Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Why is my App so large in size in Appstore?

kenNETkenNET SEMember ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Xamarin.iOS

Hi,

I have an app that App Store say is 77Mb. My project code (inc ext libs and images) is 4.5Mb and my ".ipa" file that i sent to App Store is 32Mb. The project is build with Xamarin Studio from "Unified Empty".

Why so big in App Store?

Tagged:

Answers

• officialkrystinofficialkrystin USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

Check the "Linker Options" in your iOS Build Settings. If it's set to "Don't link" your project size will be very large because you aren't allowing the linker to strip out unused methods.

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Also, if you are providing support for multiple architectures, your app deliverable will increase in size considerably. Please see the 64 Bit and Binary Size Increases section of our 32/64 bit Platform Considerations documentation for more details.

• kenNETkenNET SEMember ✭✭

Yes I have "Don't Link" set, this since I have a few external libraries. The other modes give me compiling errors.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Having "Don't Link" set will now strip anything, including the Mono Runtime, which will make your app huge. At a minimum you'll have to set it to "SDK Assemblies Only". You'll have to work through the errors if you want to get that binary size down.

• kenNETkenNET SEMember ✭✭

If I use "SDK Assemblies Only" I get compiling errors. Most are "_Audio" related. The external lib I use is an audioengine.

Here is my arguments for the libs:
    -cxx -gcc_flags "-L${ProjectDir} -lbass -lbassmix -lbass_fx -lbassopus -force_load ${ProjectDir}/libbass.a ${ProjectDir}/libbassmix.a ${ProjectDir}/libbass_fx.a ${ProjectDir}/libbassopus.a"