you might find. Many thanks!

• MarkFredricksonMarkFredrickson USMember ✭✭

I'm brand new to iOS development and am having a challenge connecting to my iPhone. I can connect and debug on the simulator but when I try to debug on the iPhone I get the following build error:

No installed provisioning profiles match the installed iOS code signing keys.

I have my App Developers Account setup with all the Certificates, App Ids, Devices, and Provisioning Profiles and I can deploy an XCode app to my iPhone from my Mac. Am I missing a Windows Visual Studio 2013 or Mac Xamarin Studio step?

Any help would be most appreciated as I'm stuck and out of ideas.

Thanks.

I create a test PCL app and it worked so there is something wrong with my Shared to PCL conversion app. I think I'll start with a fresh PCL app and add my code into it and see if that works.

• LesCandleLesCandle USMember ✭✭
    edited November 2015

While using VS2015->Tools->Options->Xamarin on Win7-64 to upgrade to the alpha 4.0.0.1649, Xamarin Setup gives an error for 'Could not set file security for file 'F:\Config.Msi\'. Error: 3. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to modify the security permissions for this file.

The F: drive is NEVER setup anywhere within VS2015 to be used for temp files, and hasn't been used previously with any of the alpha channel updates. There's 83GB available on C, where the normal temp folders are located, so I have no idea why it would try to use this, except that it F: does have a few TB instead of 83GB available.

The F: drive was created by using 'subst F: H:\FFolder' - so ... it's not really even a drive, and the Config.Msi that's located there is a folder, not a file. The H:\FFolder\Config.Msi folder does have 'full control' set for the Administrators group, which of course was used to install the Alpha from within Visual Studio 2015 ->Tools.

How do I stop it from trying to use the F drive - and why isn't it just using the available normal folders on the C drive? Any why has it suddenly started to try to use the F: drive?

BTW - it completely un-installs Xamarin after this error, which takes maybe 1.5 to 2 hours to re-install from the VS2015 Add-remove programs->Modify screen. Then, it fails exactly the same way when I try to upgrade to the Alpha (and un-installs Xamarin while rolling back the install ... again).

config.msi is used by Windows Installer; it's not Xamarin-specific. Is your %systemdrive% or some other environment variable perhaps set to F:?

which takes maybe 1.5 to 2 hours to re-install from the VS2015 Add-remove programs->Modify screen

You can reinstall the Xamarin extensions using the individual Xamarin .msi installer from https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads. (See also the screenshot at the bottom of the KB article on downgrading.)

This should be much faster than using the Visual Studio installer's "Modify" option.

config.msi is used by Windows Installer; it's not Xamarin-specific. Is your %systemdrive% or some other environment variable perhaps set to F:?

No, that's set to C:. I looked thru all the environment variables. Every single one was set to use folders on the C: drive. TEMP and TMP are both located on C:\

You can reinstall the Xamarin extensions using the individual Xamarin .msi installer from https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads. (See also the screenshot at the bottom of the KB article on downgrading.)

This should be much faster than using the Visual Studio installer's "Modify" option.

That install wants to install Xamarin Studio, and I only want to re-install Xamarin inside of VS2015.
    Also, for some reason when running that install, I only see the Adroid SDK listed in the requirements (no IOS?), hopefully this last rollback/un-install of Xamarin when attempting the RC1 alpha install from within VS2015 didn't mess something up?

Visual Studio 2015 is acting differently this time, as the Tools->Options->Xamarin menu is still visible inside VS2015 (it wasn't the 1st time it got rolled back by the RC1 Alpha), but it doesn't work anymore. I also get a Visual Studio Error when starting Visual Studio. I'm including screen shots from both errors.

BTW - I've been installing the alpha releases for maybe 2 months without any errors like this during installation. Something has changed with your new Alpha/RC1 install? I haven't touched my environment variables or removed or added any drives. I was able to use the new Mac connectivity method, so I was very hopeful about this RC.

• GaryFrancisGaryFrancis GBMember

An issue that I've found with the latest C6 release, is that I am no longer able to find any distribution identities/provisioning profiles from VS2015. The development ones display as expected, but no distribution ones at all. They were there before the upgrade, and they appear correctly in Xamarin Studio on the Mac. I've raised a support issue for this already, but as yet no response - https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=35615.

I'm also battling with the fact that I can't use a storyboard layout as my launch screen if compiling with VS2015. I know this is listed as a known issue, but is preventing me from using VS for my development.

Both of these issues combined have meant that I've needed to switch to XS on the Mac for development (or at least release building). I'd love to get back to using VS for development though - does anyone have any ideas how to work around these issues?

Gary

That install wants to install Xamarin Studio, and I only want to re-install Xamarin inside of VS2015.

You'll want to download the individual .msi that is specifically for XamarinVS, as shown in the screenshot at the bottom of the KB article on downgrading.

(In contrast, the "big blue button" downloads a .exe "combined installer" that attempts to detect any missing packages and then automatically download and run the corresponding individual .msi installers. That auto-detection is only a lightweight feature, so for example it currently does not allow custom scenarios like skipping Xamarin Studio.)

You'll want to download the individual .msi that is specifically for XamarinVS, as shown in the screenshot at the bottom of the KB article on downgrading.

(In contrast, the "big blue button" downloads a .exe "combined installer" that attempts to detect any missing packages and then automatically download and run the corresponding individual .msi installers. That auto-detection is only a lightweight feature, so for example it currently does not allow custom scenarios like skipping Xamarin Studio.)

Thanks - I'll give that a try, but this time, using VS 2015 setup's modify got Xamarin back in place within 10 minutes, as I guess it had already downloaded the files.

So, I issued a "Subst F: /d" command to completely get rid of my F drive and from within VS2015 used Tools->Options->Xamarin to install the alpha.

However, it failed again, this time complaining about not being able to set file security for G:\Config.Msi (last time it complained about F:).

G is also a Subst drive. This leads me to believe that the install is simply looking for the largest drive it can find, going in alphabetical order - and has nothing to do with any environment variables at all.

Again, possibly it should just use the normal Temp or Tmp folders on C: that have plenty of room?

1, Check to see if there's enough room on Temp
    2. Use Temp

As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm still failing so I figured I would try it your way as I cannot delete the G drive as it contains all my VS projects - and VS2015 would forget them all if it noticed they were missing.

I looked at the My Account->Downloads and the window I see after 'view all versions' is very different than the image in your post. For instance, Xamarin.IOS is missing.

And the only version I can download is 5.9.6 from Sep 11 2015 (which doesn't sound like the alpha RC1 for Visual Studio, but ... more like Xamarin Studio for Windows?

What am I missing? How can I get the latest alpha RC1 installed in Visual Studio 2015?

For instance, Xamarin.IOS is missing.

To paraphrase the KB article on downgrading:

These links will not appear if you only have a Trial or Starter subscription. If you need to downgrade while using Trial or Starter licenses, please send an email to [email protected], and we will send you the download links you need.

(If you are currently logged in with an Indie, Business, or Enterprise account, the web site logic might be mistaken for your account, but in any case you can still email [email protected] to request whichever installers you would like.)

How can I get the latest alpha RC1 installed in Visual Studio 2015?

The store downloads page only displays Stable versions, so you can either:

(a) Install the current Stable versions, and then switch to the Alpha updater channel.

or

(b) Request the individual RC1 installers by emailing [email protected].

This leads me to believe that the install is simply looking for the largest drive it can find, going in alphabetical order

If you get a chance, please do file a bug report describing this problem. You can use this link that is pre-filled with version information so that you only need to fill out the Summary and Description. Thanks!

I upgraded to 4.0 C6 with VS 2013 and it's working pretty good except for the Xamarin.Mobile component (v7.7). The following code throws a Linq exception.

AddressBook addressBook = new AddressBook(Application.Context) { PreferContactAggregation = true }; foreach (Contact contact in addressBook.Where(c => c.Emails.Count() > 0)) ...
    Exception: Expression of type 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1[Xamarin.Contacts.Contact]' cannot be used for return type System.Linq.IQueryable1[Xamarin.Contacts.Contact]'

I filed a bug (35244). Any chance of getting this fixed relatively soon or maybe a work around? I'd like to deploy my app to my beta testers but I kinda need this to work.

Thanks.

If you get a chance, please do file a bug report describing this problem. You can use this link that is pre-filled with version information so that you only need to fill out the Summary and Description. Thanks!

Thanks for the info about getting an installer by email. I may let the dust settle and resume trying with the RC1 later, a bit tired of pulling my hair out with install issues for now.

I just reported this as bug 35750.

BTW - is there a log file created during the install of updates from within VS2015? This would seem invaluable to debugging the install? I'd be glad to append that to the bug report, if possible.

This discussion has been closed.